The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 6, 2014, 10:45 AM   #1
mardanlin

Cleaning dies?

How do you guys clean your dies? I've noticed that my depriming dies have become pretty dirty. I've bought a universal depriming die now to keep my resizing dies from continuing to get so dirty, but I'd like to clean them up now that I have an alternative.
Old March 6, 2014, 10:49 AM   #2
schmellba99

I take them apart and use something like CLP or Hornady One Shot - pretty much anything that is going to help loosen the carbon and dirt buildup. If you have a sonic cleaner, that would also be a good method.

Q-tips also help.

Once clean, I generally check to see if a light polish is required (I know it doesn't last, but it makes me feel better so that's my reasoning) and then reassemble. A shot of some sort of dry lube and you are back in business.

I can't remember the last time I cleaned any dies though - it's been a while. Usually my seater die is the one that needs the most regular attention, and that's on pistol dies because I load a lot of lead projos and with the lube and what not they are just inherently more apt to leave residue in the die than with copper plated or jacketed.
Old March 6, 2014, 10:58 AM   #3
jwrowland77

Pipe cleaners. Insert into die. Loop around. You'd be surprised at how much they clean out of the dies.
Old March 6, 2014, 11:02 AM   #4
WESHOOT2

and q-tips....I just use whatever 'cleaner' I have handy.
Old March 6, 2014, 11:50 AM   #5
Jay24bal

I will second the recommendation for throwing them in the ultrasonic cleaner if you have one. Just be sure to re-lube them adequately as the ultrasonic will clean every nook and cranny.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old March 6, 2014, 01:26 PM   #6
mnoirot64

A good shot of Hornady One Shot gun cleaner and lube, and I'm ready to go. If they did get really dirty, I might throw them into the ultrasonic cleaner.
Old March 6, 2014, 02:59 PM   #7
BigJimP

I just take the die apart....and clean them with a little solvent on a patch ...when I convert the press to another caliber.../ reassemble the tool head with the dies for shelf storage...( and next time, the caliber is needed ).

...Q tips or pipe cleaners to get in there ...will work also .../ if you don't want to take the dies apart.
Old March 6, 2014, 03:50 PM   #8
Rico567

Sorta like "BigJimP." I've been known to remove the stem and clean 'em with a patch, using a pistol cleaning rod. Seems to work.

- Mark Twain
Old March 6, 2014, 03:57 PM   #9
Wreck-n-Crew

I keep a can of brake cleaner around and save my powder blast for my guns. Really gets the grime out and doesn't leave any residue FME. I use the carbide dies and the crap just comes right off

I have never had to take them apart since the first time I blasted them, seeing how well it worked. Although they don't have a million rounds on the meter either.
Old March 6, 2014, 07:53 PM   #10
Metal god

I just wipe them out with a rag but I've only been reloading for less then a year so none are really all that dirty . If I may piggy back a die cleaning question on to this thread . I use FL bushing dies for my bolt guns and sizing wax for lube . The wax tends to build up in the bushing area after 30 or 40 cases . Do I need to keep the bushing free of wax so it self centers correctly ? or can I just keep sizing until I'm done with lets say 100 cases then wipe and or remove the wax from the bushing when done for next time ?

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old March 6, 2014, 08:10 PM   #11
Clark

I put them in the lathe, spin them, and poke a Q tip with FLITZ in there.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old March 7, 2014, 11:20 AM   #12
howlnmad

I tear them down and use brake cleaner and then a clp with a bore swab.
Old March 7, 2014, 11:28 AM   #13
William T. Watts

Flitz with a shotgun bore mop & drill motor! William
Old March 9, 2014, 09:58 AM   #14
F. Guffey

As always, I use a towel on a dowel.

I like the finish that develops in a die after a few years of use. I am not the fan of starting over by cleaning with all the harsh chemicals.

F. Guffey
Old March 9, 2014, 03:36 PM   #15
tobnpr

Brake cleaner takes it back to bare metal (spray it in, blow it out with compressed air)...then Hornady One-Shot Dry Lube.
Like new.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old March 9, 2014, 07:00 PM   #16
jepp2

1. First remove the rust preventative applied on all new dies. I use OMS (odorless mineral spirits) to do this.
2. A light coat of CLP on the dies inside and out
3. I use synthetic motor oil for my sizing lube, so after a sizing session I just run a patch with CLP on it through the inside of the dies.

Treat them like the bore of your rifle and they will stay just fine.

When I lived where the humidity was much higher, I had them rust while stored. It can happen.