The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 17, 2011, 04:39 PM   #1
sixxgunnernick

9mm reloads

At 124 grain fmj roundnose is hornady better than berrys? I don't know if theres much difference . Does anyone really know?
Old August 17, 2011, 04:58 PM   #2
TATER

Best for what,
One is plated the other is jacketed, and should be treated differently.
Do not load plated bullets full-tilt. Plated bullets should be crimped very lightly.
HTH
Old August 17, 2011, 05:42 PM   #3
BigJimP

Berry's are pretty good bullets ..but they're still plated.

A true jacketed bullet - is typically more consistent ...bullet to bullet ...( if you grab a handful and weigh them individually ) but they're more expensive to manufacture ---so typically they're a little more expesnive.

In the plated bullet market --- I think Berry's are some of the best ...and I've shot a lot of them ( but you can't push them over 1200 fps - and their website says don't do it ... )

from Berry's website on Frequently asked questions ...and on velocity ...
" .... Velocities depend on the caliber, but as a rule of thumb, we recommend you don't shoot our plated bullets over 1200 feet-per-second. Our 44's actually shoot best around 1150 fps. 45's are generally good at 850-900 fps. Our bullets are not recommended for magnum velocities ....".

...and I do find in my guns that true jacketed bullets --- Montana Gold or whatever brand you like ...are a little more accurate.

99% of the time, most of us reload for practice and range time ...and since the cost of the bullet is most of the cost in your ammo - we go with whatever we find is the most reasonably priced. I like Berry's bullets ...but I like Montana Gold better ...and buying Montana Gold in case lots ...makes them very competitive in most calibers ...so I tend to stay with them.

I consider Hornady a premium jacketed bullet ...but I don't use many of them.../ I stay with what's worked for me in the past - and that's Montana Gold .
Old August 17, 2011, 06:28 PM   #4
sixxgunnernick

I'm used to berrys and I've used some xtps and those are more accurate for me..more expensive also. I seen some hornady 124 grain full metal jacket in a 500 count box and got them. I thought being roundnose, they were like berrys..sorry for being a dumbass but you gotta learn sometime. Just for paper targets, I really suck and was hoping going from 115grain berrys to a 124 grain hornady fmj roundnose would help me out a little.
Old August 17, 2011, 06:40 PM   #5
BigJimP

Hey, we all learn something new every day ...and the list of what I don't know is a never ending pile ...

Here's a link to Montana gold ...just as another option...

https://secure.mooseweb.com/montanag.../pricelist.tpl

they pay the shipping ....and a case of 9mm is between 3,750 and 4,000 depending on what you want ( 124, 121 or 115 gr ) ....the CMJ vs FMJ means they're jacketed on the bottom as well ..so the CMJ smokes a little less indoors.../ but the FMJ are good too.

Part of the trick in keeping your costs down is to buy in case lots ...when you can ...and in terms of cost per 1,000 Berry's and Montana Gold are pretty close ...but it also comes down to what you like the best out of your guns.
Old August 17, 2011, 08:50 PM   #6
sixxgunnernick

Practice with what you carry..but when I struggle with not as accurate bullets then shoot some accurate bullets it makes it that much more rewarding. If I shoot bullseyes every time it would get boring to me. Always working to improve, trying different bullets and loads. I have some researching to do.
Old August 17, 2011, 09:54 PM   #7
Jim243

Yes Hornady, but I use 124 grain JHP from Remington.

Jim
Old August 18, 2011, 08:07 AM   #8
bossman

I think Hornady's would be better for self defense or for hunting. Since 95% of my reloading is for fun and practice I like Berry's plated bullets.

The cost of plated bullets is creeping ever closer to the FMJ prices so that could change. I like lead for the outdoors,more smoke, plated for indoors,less smoke.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.