The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 3, 2017, 01:56 PM   #1
hseII

A New 338-06AI

Good Evening,

Anyone had any dealings with this company?
http://www.nwactionworks.com/actions

Finding a LH action to start 338-06AI build is proving to be a challenge.

I believe I want a 26" barrel, but I'm not completely decided upon weight: either magnum contour, or something a touché larger with flutes: decisions, decisions.

I've always had a soft spot for the Remington KS rifles of the 80's, & so I will be looking for a stock similar to those Grey ones.

Recommendations & Input will be appreciated.
Old January 3, 2017, 03:41 PM   #2
jmr40

I wouldn't put a 26" barrel on a 338-06, event the AI version. No more than 24" and 22" or even shorter is more than adequate in that round.

It appears those are simply Remington actions that have been worked over. Not many options for left handed actions and that or Savage may be your best options. You might save money picking up a used left handed 700 to use as a donor.

Winston Churchill
Old January 3, 2017, 03:53 PM   #3
taylorce1

I love the .338-06, and I own a couple. I haven't ever heard of that company, but the prices aren't out of line if you need a LH rifle. I don't know what your plan is for the rifle. However, I can't recommend a varmint contour or heavier, in the end I don't think you'd enjoy it much.

I think McMillan makes a KS stock or at least they did. The KS is a nice looking rifle stock.

Old January 3, 2017, 07:32 PM   #4
hseII

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr40 View Post
I wouldn't put a 26" barrel on a 338-06, event the AI version. No more than 24" and 22" or even shorter is more than adequate in that round.

It appears those are simply Remington actions that have been worked over. Not many options for left handed actions and that or Savage may be your best options. You might save money picking up a used left handed 700 to use as a donor.

I found a 700LH in .270 locally for $550, but I only need the action, & wouldn't be able to get much for the barrel & stock.

That's within $50 of the "trued" 700 action, & its supposed to be ready.
Old January 3, 2017, 07:35 PM   #5
hseII

A New 338-06AI

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorce1 View Post
I love the .338-06, and I own a couple. I haven't ever heard of that company, but the prices aren't out of line if you need a LH rifle. I don't know what your plan is for the rifle. However, I can't recommend a varmint contour or heavier, in the end I don't think you'd enjoy it much.

I think McMillan makes a KS stock or at least they did. The KS is a nice looking rifle stock.

My 300WM was the sendero contour, but fluted: I thought it would be heavy, but it was actually quite manageable. I wish there was a contour between Magnum & Sendero Fluted.

How do those KS stocks feel when shooting?

That's 2 Nice Rifles, For Sure, but the dark one calls me.
Old January 3, 2017, 07:45 PM   #6
MarkCO

I have never heard of NW Action Works, but checking them on FB, several of my shooting friends who I trust have, and like them. If they have what you want, go for it. A $100 here and there is not a big deal and they have more than $100 of labor in that action.

I'd stick with the 24" and the standard .338-06. Not a whole lot of gain going to the AI with this caliber and my brass life has been great.
Old January 3, 2017, 10:00 PM   #7
taylorce1

Not my rifles, it's a picture I found to look at the KS stock.

My favorite .338-06 is a M70 in a McMillan Hunters Edge stock. It weighs 8.5 lbs with a full magazine and a nylon sling. It has a #3 contour barrel and I wouldn't choose anything heavier or longer.

Last edited by taylorce1; January 3, 2017 at 10:08 PM.
Old January 5, 2017, 09:34 PM   #8
hseII

Is anyone shooing a 215-250grain bullet, & what are your load details?

Have you harvested any game with said loads?

Barrel lengths?