The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 17, 2009, 07:22 PM   #1
1ricochet

New changes to Az Gun Laws "No Dry Ice"

They have inserted a new clause stating that you cannot have "Dry Ice" near your weapon. Why would this be? I can't find anything on the web and hope someone might help. The bill was signed into law just a couple of days ago which also changed the law about brandishing your weapon if you are being threatened with physical or deadly harm (among other situations.

Last edited by 1ricochet; July 17, 2009 at 07:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Old July 17, 2009, 07:26 PM   #2
IZinterrogator

I saw that, too. I wasn't sure if I should laugh or cry about the stupidity of the people that we have decided to let represent us.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old July 17, 2009, 07:57 PM   #3
1ricochet

I read it 3 times LOL thinking I was missing something, but what really matters is the change to the brandishment ( if thats a word) conditions which was sorely needed (not to get off the subject) but I always thought Dry Ice turns to Vapor instantly under the extreme conditions of primer and exploding gunpowder *smile* I did kind of think that they might know something that I didn't. They probably saw some stupid movie and believed it, IMHO
Old July 17, 2009, 08:18 PM   #4
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Somebody please provide a link to this law.
Old July 17, 2009, 08:32 PM   #5
Farmland

Dry ice bombs are illegal in Arizona, though I don't know what the connections to guns are.
Old July 17, 2009, 08:40 PM   #6
Farmland

That is what the law pertains to, the dry ice bomb.

3. Manufacturing, possessing, transporting, selling or transferring a prohibited weapon, except that if the violation involves dry ice, a person commits misconduct involving weapons by knowingly possessing the dry ice with the intent to cause injury to or death of another person or to cause damage to the property of another person; or

Full law link

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2280653/posts
Old July 17, 2009, 08:41 PM   #7
Farmland

Ok some people might not know what a dry ice bomb is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_ice_bomb
Old July 17, 2009, 09:21 PM   #8
kozak6

This is so totally bizarre.

I would also very much like to see a link to the article.

There appears to be two potential bills the original poster is talking about, neither of which have passed yet, to the best of my knowledge.

The first is HB 2439, and the other is SB 1243.

What gets me is that that neither bill has anything to do with dry ice, or dry ice bombs.

I call shenanigans. 1richochet, where on earth did you hear about this?

I don't think you (or I) can find anything on the internet about it because it just isn't so.
Old July 17, 2009, 09:48 PM   #9
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

13-3102(A)(3) Manufacturing, possessing, transporting, selling or transferring a prohibited weapon, except that if the violation involves dry ice, a person commits misconduct involving weapons by knowingly possessing the dry ice with the intent to cause injury to or death of another person or to cause damage to the property of another person;

Don't see a problem here. You have dry ice? Mens rea attaches to any supposed offense - This means that a prosecutor must prove that you intended to make an dry ice bomb. No (assembled) bomb? No Intent? No crime.
Old July 17, 2009, 10:36 PM   #10
Jason607

In GA you can't carry an ice cream cone in your back pocket either, but thank goodness this law only applies on Sunday or I don't know what I would do. I'm not sure if you can carry the ice cream cone on Sunday if you keep it consealed or if you have a Ice Cream Cone Carry Permit and when I called to ask they just hung up on me.

Stupid laws are a direct reflection of the people who made them.

You know this law is the result of some dummy doing something stupid that resulted in something bad happeneing and of course politicians came to the rescue to make it all right.
Old July 18, 2009, 12:13 AM   #11
Wildalaska

Why is the dry ice bomb law a stupid law?

WildcuriousAlaska TM
Old July 18, 2009, 12:53 AM   #12
chris in va

I'm guessing they're really fun, just overly dangerous.
Old July 18, 2009, 08:58 AM   #13
Mike Irwin
Staff

Must

make

dry

ice

bomb!

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 18, 2009, 09:21 AM   #14
Dragon55

OK so when are they gonna outlaw the Mentos in a Pepsi bottle "bomb" ?

Or the 'tater gun' ??

Last edited by Dragon55; July 18, 2009 at 09:21 AM. Reason: more info
Old July 18, 2009, 09:22 AM   #15
teeroux

How bout toilet bowl cleaner, aluminum foil, and empty plastic coke bottle law?:barf:
Old July 18, 2009, 10:33 AM   #16
johnwilliamson062

I was once acquainted with a guy who was disallowed from purchasing dry ice as part of his probation. In three states!!! He had some good stories and knowledge.

They are extremely dangerous at close range, very easy to make and the ingredients are very available. Hard to get exact timing on them, but easy to make them go off in 15-20 minutes.

You know that pocket behind the drivers seat you can put maps and such into? Check it everyday before you get in your car to commute to work
Old July 18, 2009, 10:54 AM   #17
Don P

This may pertain to the lead post. The boys from Mythbusters did this in the desert. Dry ice and gunpowder and one hell of an BANG! It sure looked like one nasty bomb.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old July 18, 2009, 11:54 AM   #18
B. Lahey

Quote:
The boys from Mythbusters did this in the desert. Dry ice and gunpowder and one hell of an BANG!
That was thermite, not gunpowder.

Quote:
In GA you can't carry an ice cream cone in your back pocket either...

Stupid laws are a direct reflection of the people who made them.
Not a stupid law exactly, just meant to prevent a very specific crime. Think about it, it's about horse thievery without the use of ropes or anything else incriminating. A horse will follow you anywhere on its own if you have an icecream cone in your back pocket.

Probably happened a few times and they coudn't do anything about it under the existing law.
Old July 18, 2009, 01:56 PM   #19
rampage841512

Quote:
Because it is an unnecessary restriction on individual freedom.
Old July 18, 2009, 02:17 PM   #20
Wildalaska

Quote:
Because it is an unnecessary restriction on individual freedom.
Really? Can you tell me how it is a restriction on individual freedom?

WildorshallisuspectwehavelittlemorethansloganeeringhereAlaska ™
Old July 18, 2009, 05:29 PM   #21
johnwilliamson062

Guys, this is obviously aimed at eliminating dry ice bullets...
Geeesh, some slow thinkers on here...
Old July 18, 2009, 05:46 PM   #22
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Friend of mine was a coach for the Chicago Fire soccer team. He came home one day and found his son in the hospital blinded because some low life planted a dry ice bomb and he took the blast in his face. Devastated my friend, he had a nervous break down and never coached again. Wouldn't leave home and leave his son unattended anymore. Those bombs are not funny.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old July 18, 2009, 09:25 PM   #23
Farmland

One thing to seriously consider when thinking about dry ice. Bombs which do not explode are a major safety problem. They cannot be left, yet cannot be safely approached.

Because dry ice bombs are so dangerous, in some areas possession of these devices is a felony.

Make one of these in a glass container and you have a very effective IED.

Denver News

DENVER -- Teens may think making dry ice bombs are fun, but police warn they are dangerous and anyone caught with such a device could face felony charges.
Old July 18, 2009, 09:32 PM   #24
tyme
Staff

Quote:

WildcuriousAlaska TM
You're saying that existing laws against harming people do not criminalize the act of making a dry ice bomb and using it in a way that hurts someone?

By the time they get done passing specific laws for every single possible weapon variant, the criminal code will stretch from here to the moon.

Next up: vinegar and baking soda.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old July 18, 2009, 09:47 PM   #25
Farmland

I think that the dry ice bomb is not really a gun related part of the law for Arizona. I didn't take the time to read or understand the entire context of the law.

I think any type of a bomb should be considered a felony. Maybe there could be better wording to the extent that any type of bomb, explosive device made is illegal regardless of what material is used.

You know the government they think they are elected to pass laws. I often thought how nice it would be if we could go four years with no new laws.