The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

View Poll Results: How you choose to reload?
Hand Load 4 2.29%
Single Stage Press 84 48.00%
Turret Press 38 21.71%
Progressive Press 49 28.00%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 19, 2009, 02:36 PM   #26
Doodlebugger45

I reload very slowly.
Old May 19, 2009, 02:45 PM   #27
Dustin0

Lee classic turret for 45. acp

Ponsness/Warren 800b for shotgun
Old May 21, 2009, 06:17 PM   #28
James R. Burke

I use a RCBS single stage. Like the other post said I also have a bunch of stuff to go with it. I try to stay precise with each round one at a time. But I do not reload as much has some of the folks on this site. You know the ones that are good they know what there talking about, and I have learned alot just from reading there replys. Seems like alot of the same ones always willing to help out.
Old May 21, 2009, 06:20 PM   #29
armsmaster270

I have an RCBS single stage, a Lee turret & Dillon 550b
Old May 21, 2009, 07:00 PM   #30
Bboomer

The Progressives are used the most, but it all entirely depends on what I am loading for.
Old May 31, 2009, 07:28 PM   #31
oldreloader

I load single stage.I just enjoy reloading.
Old May 31, 2009, 08:25 PM   #32
RamSlammer

For decapping and resizing, I use one of the cheapo Lee Reloader presses. Drilled a hole through my bench where it drops spent primers and have a cup hanging on a hook underneath to catch the spent primers. That keeps all the spent primer mess off my main press. After tumbling, I decap/resize all brass and store it that way until ready to load. Always try to keep 2K+ of such "ready to go" brass on hand in the calibers I load most.

For all other functions I use a lee 4 hole turret with auto index. Just start at the priming stage with the Safety prime used over an open turret spot, then index to powder through expanding die with a Pro Auto Disk measure riding above; from there index to the seating die, then to a Factory Crimp die. Starting with decapped/resized brass get me up to 250+ rounds of pistol ammo from the turret press which is plenty for my needs.

An added bonus to this method is that for revolver loads where I don't use the FCD, I can disengage the index rod and get 2 calibers on one turret wheel.

Same for rifle rounds, but I disengage the auto-index and omit the FCD.
Old May 31, 2009, 11:40 PM   #33
Crankylove

I reload with a Redding single stage.......cause its what I have. I am hoping to upgrade to a progressive press in the future, hopefully sooner than later.
Old June 1, 2009, 03:27 AM   #34
handlerer

I use a RCBS Supreme single stage, but I trickle every charge and measure and trim every case. I even weigh every case and bullet and sort accordingly. I chrono every round going down range. These steps may seem compulsive to some, but the results when everything comes together are worth it. I enjoy trying many different bullet and powder combinations. I enjoy shooting period, whether hunting, target shooting or just plinking.
Old June 1, 2009, 07:38 AM   #35
FlyFish

RCBS Rockchucker single-stage for almost all rifles, handgun cartridges that I don't shoot a lot of (e.g., .380 ACP, .44 Mag), and tasks such as swaging primer pockets.

Hornady LnL AP for .223 and most of the handgun cartridges.
Old June 2, 2009, 10:11 AM   #36
dodge

I use a RCBS Rockchucker for all my reloading. I can load a box of 20 rifle rounds in about 20 minutes. During the winter when I'm not shooting much due to the weather and no indoor range close by I do most of my reloading so I don't care how long it takes me. In the summer when I do most of my shooting I will do some loading on the days that it rains so I always have rounds loaded for when I can get to go shooting.
Old June 2, 2009, 03:28 PM   #37
putteral

I use a Lee single stage press. I am retired, cast my own boolits, hand clean my brass,enjoy reloading and shoot at least once a week.
Old June 2, 2009, 03:43 PM   #38
Sam06

Sober

When I am Sober enough to Handload I use either:

1. Dillon 550B (progressive) for handgun cartridges

2. Forester Co-Ax for Most Rifle Cartridges(Single Stage)

3. Redding T-7 for some Cartridges like 375 Win, 30-30 and 45/70(turret)

4. Sinclar Arbor for a few widcats I have that require it.

So I voted all...........But that was not a choice so I am going to go have a drink now.....
Old June 4, 2009, 12:14 AM   #39
Dannyl

reloading choices

For handguns (9mm,0.40,0.45,0.357) I use a Lee 100 Progressive press.
For rifle - 3006 - single stage Lee Press.

Handgun Ammo I do in batches of about 200-300 at a time, Rifle Ammo seldom more than 40 in a whole evening.

It is important to me that rifle ammo be very precise, so I do the case-preparation steps in batches of 50 to 100, and usually on the following day I will load them, but in smaller batches, since I find that precission requires more time.

for powder metering I use Lee-Autodisks for hadguns, and for rifle I first drop a load that is about 0.3 of a grain below what I need from a Hornady powder-measure, and then use a Dillon Electronic scale with a powder-trickler to brig it to precisely the required weight.

As soon as I have the right ammount, I pour it into a case and immediately sit a bullet in it.

Regards,

Danny
Old June 6, 2009, 06:26 AM   #40
N.H. Yankee

I have had a RCBS Rock Chucker for 30+ years and have reloaded thousands of rifle and pistol rounds. The only thing I did was weld an extension to the arm for better leverage for magnum rifle cases. I have considered a progressive, but I like to see whats happening with each round. I have never had a squib or a round that didn't go boom outside of a defective primer. I have also never had a KABOOM due to a overload or double charge.

Iv'e considered a progressive and I see nothing wrong with them, yeah a single stage is tedious, but I'm a Q/C freek when it comes to reloading and since I'm a CHEAP SOB I can't stand to buy another press LOL.
Old June 6, 2009, 09:14 AM   #41
jamaica

Single stage.
I am still using my old Herter's press that I started with many moons ago.