The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 17, 2012, 08:19 PM   #1
frumious

Lube on jacketed bullets?

I used to buy moly-coated pistol bullets. They were always lead. So I thought moly was a lead-only thing. However, when I look at Hornady's jacketed rifle bullets (in, say .308 and .224) I see a lot of times they are offered with and without moly, for the same price. And since non-jacketed rounds are usually cheaper than jacketed rounds, I figure these Hornady rounds with the moly must be jacketed. I didn't know you could lube a jacketed bullet.

So can I take some of my regular-old jacketed bullets and tumble-lube some alox onto 'em?

-cls
Old May 17, 2012, 08:48 PM   #2
.243_Shooter

I don't know about your alox but they do sell moly lube for jackets bullets that you can apply yourself.
Old May 17, 2012, 10:40 PM   #3
Misssissippi Dave

If you want to coat jacketed bullets with moly you can use KG 7 from KG Coatings. Place just a little in a vib. tumbler with the bullets and they will be coated.

http://www.kgcoatings.com/lubricants/kg-7-moly-powder/
Old May 18, 2012, 07:52 AM   #4
frumious

Thanks, Dave. How much is "just a little"? In what size tumbler for how many bullets? Do you take out the normal tumbling media first?

Also, does moly help with copper fouling?

-cls
Old May 19, 2012, 08:14 AM   #5
Misssissippi Dave

You do need to remove the normal media first. I wipe it down with a dryer sheet then add the moly powder. One or two table spoons is more then enough per 100 bullets. You will need to empty the left over moly powder prior to using the normal media again. The dryer sheets again work after you pour out any moly left in there. The brand of vib. tumber shouldn't make any difference. If the tub seems slightly discolored after doing bullets it will be looking normal again after doing some cases with normal media. The dryer sheets work nicely when I tumble brass.

Moly will reduce cooper fouling but, it then leaves moly in the barrel. Moly is easy to clean from the barrel by just normally cleaning it. I suggest starting with a clean barrel prior to using moly coated bullets.

You will probably notice the speed of the bullet increases because of the lube.

Last edited by Misssissippi Dave; May 19, 2012 at 08:19 AM.
Old May 19, 2012, 08:53 AM   #6
m&p45acp10+1

Unless you are shooting at speeds like those of .220 Swift, or .22-.250 the moly lube is realy not needed. In fact in most cases it is counter productive, and pain in the posterior clean out of a rifle barrel.
Old May 19, 2012, 09:02 AM   #7
11B-101ABN

Moly Coating

My recomendation would be to buy another bowl for your vibrating tumbler and dedicate it to Moly use. Small amounts of moly has the potential to make HUGE messes, and the bowl is not easy to clean out after a few applications. Do it outside, or in a separate building as it is very noisy also. After you get a smooth coating on your bullets, you need to coat them by tumbling in some clean media with a little paste wax. Coating is not mandatory, but if they get wet, the moly will acceleraate corrosion of the bullets in loaded ammo. Buy your moly powder from a small oil products company (I got 5 pounds for $40.00) rather than the online moly kits that give you a couple ounces for $25.00. It goes a long way, I still have about 4 pounds left after probably 100k of .223 55 grainers.
Old May 19, 2012, 09:11 AM   #8
mete

It has had some popularity but many have given it up as too messy , hard to clean the gun all for little improvement. The other lube used is hexagonal boron which is white at least .