The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 16, 2008, 04:54 PM   #1
Uncle Ben

Ever hunt with a Mosin Nagant?

I'm wondering whether one of these (usually $100) 7.62x54R Mosin Nagants would be a decent choice as a first high-powered rifle for me???

Is it difficult to mount a scope on them? Are they very accurate at 100~200 yards?

If they are "hit and miss" (pardon the pun) and/or not particularly accurate at more than 100 yards, then I think I'd rather hold out longer until I can afford something better.

Thanks!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...sin-Nagant.jpg
Old April 16, 2008, 06:56 PM   #2
taylorce1

Quote:
I'm wondering whether one of these (usually $100) 7.62x54R Mosin Nagants would be a decent choice as a first high-powered rifle for me???

Is it difficult to mount a scope on them? Are they very accurate at 100~200 yards?
IMO the are not good hunting rifles.

Will they work? Yes, the 7.62X54 has plenty of power for most big game in the lower 48.

Can they be accurate? Yes, but that all depends on how good of shape the rifle is in. Look at a lot of them before you decide which one to buy.

Is it difficult to mount a scope on them? No, but the choice of mounts isn't very good. If you want to use a modern style scope without too much gunsmithing, I think B-Sqare makes a no drill mount for scopes. If you use the B-Square mount you will have to use a "Scout Style" scope. Other than that you will have to pay for gunsmith work to get a scope mounted. Drill and tap the reciver for the mounts as well as having to modify the bolt handle to work.

Hunting ammunition isn't the same as military rounds and not always easily found nor is it as cheap when you do find it. If I were to hunt with one I'd think it was possible to hunt deer using the "Irons" at 100-200 yards. There are far better choices for a commercial hunting rifle that are not that more expensive by the time you get them set up to hunt. Look at Stevens 200, Mossberg ATR, Marlin XL7, and H&R/NEF Handi-Rifles. For 3-500 you can pick up a lot of packaged (Rifle & Scope) deals at most gun stores.
Old April 16, 2008, 07:13 PM   #3
tyrajam

I can't comment on Mosins for hunting as I have never done it, these guns were put out by the millions as a bottom of the line tool. If you do find one that shoots straight enough to satisfy you, all I can say is order hunting ammo, Norma makes some good stuff but you'll probably have to order it. But it wouldn't be in my top ten of rifles to hunt with.
Old April 16, 2008, 08:05 PM   #4
shinnery jim

boy!!! some people dont seem to like the Mosin nagant. well I have hunted with one and it is quite good for the job. I have four of them and they all shoot about as good as I can shoot. unless you are a sniper it will shoot better than most of us can shoot them.
if you get the open sights set they are good to 100 yard or better ( if you have the eyes to see that far). and with a scope they can be good for 4 or 500 yards, not that I would shoot at something at that range.
Old April 16, 2008, 11:31 PM   #5
ELMOUSMC

I hunt coyotes with my M/N model 44 I have it set up in the Cooper scout style.It is accurate enough for hunting but for the money you will have in setting it up it just isn't worth the effort or the money.There are many choices out there shop around,Savage Howa,Weatherby,Stevens,Mossberg.IMHO any of them will serve you better Good luck and good shooting ELMOUSMC
Old April 16, 2008, 11:51 PM   #6
angeldeville

1" groups at 100yds....

Old April 17, 2008, 01:24 AM   #7
AmesJainchill

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Hunting ammunition isn't the same as military rounds and not always easily found nor is it as cheap when you do find it.
I don't know a whole lot about hunting, but how much rifle ammunition do you really need to have on hand for hunting? I mean, how many good shots are you going have the opportunity for?

I would think having more than say, 50 rounds would be pretty weird. But I could be wrong.
Old April 17, 2008, 03:11 AM   #8
predator86

wow....you people need to pull that nagant out this year for deer season....or just check this thread here- http://www.militaryfirearm.com/Forum...read.php?t=309

by the way, winchester makes 150 grain soft points that are available at wal-mart, fleet farm and dunhams......not there all the time but they are there....

oh and check out what this guy did to his mosin nagant, supposedly makes shots out to 550 yards, i got a mosin im going to do this too....

http://www.militaryfirearm.com/Forum...ead.php?t=6426
Old April 17, 2008, 03:13 AM   #9
predator86

hey ames, i got 2000 rounds of 7.62x54 and 200 of that is hunting ammo

i got 200 rounds for my 270.....

i got about 200 12 gauge slugs too.......i think not having enough ammo is weird.....
Old April 17, 2008, 07:43 AM   #10
taylorce1

Quote:
I don't know a whole lot about hunting, but how much rifle ammunition do you really need to have on hand for hunting? I mean, how many good shots are you going have the opportunity for?

I would think having more than say, 50 rounds would be pretty weird. But I could be wrong.
Well I reload so all my ammunition is hunting ammunition. I'll go through about 50 rounds in load development for one type of bullet, if I get lucky a little less. Before hunting season I'll probably go through another 50-100 rounds in practice just to make sure I'm totally comfortable with the rifle. I only target practice with what I'm using to hunt, I don't want a POI change by switching between bullets. When I go hunting I take 20 rounds if local 50 if I travel. If my scope or sights get knocked off for some reason I want enough rounds to re-zero my rifle. I keep no less than 50 rounds per rifle on hand but it is usually around 150-200 per rifle.

7.62X54 isn't popular around here for hunting, so the only stuff I see you pretty much have to order. One store does carry Hornady ammuntition in it and if IIRC it is around $36 plus tax a box of 20. Regular military rounds run about $5 per 20 rounds.
Old April 17, 2008, 10:11 AM   #11
Uncle Ben

AngelDeville: you'll have to enlighten me as to what make/model/caliber that is.

Thanks for the suggestions and input. It seems that it would be best for me to start out with something brand new that can be counted on, especially since I will be learning distance shooting on it. Otherwise, when I'm off...I wouldn't know if it was me or a bad copy of a Mosin.
I also looked up some of the suggestions above, and you're right, they are more of course, but still very reasonable for what you are getting.

Thanks again!
Old April 17, 2008, 12:33 PM   #12
UniversalFrost

well hunting with an MN can be done, but like the others said accuracy is hit and miss (literally) after 100 yds.

A buddy of mine got a 91/30 that was in good shape and put on an ATI synthetic stock and a scout scope and mount and ended up spending a little over 250 combined for everything and the thing has take several deer, but is not the slickest gun you could get for $250.

Personally, if I could only afford a 250 or less gun, I would go with a stevens or mossberg bolt gun in 270, 308 or 06' . All can be had brand new for at or under $250 and will have much better handling and accuracy than an old "sporterized" mn.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old April 17, 2008, 08:38 PM   #13
AmesJainchill

Quote:
When I go hunting I take 20 rounds if local 50 if I travel. If my scope or sights get knocked off for some reason I want enough rounds to re-zero my rifle. I keep no less than 50 rounds per rifle on hand but it is usually around 150-200 per rifle.
Ah, I see now.
Old April 18, 2008, 01:12 AM   #14
Luciano

If legal, use the military FMJ bullets. They will cleanly harvest deer.
Old April 18, 2008, 07:24 AM   #15
taylorce1

Uncle Ben,

Here is one more consideration for not using the Mosin for hunting. I noticed you live in So Cal, if you hunt in California they have a ban on bullets using lead. So you will have to hand load or buy custom ammunition to get all copper bullets like the Barnes TSX or Nosler E-Tip. This is where a more common hunting caliber will benefit you as well.

A lot of your questions could probably be answered if you go take a hunters education class as well about what is needed to hunt in CA. I know you have decided to go with something other than the Mosin, this is just another reason in case you get tempted again. If you want to get one to plink and practice shooting with go ahead get one and have fun.

Quote:
I wouldn't say cleanly, yes they will kill a deer. An expanding bullet does the job much better than a FMJ. I would only use a FMJ round to hunt deer as a last resort.
Old April 18, 2008, 08:02 AM   #16
tyrajam

Quote:
:barf::barf::barf:

This is the problem with posting questions online, you get a lot of good answers but sometimes people post things they know nothing about. NEVER USE FMJ AMMO ON BIG GAME!! It will zip through doing the minimum amount of damage but creating a deadly wound. If you want to punch a small hole through a deer and let him run 2 miles, bed down and die, then use FMJ amo. If you want to be a responsible hunter and make a clean kill, use an expanding bullet.
Old April 18, 2008, 05:51 PM   #17
schnarrgj

The Mosin is a fine deer rifle. Personally I have taken around 10 with one. If you do your part, it will do its part. It is in the same class as the 30-06 so is more than adaquate. I have not had any problems finding hunting ammo. The safety is hard to work until you practice with it and get it down.
Old April 18, 2008, 06:16 PM   #18
davlandrum

Quote:
100% illegal in Oregon. Specifically stated in the regs. Rightfully so, in my opinion.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old April 18, 2008, 06:28 PM   #19
jbrown

not to hijack,but.....

for a little more money($200) you could find a nice sks for hunting.
Old April 18, 2008, 06:38 PM   #20
tomh1426

If you dont have alot of $ why not look at NEF Handi rifle.
You can get them in alot of different calibers
Old April 18, 2008, 06:56 PM   #21
Boris Bush

tomh1426, jbrown

OR, someone could buy what they prefer. I have two Mosins that were made 1n 1892 and 1897. Both still shoot under one inch with Yugo ammo. I never killed a deer with mine, but not for a lack of trying though.

I was looking at a NEF 45-70 yesterday and the price is right and I know for a fact they shoot way better than they look. Dang it! I need to go read my own advice, or maybe get both like I am thinking of doing. You can get both for less than $300.00. Ok I need to stop thinking about this now.....................
Old April 19, 2008, 07:26 PM   #22
Fat White Boy

The main worry I'd have using a Mosin to hunt is the 3 feet of flame that comes out of the barrel. Lots of dry brush around to torch...
Old April 19, 2008, 07:40 PM   #23
tomh1426

Also a heavy gun to lug around
Old April 20, 2008, 12:07 AM   #24
american lockpicker

I killed my first deer with a Moisin Nagant 91/30 "43r". I highly recommend the rifle. Also I used Albainian military ammo with a steel core and open sights. All it took was one shot at 45-50 meters.
Old April 20, 2008, 05:30 PM   #25
22-rimfire

My suggestion is to buy a Remington Model 700 in 270. 308 or 30-06 and be done with it. But if you just have to use a Mosin, it will kill a deer but don't use full metal jacket military ammution. Besides being typically illegal, the FMJ choice lacks respect for your quarry and you probably won't get many at-a-boys from many other hunters.