The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

View Poll Results: What should I take for upland game this week?
.22 LR - Ruger 77/22 -- scoped, excellent accuracy to 100+ yd 5 29.41%
.22 Short - Springfield M56 -- iron sights, bolt action, insanely quiet, accurate 0 0%
.223 Rem - AR pistol -- 7.5" barrel, iron sights, 50-yd max on rabbit-sized critter 1 5.88%
6x45mm - AR rifle -- scoped, 13 lbs!, requires a brass catcher 0 0%
.35 Whelen - scoped, heavy, it needs to draw blood 2 11.76%
.444 Marlin - scoped, light and nimble, custom shotshells available, untested in 3 years 2 11.76%
.444 Marlin - iron sights, heavy, no shotshells, needs to draw blood 2 11.76%
.475 Tremor - AR rifle -- irons/red-dot, light and nimble, 9 rounds on tap, "decapitator" 0 0%
20 ga - bolt action Savage/Stevens -- works well, carries well, but only 2-round capacity 8 47.06%
Pistol - .22 LR - Browning Buckmark -- 5", accurate, dependable 2 11.76%
Pistol - .22 LR - Browning Buckmark -- 6.5" (?), laser-accurate, dependable, heavy barrel 3 17.65%
.480 Ruger - Ruger SRH -- 7.5", no holster 4 23.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 26, 2016, 11:51 PM   #1
FrankenMauser

What should I take for upland game this week?

I'm bored, and can't decide what to take on an upcoming rabbit and grouse trip.

I figured I'd throw a 'fun' thread into the hunting forum and see what you fellas thought.

So...
I have quite a selection of firearms to choose from. The 'primaries' are listed in the poll.
I'll be after various species of rabbits, hares, and grouse.
-Also bobcat, bear, and cougar, if given the opportunity, but it's highly unlikely.
And I'm more than willing to take chukar or partridge if I happen across them.

---

Weapons restrictions:
I can use pretty much any common firearm or projectile weapon for rabbits and bobcat; aside from a crossbow, or a shotgun shooting shells longer than 3.5".
I can use literally anything for grouse (including rocks, sticks, spears, and boomerangs); except for the above.
Cougar and bear require a centerfire weapon or shotgun.
Chukar and partridge require a shotgun firing shells 3.5" or shorter.

How that breaks down:
Rimfire: rabbits, bobcat, grouse.
Centerfire / muzzleloader: rabbits, bobcat, grouse, bear, cougar.
Shotgun: all species (with appropriate ammunition).

---

Six to twelve inches of snow will be on the ground, and I'll be hunting a mix of sagebrush, grassy meadows, evergreen forest, and aspen stands. (Must be careful to not shoot sharptail or sage grouse in the open areas!)

Most rabbits are spotted at 15-50 yards, and shots must be quick.

The grouse are generally only spotted within 20 feet, and if they flush, they're gone. I have never been able to drop a forest grouse that was on the wing; and the birds in the intended hunting area fly hundreds of yards before landing, so I can almost never pick them back up again. So, if spotted, I usually have time to line up with a 'single projectile' firearm. But if they flush, they're gone.

Chukars are usually 15-25 yards out, and partridge 25-50 yards out; but I'm not certain that I'll get into the right habitat to see them.
Old November 27, 2016, 12:40 AM   #2
Scorch

To me, it sounds like 22LR rifle work, but I suppose you could use a 20 ga shotgun. You can spot the rabbits on the sunny sides of brier rose clumps and brush piles sunning themselves. Move slowly as you approach these, you can spot them and pick them off. Forest grouse like open areas where they can find grit, and wooded areas where they can sit in a tree and watch. I used to glass the open areas or walk about 20-30 yds inside the edge of the tree-line to get them backlighted so I could pick them off with head shots.

Sounds like fun! I'm jealous.
Old November 27, 2016, 09:34 AM   #3
Mobuck

I'd say you're not likely to just stomp into a cougar or bobcat and most bears have gone into hibernation(?)so the "need" for a specific gun to address those encounters would be wasted effort. If you really think there is a possibility, stick some heavy shot loads or 3-4 slugs in your vest.
When I was a kid, we hunted rabbits every weekend. I carried a 20 gauge pump loaded with #6 (also worked for any quail we happened to jump) and a 22lr pistol in a shoulder holster for the bunnies patient enough to sit and wait to be shot. My hunting buddy carried an old Remington 511(?) and only took sitting shots on his side of the RR tracks.
Old November 27, 2016, 11:17 AM   #4
Crankylove

.480 Redhawk and the Whelen sound good to me.
Old November 27, 2016, 11:58 AM   #5
treg

I voted for the bare bones Buckmark. It is a test of marksmanship - each animal is a trophy. Those creatures also taste better when shot with an open sight .22 pistol.

I have found the heavier / longer barreled versions of several pistols to be detrimental when the action is fast and a negligible advantage when it's not.

Make sure you kill a bunch of tin cans and smaller targets before you go!

Last edited by treg; November 27, 2016 at 12:05 PM.
Old November 27, 2016, 12:41 PM   #6
buck460XVR

For most of us that regularly hunt upland game, we most generally think of birds.....grouse, quail, woodcock, pheasant and partridge. I know many folks also consider rabbit as upland game and by definition, turkeys are also upland game. Most of the time we also think as upland game as being hunted with the use of a dog. This means most all game will be running or flying at the time of the shot. In my state, one cannot use single projectile firearms legally for shooting any upland game bird....thus that means, I have to vote for the only shotgun you have listed. A handgun carried as a backup for any of the other species you have listed would be optional.
Old November 27, 2016, 12:51 PM   #7
jmr40

You don't own a shotgun? I would say none of the above and carry a lighter weight scattergun.
Old November 27, 2016, 07:00 PM   #8
FrankenMauser

Thanks for the replies.

I own several shotguns. There's a 20 ga listed in the poll.
The others aren't in the running because they're well-worn heirlooms that need some restoration work to be truly reliable again.

buck460XVR,
I know it is not the norm for most people, but I tend to take hares, rabbits, and grouse when they're sitting still -- either before they flush, or when the rabbit pauses for the quick look over its shoulder.
I think that method grew mostly out of the ability to use rimfire and centerfire firearms for grouse and rabbits, when I was growing up in Utah. I'm not opposed to running shots or shots on the wing, but if I can take my time and make a head shot for a cleaner, quicker kill, that's the option I'll select.
Old November 27, 2016, 07:57 PM   #9
2damnold4this

I think this is a perfect opportunity to justify the purchase of a new (to you) gun. How about some sort of double barrel shotgun or a rifle/shotgun combo? With a double shotgun, you could carry small diameter shot in one tube for rabbits, birds, and etc. and buckshot or a slug for bigger critters in the other.
Old November 27, 2016, 08:37 PM   #10
FITASC

20 gauge shotgun if you don't own a 28 - perfect for rabbits and grouse

Quote:
Not with a rifle anywhere I know here in the US.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 28, 2016, 03:53 AM   #11
Blindstitch

Why not carry one of those Browning Buckmarks and a shotgun.
Old November 28, 2016, 07:18 AM   #12
Sure Shot Mc Gee

HTML Code:
What should I take for upland game this week?
Ever think about borrowing?
Non in the selection would I consider truly useful for all upland game. Mandatory choice.>The 444 having open barrel sights. WHY? Being a Marlin there is no such thing as owner abuse. Yup!! Converted 444 brass into 2-3/8 shot shells of #6. Bandolier full of shinny brass bling carried afield. Now that would be impressive to all those others you happen to encounter. <That> and a 444 for bunnys.> Yes indeed.
Old November 28, 2016, 08:27 AM   #13
treg

Quote:
Quote:

Not with a rifle anywhere I know here in the US.
Not a problem here. Upland game birds fall under the same rules and regs as small game. I've taken several while out and about with a rifle or pistol.

FM says he can use a variety of methods where he hunts.

You should reread the OP and a few game digests..................
Old November 28, 2016, 09:46 AM   #14
Mr. Hill

Take the .480, send a little message to our upland game friends....
Old November 28, 2016, 10:34 AM   #15
buck460XVR

Quote:
buck460XVR,
I know it is not the norm for most people, but I tend to take hares, rabbits, and grouse when they're sitting still -- either before they flush, or when the rabbit pauses for the quick look over its shoulder.
I think that method grew mostly out of the ability to use rimfire and centerfire firearms for grouse and rabbits, when I was growing up in Utah. I'm not opposed to running shots or shots on the wing, but if I can take my time and make a head shot for a cleaner, quicker kill, that's the option I'll select.
I've used .22LR for rabbit and snowshoe hare many a time.......but that was more for the sport than anything else. Ain't particularly fond of wild rabbit and snowshoes around here taste like crap....and the single hole of a .22LR isn't any worse than several pellet trails. I was taught at a early age(grandpa and dad) that if one is hunting game birds or waterfowl, that "ground swatting" was a no-no from a sporting point of view. I have no issue with others doing it tho, but again, most of my bird hunting is done with my dog and I do not tolerate anyone(myself included) shooting at a bird on the ground when my dog is around. Different strokes for different folks...it's all good if it is safe and legal.
Old November 28, 2016, 11:04 AM   #16
FITASC

Quote:
Not a problem here. Upland game birds fall under the same rules and regs as small game. I've taken several while out and about with a rifle or pistol.

FM says he can use a variety of methods where he hunts.

You should reread the OP and a few game digests..................
And in his Op he mentions he needs a shotgun for chukar and partridge

Having hunted them for several decades, i prefer to read the legal hunting regs where I hunt. And in those 6 or 7 states over that time, shotgun only for game that flies. - Which is why I said "anywhere I know". Please don't try the backhand insult; it is not forum approved.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 28, 2016, 11:39 AM   #17
David R

One of my favorites Stevens 22-410
Or My Savage model 24V 222/20 gauge.

The perfect meat gun.

David
Old November 28, 2016, 02:50 PM   #18
treg

-deleted-

Last edited by treg; November 28, 2016 at 09:25 PM.
Old November 28, 2016, 07:20 PM   #19
FrankenMauser

Just so there's no confusion...
I'm not out to kill. I'm out to eat and do a little scouting for the upcoming muzzle loader elk season.

I'm willing to make the day a bit more challenging by taking a less-than-ideal firearm, but it isn't about sport or killing. It's about getting out into the mountains, enjoying myself, and hopefully bringing back some food.

Dumb shots are not taken. I won't be blowing up a grouse with a center-of-mass hit from the 6x45mm, or shooting through the breasts with a .22 LR.

And, of course, whatever firearm I take determines what can be hunted.
If I don't have a shotgun, then I can't take chukar and partridge. If I have a rimfire, then I can't take Cougar. Etc...

And, I remembered that there's another viable option that hasn't seen much use in the last few years: A Marlin 882 bolt action in .22 WMR. Plenty accurate. Slightly more range than .22 LR. Plenty of ammo on-hand for selecting the right load (or loads). And we're old friends - hundreds of rabbits and squirrels have had their brains evacuated by that rifle.
Old November 29, 2016, 04:19 AM   #20
FrankenMauser

I just wanted to add, for the record...
I was supposed to go out today (yesterday -- Monday), but family illness and a previously-undisclosed appointment scuttled those plans.

Tomorrow (today -- Tuesday), or Wednesday may be possible. But the illness will be the deciding factor. I'm not leaving until I know I won't be needed.

As of now, the leading candidates are:
1. .480 Ruger.
2. Buckmark #2.
3. The .22 WMR.

The .480 is possible, but questionable.
The Buckmark may have its numbers skewed due to the fact that one of the voters has a personal affiliation and affection for that pistol.
And the .22 WMR Marlin 882 has received no votes, because it wasn't in the poll. (Sorry -- I would have included it if I had remembered when creating the poll.)

I'm not really considering the shotgun at this time, because of recent snowfall in the hunt area (almost 24 inches in the last 36 hours). Under the new conditions, shots are likely to be longer. And, even though I do have a fondness for that ungainly piece of garbage (I turned it into something functional after picking it up as a broken pile of crap for $8) ... I'd rather have a little more reach and precision for my shots.

We'll see how things shake out when the time comes...
There are still plenty of temperature checks and 'fever-breaking' drug dosages to come, before I can head for the mountains.
Old December 2, 2016, 04:06 AM   #21
FrankenMauser

As they say...
"the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry"...

No hunting for me this week. Illnesses, appointments, and miscellaneous obligations got in the way.
And, as of today (12/1), muzzle loader elk season is officially open.

So, the primary will now officially be a .54 cal cap lock, stoked with 230 gr round balls and 73 gr of black powder.
But, I can still try to figure out what to take as a side-arm...

However, I'm off for a vacation in Appalachian NC for a bit, so I'll worry about firearm choice when I get back.
Old December 2, 2016, 11:10 AM   #22
Guv

FrankenMauser,
The 77/22 has to go, no doubt.
The 35 Whelen and virgin 444 because "blood" is good for a hunting rifle.
The AR pistol, sounds like fun.
The 480, you should always have a good CC handgun with you.
All for when you get back.