The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 23, 2012, 11:53 AM   #1
cmdc

Recoil reducing stocks

Which ones are most recommended?

Thanks
Old January 23, 2012, 01:22 PM   #2
zippy13

Quote:
Which ones are most recommended?
Typically the cheapest ones are the most recommended.
Are you looking for a cheap bolt on replacement for your plastic stock or a custom conversion for a wood stocked comp gun -- there's a world of difference in performance and appearance.
Old January 23, 2012, 01:42 PM   #3
Double Naught Spy

The Knoxx Spec-Ops stock is outstanding in my opinion. It gives you a collapsible stock that will go from being slightly shorter than a youth stock to full length. Recoil is dampened by a recoil spring in the stock. The receiver of the gun actually slide back into the stock against the recoil spring. The stock comes with a buttpad and you can buy other accessories for it like a shell holder, raise cheek rest, etc.

What the stock does is to decrease the the recoil impulse sharpness and speed by spreading it out over a longer period of time.

I don't use the buttpad on mine and like to run the gun with the stock fully collapsed.

The only real complaint I have seen is that it does change the recoil angle slightly and some folks get their cheeks bumped during recoil. That stops with familiarity of use.

Last I checked, they run about $120. Also, this stock may not work with enertia based semi-auto shotguns.
Old January 23, 2012, 03:22 PM   #4
Irish B

I have the knoxx spec ops double shock absorbing stock too and I agree with it's performance. I can shoot a 3" slug and it feels like a. 22. . . .well almost!
Old January 23, 2012, 08:02 PM   #5
M4BGRINGO

Here ya go: Cheap isn't good and good isn't cheap. This cost me more than a lot of my guns, but it is soooooo worth it!

Old January 23, 2012, 08:55 PM   #6
zippy13

There ya go M4BGRINGO, that's the same unit I have on my Beretta. I got it because it uses the same air unit as the more expensive, but prettier, JS unit I have on one of my P-guns. Also, Mike (of Shock Master) is in my neighborhood and JS is 2-hours up the road.
Old January 23, 2012, 09:01 PM   #7
WV_gunner

2 big steel bars in the stock turn a light 10 gauge into feeling like an old 12 gauge with a hard butt plate. I don't like this method, but it works. Along with a recoil pad, which I hate, you wouldn't have much recoil.
I actually removed the bars from my stock that the previous owner installed. I don't mind recoil.
Old January 23, 2012, 09:22 PM   #8
zippy13

Adding weight is an old school method of reducing recoil, but it also changes the gun's handling characteristics. I have some weight in the front of my R-1100's mag tube to smooth out its swing. For the guys using the Knoxx unit, I don't think they want to reduce their mag capacity by adding any weight there.
Old January 24, 2012, 01:28 AM   #9
olddrum1

M4B, pretty much looks like my trap gun. Set it and forget it.
Old January 24, 2012, 03:18 AM   #10
TheKlawMan

If you are interested in the Knoxx Spec Ops stock, I understand that it is now marketed by Blackwater amd tjey just came out with a second generation that fixes some kind of problem that some had wioth the first generation.
Old January 24, 2012, 03:29 PM   #11
Hoosier_Daddy

+1 on the Knoxx spec-ops. But I guess it depends on the make and model of your shotgun on what will work.

I have the Knoxx spec-ops on a Remingotn 870 express 12 guage and it really tamed down that recoil.