The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 17, 2012, 09:47 PM   #1
pspc271

185gr. Berrys & XTP w/Titegroup Results & Questions

I will try not to make this to long, just wanted to post some results and ask a few questions. I am new to reloading so this is all a learning process for me.

First the loads, all were fired threw my FN FNP-45 which has a 5.3 inch barrel. All brass was once fired Speer and Winchester brass and reloaded with Remington Large Pistol Primers. I was shooting from 10 yards standing unsupported.

I originally started with 100 230gr Hornady FMJ RN loaded over 4.6gr of Titegroup. Shot flawlessly and grouped very well. Was very soft shooting, noticeably less recoil than Walmart white box. I had a couple of jams, failure to feed, but attribute that to a possible faulty magazine for the moment.

Next I loaded Berry's 185gr HBRN plated bullets, 10 rounds each at 5.0gr, 5.2gr, 5.4gr, and 5.8gr, all again with Titegroup. I found that at 5.0gr the gun stove piped on every round and shot placement was inconsistent. 5.2-5.8 functioned well but the lower loads were again very soft recoiling. The 5.8gr load produced the tightest grouping and was still very easy to handle.

I then loaded 185gr Hornday XTPs with 5.8 and 6.0gr of Titegroup this time in nickel plated Speer brass. For some reason even though I used the same die setup as I did for the standard speer/ winchester brass most of the Nickel cases would not feed properly but would fire if individually fed. Almost seemed if the bell had not been removed and was hanging the case up. Anyways, it seemed the 5.8gr loading fired the tightest group, recoil was completely manageable and not noticeably different from a factory hollow point.

Unfortunately I do not have a chrono so I feel like I'm missing out on half of the data that I could have gotten from this work up.

Now for the questions.

1. Why do the 230gr FMJs with less powder fire and cycle the gun fine but a lighter bullet with more powder wont?

2. The Hodgen website says a max load for a 185gr bullet with Titegroup should be 5.5gr but the Hornday book say 6.2gr. Why such a big difference and how do I know which is correct or safest?

3. Any idea what my velocity would be for 5.8gr of Titegroup with the both the plated Berry's bullet and the Horandy XTP?

4. Any suggestions for improvement or changes?

I examined all cases and with my limited knowledge/ experience I did not see any signs of over pressure.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and for any comments, suggestions, or recommendations!
Old April 18, 2012, 06:41 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

no order

Switch to W231.
Heavier bullets provide more slide momentum.
All bullets are different.
Stick with 230g bullets in the 45 ACP.
Crimp case mouth to .469--.470".
Old April 18, 2012, 08:49 AM   #3
CS86

I'm not sure what your COAL is with the hornady bullets, but I would work with your COAL a little bit. I would try and shorten your COAL a little first, but start with the lower load again. and see if you still get jams. Keep in mind that shortening the COAL will increase pressure. This is why I say start with the lower loads. Or maybe you are too short and need to lengthen the COAL.