The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 28, 2000, 05:17 PM   #1
EricO

I just purchased a pair of ProEar Linear Elite sporting clay models with the "chop-side." I'll be using this for training, IDPA and 3-gun type matches, with every through handgun, .223 or larger rifle, and shotgun rounds.
I only got a single chance to use them so far and am slightly puzzled. The noise reduction of the unit is stated to be around 21 or 24 I believe, lower than some plain muffs are. I realize the noise reduction takes over on sounds that are loud enough to damage, and reduces them to a safe level, but it almost seemed that they weren't doing anything. I tried to remind myself to remember what the sensation was like when it was my turn to shoot, but couldn't remember. I don't remember it being really loud, but could remember definitely hearing the shots.
Are there any tests people do to check the performance of their ProEars? I'm sure this is probably me just trying to get used to them - they are different!
EricO
Old October 29, 2000, 06:47 PM   #2
WalterGAII

The new, ProEars Dimension 1 hearing protectors clamp noise at 70db. The older series that you have clamp noise at 85db. Both provide about the same decibel reduction; they just start reducing at different levels.

You're supposed to be able to hear your shots; they're just not supposed to damage your ears.
Old October 31, 2000, 07:35 AM   #3
PKN

Same thing happened to me, till I realized the shots didn't hurt, like they normally do without muffs. The only complaint I have about mine(Pro Mag LE) so far is they're heavy, but the price couldn't be beat(free).