The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 19, 2015, 01:34 AM   #1
Fivesense

My new Tavor

I picked up an IWI Tavor SAR in .223/5.56 today. It is as fun to shoot as it is cool looking. And more importantly, I think it will be a great home defense piece. I've got a Meprolight self-powered day/night reflex sight mounted. I put about 100 rounds through this tack driver today, and will continue to break it in this week.

I tried to upload a pic but my file size was too big. Not sure how to downsize...
Old November 19, 2015, 02:58 AM   #2
Tony C

Congrats! Everything I have seen and read says these are great rifles and a hoot to shoot.
Old November 19, 2015, 06:57 AM   #3
Dirty_Harry

Welcome to the club! I love my tavor, have owned it for around 8 months now. Never a hiccup, very reliable and accurate enough. If it had anywhere near the parts availability of the AR15, I would ditch the AR15 all together.

I am really hoping they make one in .308. I am thinking about picking up a 300 blackout conversion kit as soon as they come out. Call me crazy, but I would really like to hunt with this rifle but I feel our deer are slightly too large for 5.56/223.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old November 19, 2015, 05:52 PM   #4
peggysue

congrats
Old November 20, 2015, 04:34 AM   #5
DoctorDeath

Lucky! I wish I could afford a Tavor. Congrats!

The best way to downsize a picture is to right click it, open in paint, and then you should see resize on the top. 50%, and sometimes even 25% is usually good.
Old November 20, 2015, 05:05 PM   #6
bfoosh006

FYI... I have seen Geissle's Tavor triggers on sale at numerous places.

The Tavor trigger I shot was awful.... Looooooong pull and gritty.

Otherwise great rifle !
Old November 20, 2015, 09:17 PM   #7
9x19

Congrats.

A new rifle is always a good thing.
Old November 20, 2015, 09:33 PM   #8
ronl

Got to play with one last weekend. Well made and solid feeling. Pretty accurate. The trigger was pretty bad.
Old November 20, 2015, 09:46 PM   #9
CodeSection

Congrats 5 sense!
Old November 20, 2015, 10:12 PM   #10
Fivesense

Thank you All.

I shot with a Geissele trigger pack today in my Tavor today. Wow- what a difference. I don't hate the stock trigger but the Geissele feels like a sports car in comparison. It's not so light as to feel jumpy either- just really smooth with very little creep or take up.

Interestingly, I didn't buy the Geissele (yet). I want to put more rounds through the Tavor with the stock trigger to see if it grows on me. I've seen mods whereby you can remove the spring from the stock trigger and get about an 8lb pull. Has anyone done this, and if so, what has your experience been regarding reliability?
Old November 20, 2015, 10:16 PM   #11
ttarp

My brother removed the extra spring like you're read about, its a simple job and it significantly improved the trigger at no cost to reliability.
Old November 20, 2015, 10:20 PM   #12
Fivesense

Interestingly, the Geissele Super Sabra trigger pack does not have the spring we're talking about. It does look like an easy removal process; I may try it and see how it goes. I'm really hesitant to augment anything stock (replacing with aftermarket doesn't bother me) but I wouldn't mind saving the money on a new trigger pack with a simple spring removal.
Old November 21, 2015, 01:45 PM   #13
CodeSection

Finally figured out how to reduce picture size...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (32.5 KB, 61 views)
Old November 22, 2015, 04:52 PM   #14
Dirty_Harry

Nice looking setup

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old November 22, 2015, 08:35 PM   #15
CodeSection

Thanks DH!
Old November 23, 2015, 01:47 AM   #16
Glockstar .40

Congrats! Love my tavor as well...about 1500 rounds through it and it's run flawlessly
Old November 23, 2015, 02:56 PM   #17
Fishbed77

Congrats. Of all the non-AR 5.56mm semi-autos, the Tavor is at the top of my wish list.
Old November 23, 2015, 05:48 PM   #18
Fivesense

Quote:
My brother removed the extra spring like you're read about, its a simple job and it significantly improved the trigger at no cost to reliability.
Thanks TTarp.
Old November 23, 2015, 06:04 PM   #19
Fivesense

I hope to do a little shooting with it this week. Do you think the Tavor is too much for turkey hunting?

Last edited by Fivesense; November 25, 2015 at 07:55 PM.
Old November 25, 2015, 07:42 PM   #20
Bart Noir

Code, I see you got the version with the water-cooled barrel

Actually, what barrel setup is that? Suppressor? If so, why didn't you let us all know?! Folks who get those are not shy of saying so. Latest toy and all that

A few days back I saw two on the wall at a LGS. One had an 18-inch barrel and one had a 16-inch barrel. I do not know if there is any real advantage to having the extra 2 inches, except maybe for getting the muzzle blast out a little farther from your face.

Bart Noir
Old November 26, 2015, 08:26 PM   #21
CodeSection

Bart Noir, it does look strange, doesn't it? It is a silencer from Operators Suppressor Systems (OSS). I ended up participating in the Bullpup Forum group buy about a year ago.

A year ago, Theohazard, went to great lengths to narrow suggestions that would be appropriate for a Tavor. One of the main suggestions was to try to buy something that reduced blowback.. At one time, the 5.56 SOCOM RC and Saker 7.62 were an option. Had decided on the Saker 7.62.

Then, one night reading, I stumbled onto the Bullpup Forum and read about the OSS. The advantages of the OSS is that the design supposedly:
- reduces blowback by over 75%
- bolt speed increase is reduced significantly; only 3-5% increase as compared with 20-40% increase with other silencers.

There were other differences...too many to post without sounding like a sponsor. I am pleased with the OSS, but to be fair, I really do not have anything to compare it to....

I bought the SAR Flattop B16 which has a 16.5" barrel. I'm not sure what a 1.5" difference would make.
Old November 26, 2015, 08:45 PM   #22
Fivesense

Quote:
Then, one night reading, I stumbled onto the Bullpup Forum and read about the OSS. The advantages of the OSS is that the design supposedly:
- reduces blowback by over 75%
- bolt speed increase is reduced significantly; only 3-5% increase as compared with 20-40% increase with other silencers.
Code- I recently found the same thread on the Bullpup Forum to which you refer, although I was about a year late for the original buy. I'm still considering the OSS system. Am I correct that you really like it and that it works well?
Old November 26, 2015, 09:43 PM   #23
CodeSection

5Sense, I like what I have, however, I have nothing to compare it to. I ended up with the 5.56 with the SRM6. I'm not sure if they offer that now....I thought they only now offer the SRM4 with the 5.56.

There are customer service issues with the company from the Group Buy program. Apparently, ALL people who bought the 7.62 were shipped 5.56. After nine months, it still hasn't been resolved and those people still have not received their product that they purchased and paid extra for. Can you imagine how frustrated they must be? I believe at least one person is filing a complaint against the company with Utah's Attorney General Consumer's Division. Even the distributor that handled it for the Group Buy in is shocked with the company's lack of response to those individuals. There is a long thread on the Bullpup Forum in the Group Buy private section that discloses dates, conversations, and repeated attempts to rectify the problem.

There are more details. For me in dealing with any company, while a particular product may be good, the company's integrity and customer service is far more important to me.

Based upon difficulties others in the Group Buy program are experiencing, I would use caution in dealing with the company or any of their dealers.

You might find this thread helpful.....
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=554613

Last edited by CodeSection; November 26, 2015 at 09:56 PM.
Old November 26, 2015, 10:19 PM   #24
Fivesense

Code- great information to know; too bad it's not good.

Thank you for sharing however, as it will help me proceed with caution.