The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 24, 2007, 07:15 PM   #1
Kato_Guy

reloading bench?

ok everyone I have been posting on here for a while asking questions about getting started in reloading. I was originally going to wait til I buy a house to start but I really want to start reloading now.

Has anyone started out in the same situation as I am in??

Does anyone have any ideas on how I should build a small bench for reloading (something I can put away when I am done for the day). I kinda have an idea of a 3x2 surface bench but I dont know if It would be sturdy enough.

Or should I wait until I have the space??

Thanks

Long Live the WSM!!!
Old January 24, 2007, 07:34 PM   #2
skeeter1

Yep, lots of us

Quote:
Has anyone started out in the same situation as I am in??
I started with an old kitchen table that I still have in the basement. The price was right (free), but I've switched to a Lee hand press so I can do my reloading at the kitchen counter. Not the quickest thing in the world, but it works, and I can have the TV on in the background. Too many spiders in the basement for me.
Old January 24, 2007, 07:41 PM   #3
Edward429451

I started out with my press mounted to an apt size kit table that would juust fit into a doublewide closet to be stowed. Pull it out occassionally to load and put it back when done.

It was kinda wobbly but I was only loading for 45acp & 44 spec/mag at the time so it worked ok for me.
Old January 24, 2007, 07:42 PM   #4
hodaka

I started out with a wooden box with a Challenger press bolted to one end. I kept the dies, power, etc. in the box in the closet. I would pull it out to the living room floor, watch TV and reload. When I was done, everything went back into the box, then into the closet. I would not work for me now because I have too much stuff, but I worked fine at the time.

A couple of years ago I bought a portable bench (more of a 2x2 ft. table) from Midway (I think). I pull it out when I want to reload in the air conditioning. My reloading room is not air conditioned.

Last edited by hodaka; January 24, 2007 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old January 24, 2007, 08:07 PM   #5
viper1216

I'm pretty sure that Midway has a portable reloading bench for those with space issues. I think it was like 60 bucks or something. I originally was going to get it, but my wife actually said I could have a corner of the computer room. Yeaaah Wife!!! So I built a frame out of 2x4's added some double 2x4 legs and put a 3/4 inch ply top on it. Works great. Cheap Cheap.
Old January 24, 2007, 09:08 PM   #6
BigJakeJ1s

Rockler.com has a router table kit with heavy duty steel legs, you add the top and shelves. I think I paid $79 for it at their local store. Very well built, but a little smaller than you were thinking (18x24 in frame). I made the top 20x27, and have two shelves underneath. They also have a set of all-lock swivel casters for $29 (they lock both the swivel and the rolling motion, and are rated at 150 lbs ea). Large enough to hold my press, tools, and a supply of components. I roll it out of the laundry room when I need to reload, then roll it back when I'm finished. Rockler has a selection of different rails/stiles so you could make it wider or longer or both if you wanted. With all the gear I keep on the shelves, it doesn't move at all when I work the press.

Andy
Old January 25, 2007, 08:30 AM   #7
Daniel964

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that Midway has a portable reloading bench for those with space issues. I think it was like 60 bucks or something

I just bought that bench along with the rest of the stuff I need to start reloading. It was delivered yesterday to my apartment complex office. I'll pick it up later this morning. I can't wait to get started reloading. I'm also looking for a source of free or low cost wheel weights so I can start casting my own.
Old January 25, 2007, 08:36 AM   #8
sanson

most autoshops around here have recycling services that pick up old batteries and wheel weights...damn
Old January 25, 2007, 09:30 AM   #9
Kato_Guy

I tried looking for that reloading bench on midway and couldn't find prolly didn't look hard enough but what exactally was it called??

thanks
Old January 25, 2007, 09:40 AM   #10
BwanaDave

I started loading 45/70 with a Lyman 310 tong tool. It was slow but worked fine.

In regards to mounting a press you can get a piece of 2" X 12" and bolt the press to it with the bolts countersunk on the bottom. Then you can C clamp it to many surfaces and put it away when not in use.

Another trick is to buy two of those cheapo folding saw horses from Home Depot and a piece of 3/4" particle board. Have Home Depo cut the particle board into two pieces roughly 4' X 4'. Glue these together by laying them flat and smearing a bunch of white glue on one surface and putting the other piece on top. Be aware that the particle board started out as 4' X 8' so when the store cut it you lost around 1/8" on one side so you want to allign the sides properly. Once alligned pile weight on top such as tools, spare tire etc. In using the above I would still use the 2" X 12" method since particle board isn't the strongest material.

Dave
Old January 25, 2007, 09:55 AM   #11
LAH

If you want to load bad enough, you can. It doesn't take much to get by.

Creeker
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pettus Bench Kitchen 001.jpg (32.5 KB, 353 views)
Old January 25, 2007, 12:32 PM   #12
Zippy06

I mounted, my Lee turret, to a piece of wood in 1986. Then, c-clamped it to the breakfast bar. The wood broke a few weeks ago. Now the press is mounted to 1/2" Aluminum plate. And mounted to an old computer desk.
This is working out great.
Cabela's and Midwayusa have a kit. You add the 2x4's. Search for reloading bench.
G17, S&W 686, G22C, Colt H-Bar, Marlin, Savage 10FP. Be safe. Be happy
Old January 25, 2007, 01:50 PM   #13
Anon

Zippy's answer is a great one for the space-confined.

Bolt your equipment to a piece of wood, and C-clamp the wood to your working surface when you want to reload.

When you get a house, if you don't have enough room for your dream-bench, do this:

Build a bech that you can use for multiple purposes (repair, woodworking, reloading, whatever)

Build a strong flat-topped bench, and mount a woodworking vise to it:

Then, for all the other things you want to do with your bench, use the wood vise as the basis for other things. Bolt a shop vise to some wood, and hold the whole deal in place with the wood vise:

Do the same thing with your reloading press(es).

You can also clamp handheld tools, such as a belt sander (upside down) and use this setup as a table sander. A foot pedal operated switch, can be set up for turning the power on/off.

Very versatile, if you're hard up for space.
Old January 25, 2007, 02:10 PM   #14
Zippy06

Anon. Nice.
G17, S&W 686, G22C, Colt H-Bar, Marlin, Savage 10FP. Be safe. Be happy
Old January 25, 2007, 02:24 PM   #15
viper1216

Kato...

The bench is made by Franford Arsenol. Part number for Midway is 155024

Viper
Old January 26, 2007, 12:17 AM   #16
HiltonFarmer

Vise setup looks great Anon

Having just bought my first press ever - Lee Classic - I supported an area in the spare room closet - 24" x 24". Enough room to operate the press comfortably and sturdy like a rock!

Hiltonfarmer