The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 10, 2011, 09:24 AM   #26
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Quote:
If you can make anything easy to detach, do it.
YES!!! 6 of my 8 presses are detachable. You may actually need that bench for something else besides reloading. Yes, there are other things in life besides reloading (at least that is what my girlfriend tells me... ).

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old February 10, 2011, 09:48 AM   #27
Zildjian

Press

I have 2 Dillon 550 B's on my 5/16 " thick steel plate. The plate is only 20" L
x 12" wide. Also on that same plate are an RCBS automatic priming system
and and RCBS sizing press. All bolt on along with an Lyman trimmer. Its small
yes, but strong enough to do its intended job with no problems. I just spin it around to the front to use whichever Dillon I have set-up for.
Old February 10, 2011, 10:09 AM   #28
lee n. field

Quote:
My first press is a Forster Co-Ax, the second press will be a Lee Classic Turret, in case you're curious. Will probably keep the Co-Ax as a backup and as an "if-I-get-into-rifle" press. I like it a lot.
I have,
  1. An RCBS Rock Chuck II, that I picked up used and cheap
  2. A Lee Hand Press
  3. A Lee Pro 1000

And a Lyman Acculine. It's retired. "Crap" is too strong a word to describe it, but I've got better.

Quote:
One bias: I don't like the plywood/clamp approach. I like my press to be mounted directly to the bench.
The RCBS is bolted down. The Lee Pro is bolted down to a board that gets clamped to a portable work table. The Hand Press isn't, or course.

I'm seriously contemplating Lee's new mounting plate system.

Quote:
My first press is a Forster Co-Ax
You went all out, didn't you?
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; February 10, 2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old February 10, 2011, 10:55 AM   #29
Ike666

I have three presses, one mounted permanently to the bench (Dillon 550B). The other two, a Rock Chucker and a Co-Ax, are mounted to a 2x8x24 piece of salt-treated lumber. I clamp these to the bench as I need them with 6-inch C-clamps. The Co-Ax actually stays clamped to the bench, made from two solid core doors, out of the way when I'm not using it. The Rock Chucker stays on the shelf until needed.

But, no matter what, you can never have enough bench space - the amount of stuff grows exponentially with an increase in bench space.
Old February 10, 2011, 11:26 AM   #30
Kevin Rohrer

Eight Presses For Me

A five foot bench should allow you to have three presses on it at one time, provided you have both ends available.

Mine is 11.5' long, and it is FULL.

Left half:

Right half:

Entire bench:

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer

Last edited by Kevin Rohrer; February 11, 2011 at 08:17 AM.
Old February 10, 2011, 12:06 PM   #31
Rifleman1776

Bench? No bench. I have an old, but a goodie, Lyman turret press mounted on a grinder stand. Small shelf to the side for shell plates, etc.
Old February 10, 2011, 01:18 PM   #32
BombthePeasants

I have 2 presses: one RCBS something-or-other single stage, and a Lee Classic Turret, on a 4' wide workdesk thingie. I use the RCBS as a dedicated decapping station, I decap all brass as soon as I get home, then toss it in the tumbler. I also use it to resize .30-06 brass (after the 1st tumbling session), then I wipe off that brass and tumble a 2nd time.

I use the Lee Classic Turret for all my .45ACP loading. God bless Lee Precision!
Old February 10, 2011, 03:14 PM   #33
Shootest

I have 4 presses all bolted on a 8 foot long 11/2 inch thick bench. First a RCBS Ammo master for large rifle (including 50BMG), Second a RCBS Partner for working up handgun loads and small/odd jobs, Third a Dillon XL650 for large quantities of handgun and 223 ammo, and last a MEC 600jr for 12ga shotgun. I replace the MEC with casting equipment when casting and the Partner with trimmer when trimming brass. I don’t like spending to much time getting presses ready to start loading, seams to me I should be loading not getting ready.
Old February 10, 2011, 04:12 PM   #34
Dr. Strangelove

One Lyman Orange Crusher mounted on my regular bench, and one Lee Reloder mounted on an old computer cart with wheels so I can do the mindless stuff in front of the TV or computer.
Old February 10, 2011, 09:49 PM   #35
M.O.A.

one 410g three 20g and three 12g and a sizer and a rifle hand press in a ammo box under the bench
Old February 10, 2011, 11:02 PM   #36
Steviewonder1

I have a set of Twin Dillon SDB's and a Single Stage Press with a G-RX die in it to resize 40S&W brass. All is good in the Terrace Level of the house. I shoot a lot of 40 S&W in my two guns, a Springfield Armory 16-40 and a Glock G-35. I have lots more other guns in 9MM, .357Magnum and .45ACP. All which get reloaded when the supply runs low in their ammo.
Old February 11, 2011, 03:45 PM   #37
TChase

One RCBS RockChucker
Old February 11, 2011, 04:46 PM   #38
RANGER94

I just ordered this, which may save you some space:

http://www.patmarlins.com/
Old February 11, 2011, 07:20 PM   #39
dlb435

Hey, Ranger94, that looks great. Can you post a new thread when you get it and give a short review?
Old February 11, 2011, 07:24 PM   #40
RANGER94

It gets great reviews on other forums. When I get it set up I will let you know.
Old February 11, 2011, 10:40 PM   #41
RoGrrr

I bought a solid door at a garage sale and mount my equipment on it. Solid and when I "over-drill" it, I can pick up another door....

I absolutely HATE garage sales. They're addictive.

BTW, I have a 650, SPAR-T and couple RockChuckers, 3 powder measures, sizer-luber and plenty of room for other sh8
Old February 13, 2011, 02:45 PM   #42
LittleHouse

Thanks for all the replies

OP here. Wow, didn't realize this thread was still going. (I was relying on the email alert but forgot it stops alerting when you don't sign in.) Very cool thread, nice photos, with some good ideas to mull over.

Quick update: I've got my Classic Turret next to the Co-Ax for now with about a foot between.

Don't know how well that will work - haven't tried it yet - but first things first. I discovered my bench height is too low (about 36") for me to operate the Classic Turret comfortably without bending over a bit on the downstroke. Raise the bench (PITA) or make a riser of some sort? That's a separate thread though.

Thanks again.
Old February 13, 2011, 02:54 PM   #43
Jim243

IllinoisCoyoteHunter.

Your girlfriend is wrong!! (LOL)

Just two.
Jim

Old February 13, 2011, 05:02 PM   #44
45Badger

I use an old dresser as a bench. It's about 5' wide and 24" deep. I screwed a 5/4" x 12" piece of wood to the top of it. I've got 2 Dillon 550s and a RockChucker set up on it. All the drawers are great for storing primers, bullets, holsters, and other junk.
Old February 14, 2011, 01:49 AM   #45
LittleHouse

Another update, and question for Jim

To address my Classic Turret bench height issue (I load standing) I built a riser from scrap wood. Much better ergonomics, and solid too. I wouldn't have slept well tonight if I didn't get that sorted out.

The riser's base is screwed to the bench now because I didn't have extra bolts on hand - but when I replace the screws with bolts the whole rig can be removed from the bench in a minute or two when the space is needed. I hope to have a photo soon.

Jim: Nice setup! Mind if I ask particulars on what bins those are, and how you mounted them to the bench edge? I assume they're "quick release"? I'm looking for a similar arrangement.

I don't know about anyone else, but one of my favorite parts of this hobby is setting up a personalized workspace (and constantly tweaking it), and learning how others have done so.
Old February 14, 2011, 06:30 AM   #46
Whisper 300

+1 on Rangers use of PatMarlins setup.
I keep 3 presses on the bench but have 5 slots to shift out other presses-ie, shotshell press or one of a couple of different powder drops.

The system is simple and elegant.

Gary
Old February 14, 2011, 08:15 AM   #47
WESHOOT2

two benches

One is my stand-up development bench; I have mounted a Co-Ax, a LEE Reloader, and a Lyman Crusher II.

On my sit-down production bench I have a Dillon XL650.
Old February 14, 2011, 11:35 AM   #48
Jbar4Ranch

Three benches with -

4 Lee Load Alls (1 20GA, 3 12 GA)
3 Lyman 450 lubrisizers
2 Dillon 550's
1 MEC (.410)
1 Lee Reloader Press
1 RCBS Rock Chucker
1 RCBS Ammomaster for .50 BMG and .45-120.

SASS 47015
Old February 14, 2011, 11:49 AM   #49
stu925

I currently have 3 presses mounted on my bench, I have an RCBS Rockchucker, an old Lyman All American Turret, and a Ponsness/Warren 800 Convertible 12ga progressive. I also have another rockchucker on standby but not mounted. All this on a 5' long bench. It's a bit cluttered, but come spring I'll give it a thorough mucking out and I should be good to go, who knows maybe I'll sell some of my extra reloading stuff off while I'm at it.

Stu
Old February 14, 2011, 05:31 PM   #50
Ike666

Quote:
who knows maybe I'll sell some of my extra reloading stuff off while I'm at it.
What's that? "Extra" stuff? No way man.