The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 24, 2015, 03:18 PM   #1
rjinga

Range Report - Century Arms C308

I went back out at my friend's range last Saturday. I started by trying to find the sweet spot on the 100m open-top rear sight. I was shooting at a 1" black dot at 25m off of a table rest. After the first shot, my friend (the combat vet Marine) who was spotting said "Go home." Translation - I hit black.

I'd been saving empty gallon milk jugs, so we did a ballistic's test with full metal jacket vs. soft-point bullets: https://youtu.be/SpmLv4rium8

I ended the day by finishing off a 20 round mag at a silhouette target at 100 yds (100m open-top rear sight). It was dusk, and I was standing and shooting off-hand. I didn't go "Rambo", but I did try to shoot, reacquire, and shoot again as quickly as possible. I don't know how many rounds I fired, so it's possible I totally missed the paper, but I don't think so. I was pleased with my "combat effectiveness", and my friend said I did a lot better than he expected, given the distance, lighting, and rate of fire.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-11-22 16.49.38.jpg (158.4 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-11-22 16.49.44.jpg (192.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Target.jpg (142.6 KB, 28 views)

Sig Sauer P229 SAS GEN 2 E2 9mm; PTR 91, GI model; Chinese Type 56 SKS; Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm
Old November 24, 2015, 06:07 PM   #2
DaleA

I've often thought that just a simple, fun range day like you described would turn a huge percentage of anti-gun folk into pro gun or at least neutral gun folk.

Good luck.