The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 15, 2005, 08:25 PM   #1
Guardian29

A-Bolt Bolt Replacement Problem

I have a Browning A-Bolt .30-06 and can not get the bolt to slide back into the receiver. It will go about 3/4 of the way in but gets caught on the back end of the bolt. The casing over the Cocking Indicator is rotated to the left so that it keeps the bolt from sliding completely in. Does anyone know how to release the lock on the Cocking Indicator so that I can rotate it back to the right?

Thanks
Jason
Old November 16, 2005, 12:54 AM   #2
cntryboy1289

maybe

Sounds like the shroud rotated on you. On some guns it can be simply held in the hand and rotated back correctly. I haven't held a A Bolt in a while and am not sure about the one on it. I know on my Winchester model 70, you have to pull the cocking piece to the rear before you can rotate it back to the right spot. On Rugers, you can simply rotate it by hand back to the correct spot, it is hard, but it can be done.

If you cannot rotate it by hand, I would suggest using a set of vise grips to grasp the cocking piece on the bottom of the bolt and pull it to the rear while turning the shroud back to the correct position.
Old November 16, 2005, 01:40 AM   #3
Guardian29

Did the trick

Thanks cntryboy1289 for the response. There was a notch to hold the bolt and shroud in the correct position. I had to use some vice grips to pull tension off then rotate shroud.

Again Thanks!!!!!!!
Old November 16, 2005, 07:01 AM   #4
cntryboy1289

Glad it worked

Good to hear you got it straightened out. It happens all the time to folks so don't sweat it happening, especially now that you know how to solve the problem.