The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 18, 2013, 04:33 PM   #1
Delbert

Plated bullets

I am just starting out in reloading. I have read the Lyman manual several times and am just waiting on my press to arrive. Loading for my .40 cal xdm, all i could find at the time was rainier 180 grain plated hollow points. They say to use lead data for their plated bullets but have not found any load recipes for lead hollow points and am looking for some advice on a good starting point for target loads with mixed brass federal 100 primers and winchester wst which i had from loading shot shells.
Old April 18, 2013, 07:30 PM   #2
Sure shot wv

99% of the bullets I load for in 9mm and .40 are rainiers. I absolutely love them. Some people aren't fans because of weight variance but I have not had a problem. I occasionally get one that isn't sized correct and will not fit my chamber. But that has happened maybe 4 times in the last 10k or so I've loaded so it doesn't bother me for the price I pay. I can't speak for wst because I don't use it but you should like the bullets. I've loaded lots of 40s to slightly higher velocity and never had a problem. And that's pushing to the 1100-1200fps mark. If I'm looking for a new load I use jacketed data but usually start 1 grain below min (with autocomp atleast ), and work up from there. The majority of my loads are soft target loads but I have a few good batches of stiff rounds that match some defense ammo. I shoot a lot from my xd and xdm and I've found I really like the 165g fp as well. Hope some of this helps!
Old April 18, 2013, 07:40 PM   #3
Misssissippi Dave

Remember with anything posted on the internet not coming from a manufacture's site should be checked. It is just too easy for people to make mistakes.

You might also want to contact Rainier to see if they have any information to help you.

If you are determined to try this powder without confirmed data then try starting at 4.0 grains of WST and you probably will find 4.4 is about right. I would not try going beyond 4.6 since the groups will be spreading out. This is a soft shooting load but you can't push it too hard since it is a very fast powder. You will find it burns pretty clean.

Last edited by Misssissippi Dave; April 18, 2013 at 07:56 PM.
Old April 18, 2013, 08:01 PM   #4
GP100man

The plated bullets I have exp. with were kept to 1k any faster & plateing gave up .
Old April 19, 2013, 01:59 PM   #5
Delbert

Re: Plated bullets

Thanks guys that's what i was thinking start below minimum starting load data for similar jacketed bullets and work my way up a good working load.
Old April 19, 2013, 03:17 PM   #6
NYPD13

I load plated bullets like they're lead and clean like they're jacketed. That's the only advantage I see with plated bullets, less time spent scrubbing lead out of the bore.