The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 10, 2010, 03:03 AM   #1
bamaranger

ultimate lazy turkey hunter

So I'm out on the state land the other day, on foot along a gravel road that passes through some gobbler country, listening and glassing. Trucks go by now and again, but that's not uncommon. I've seen lots of birds strutting on this stretch, I may see or hear one.

So I'm off the gravel, leaned up against a tree, full camo, when a truck eases into sight , 1/4 mi or so off. It slows, stops, guy leans out the window w/ a box call, and ........yawk......yawk........yawk. Never even shut off the truck.

Drives on past, stops, 100 or so yds or so down..yawk, yawk, yawk..same deal. Drives out of sight......but in the distance, again, the box call.

Good grief, does this guy not know that a gobbler KNOWS that a hen does not drive a 4x4 Chevy. Sure, birds gobble at the darndest things, but.....out the window? A gravel road......crunch, pop, rumble!!!

Everybody wants to strike a bird from the road, from the truck! Which suits me fine.

Road warrior's, that's what I call'em.
Old April 10, 2010, 04:08 AM   #2
youp

I have a good friend that stepped on a landmine in 'Nam... That is how he does things. Patriot is what I call him.
Old April 10, 2010, 02:05 PM   #3
grubbylabs

Same thing with elk bugling around here, its amazing how many people drive around slamming doors and bugling for bulls.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old April 12, 2010, 01:54 AM   #4
bamaranger

no disrespect intended

Hey I've got the greatest respect for vets, and admire anybody that's got a disability or up in years, but still has the drive and ambition to carry on.

No disrespect was intended in my story. Thought it was funny myself.

Why do some folks get so darn serious?
Old April 12, 2010, 04:31 AM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Bama, I have a chair bound buddy that hunts from his cherokee often and you wouldn't know unless you see him park and assemble the chair to retrieve his downed game...

As for spooking the game, I feel that often they don't spook as easy as we think.

I have driven past a field and pulled off real quiet like and sneaky snaked back to watch a huge flock of turkeys only to find them already gone but nearly locked up the brakes to stop right adjacent to the same flock a week later and when junior got out he slammed his door and the birds just looked up and walked a few yards further away real calm and went back feeding...

Brent
Old April 12, 2010, 04:44 AM   #6
youp

All I meant was there really are instances where that is all a hunter can do. I always try to look at it from another person's perspective.

There are quite a few slob hunters that do run the backroads here shooting turkeys from the window of a car or truck. Whitetails too for that matter. Forest Service roads become a slow parade of vehicles when Sept 15 rolls around, that is when Ruffed Grouse season opens and the birds come to the road for grit. A retired Warden told me there is usually a 12 pack of beer involved. Most of these slobs do not care if there are 'No Trespassing' signs or not. That part of gun safety where the 'beyond your target' is also ignored.

Michigan Game Law enforcement has radio controlled decoys to catch some of these folks. The decoys are pretty good and they do get a few every year.