The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 20, 2012, 01:23 PM   #1
rebs

Hornady case lube

I bought a can at a gun show today for $7.00. Is there any tips or secrets I need to know since I have never used it before ?

I wanted to try Dillon in the pump bottle but being able to only order it from Dillon it comes to almost 16.00 a bottle with shipping.
Old October 20, 2012, 01:48 PM   #2
hodaka

In my experience the best thing you can do with One-Shot is throw it away. They don't call it One Shot for nothing!
Old October 20, 2012, 03:25 PM   #3
Stressfire

Not really, I've been using it for a bit now - seems to work fine

My method - put shells to be lubed in a plastic tub, spray 'em down, give 'em a toss and let 'em dry. Wipe down cartridges when they are done.

My FiL swears by the Dillon spray - if claims are to be believed, he's been using the same bottle for years. But, then again....I don't shoot his reloads anymore, memory is not what it used to be (if it ever was)
Old October 20, 2012, 03:37 PM   #4
higgite

I use One Shot for .223 all the time. Haven't tried it for .308 and probably won't since I don't bulk load .308. I spread the .223 brass out single layer in a supermarket throw-away aluminum roasting pan and spray the lube from all 4 directions, shaking the pan between sprays. Don't be stingy with it and do give it time to dry. I stuck 2 cases before I learned not to be stingy. No problem since.
Old October 20, 2012, 03:56 PM   #5
Xfire68

I have been using Hornady One Shot for a number of years and it has always worked great. There are cheaper lubes out there and I am sure lubes that work better but, I can't say I have had a issue with One Shot causing problems loading any of the 7 calibers I load.

Tip: I use a old plastic coffee can and lid. Put the brass in the can spray and shake.
Old October 20, 2012, 03:57 PM   #6
tobnpr

Never figured out all the hate for One Shot here...I've never used anything else, and all I handload is bottleneck centerfires.

Don't skimp (but you don't want them dripping, either)- and be sure to spray at an angle so that you get some in the case necks.

The only time I've ever had an issue is when I didn't get enough in the neck- and the expander would start to stick. The lube has no effect on the powder, so don't be afraid to get it in the neck...When I sit down at the bench it's to do about 400 rounds in one night- and spray lube is the fastest way to get it done.

Never had issues with case life, over-lubing/dented cases , or stuck cases.
Old October 20, 2012, 04:11 PM   #7
Misssissippi Dave

I will use one shot for pistol cases. I don't need much lube for them. I just stand them up and give them a shot from each direction then let it dry for a minute or two. I have some Dillon spray and it is way more than I need for pistol cases. I would use it for rifle cases.

To clean the one shot off I will put the cases in corncob and vib for a couple of minutes or just put them in an old towel and move them around. I have also forgotten to clean them and they worked as well. The cases just looked a little dirtier after being shot. I really don't have to lube for pistol cases. It does make it faster and easer to load the cases when lubed.
Old October 20, 2012, 07:32 PM   #8
wncchester

One Shot works fine WHEN it's used as directed; which it often isn't.

Spray lubes are excellant for large volume reloading but somewhat wasteful and it's of little value for small quanties like 100 or less, IMHO.

Imperial or Hornady's Unique or one of their many substitutes are clean to apply and just as quick as a messy lube pad after gaining the knack of finger applying it properly.
Old October 21, 2012, 08:21 AM   #9
springer99

One-Shot works fine for me, although most of my reloading is for straight or tapered walled cartridges. I do use it well for 30-06 though.
Just make sure you give it a minute or two for the carrier to "flash-off" before using it. I use the wait time to fill my primer trays, which is more than enough time.

For use with my carbide dies, I usually just lube 1 case out of 5 or 10, in order to make the resizing effort go easier. I also find it makes a great press lube to keep things running freely. Since it dries quickly, it doesn't attract primer grit, ect. which can gum things up over time.
Old October 21, 2012, 11:57 AM   #10
Nathan

IMHO, Hornady changed their One Shot formula in the last year or so, or they have lost control of the mixture on my can. My last can worked super. . .just shake, shoot cases, shake cases, dry and use.

The new can has different directions, which is why I think the formula may be different and it doesn't seem to dry. Hmmm.

Last, this new can was working normal for pistol. . .I lube ALL cases, but I stuck a 223 in the die. Also, sizing die effort was all over the board. YMMV. I'm not sure if I try another can, or switch to dillon. My temp c/m is to use the Hornady tub lube. It seems to work fine.
Old October 21, 2012, 12:35 PM   #11
jag2

Interesting, what do you think changed in the directions? I looked at a can I bought about 6 months ago and they seem to be the same as always but I admit I haven't read them for a long time. Basicly, shake well and spray then let dry for a minute. If you don't shake a lot you will be spraying out a lot of the lube but none of the drying agent. I remember the label changed in appearance the last year or so but I don't think the product changed. It doesn't say "new and improved" or anything like that. Could be wrong, but like others, I've used it for a long time with no problems.
Old October 22, 2012, 11:09 AM   #12
CS86

In my experience. Shake well and don't skimp on the spray. make sure you get enough on otherwise you start feeling more resistance in the press eventually ending up with a stuck case. Other than that I don't mind it. It's quick and easy.
Old October 22, 2012, 11:35 AM   #13
bedlamite

I've used several brands of spray case lube and Hornady One Shot was the only one I've ever had a stuck case.
Old October 22, 2012, 12:35 PM   #14
pre64win

I have used it for years and like it.As sated above,most of the problems people have with it is improper application. Shake it for the full minute to get the lube into the carrier For application I use a shallow plastic freezer container about 7 inches square, put in a layer and spray, shake them, add another layer(I don't try to arrange them I just dump them in.) spray some more--do this until the container is full or you have the amount you need. Load your press with primers and powder , by then the cases will be ready. Most of the time I just leave it on the cartridge but if you want it off it is easy to remove.

I have used them for everything from 9MM to 300WSM with out any problems.

For silky smooth carbide pistol die resizing spray just a little occasionally .
I have some Dillon spray and compared to OneShot it is a greasy mess.
Old October 22, 2012, 06:49 PM   #15
droptrd

I llove one shot. I use it for all kinds of things. Case lube obviously - shake well and soak em. I load alot of 223. Never had a stuck case with it. I also use it for cleaning my dies and press ond other gear. its good stuff IMO and easy to use. I also use RCBS case lube 2 with a pad alot too. I get the same results from both. No matter what case lube I use though, I always use Hornady Unique along with it. Just a dab and smear on my thumb and index finger. Makes for smoother and easier operation of my press. All 3 clean off very easily. The one shot cleans off better than the RCBS case lube 2 IMO

Last edited by droptrd; October 22, 2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old October 22, 2012, 07:39 PM   #16
LE-28

I use One Shot for pistol and rifle both. I stuck a 30-06 case once but I didn't let it dry long enough.

I shake the H out of the can before I use it.

I hose them down pretty good and let them set for 10 minutes. My 30-06 cases resize as easy as my 30-30s. The directions on the first can I bought said to spray over the cases and let the spray land on the shells. I spray them with direct shot of liquid.

I single stage all my rifle loads so after resizing I run them through my tumbler for about 15 minutes to get the lube off before I finish loading them.

I don't do the quantities of rifle shells as some of you do so I don't mine a few extra steps.
My pistol loads get tumbled after I load them. I find the stuff very agreeable.
Old October 22, 2012, 08:00 PM   #17
NWPilgrim

I usually use a wax lube for smaller batches, especially on .30-06. But for large batches of .223 I use One Shot. I invert the cases in a shell holder and spray the bases from two sides. Have never had a stuck case except once when I completely forgot to lube.

I like that One Shot dries and I often do not clean the cases after sizing. But when I use the RCBS spray or a wax then I tumble again in corn cob. A spray is wasteful for a small number of cases so that is when I just apply wax with my fingers.

As others have said, just read the directions and follow them. Remember the bases are where the most friction occurs, not up around the shoulder.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old October 23, 2012, 07:45 PM   #18
rebs

I used the Hornady One Shot today to load some 223's, I didn't get any stuck cases. However it was harder to press the case into the die than it is with my RCBS lube pad. I believe that was my fault as I may not have sprayed enough One Shot on the cases. I used a tupperwear container and drilled a small hole in the side, put about 50 cases in the container and put the tube through the hole and sprayed for 4 seconds then shook them up and sprayed another 4 seconds and shook them up again. When I got down to the last cases there was a liquid in the bottom of the container. Next time I will put 50 in a loading block and spray the cases directly and see what happens.
Old October 23, 2012, 10:50 PM   #19
jdillon

I use One Shot on a regular basis for both straight wall and bottled neck cases and have never had an issue. The key is to follow the directions, don't be stingy and let the cases sit for an appropriate amount of time before sizing. Dillon Case Lube is a very good lube and a little goes a long way. Over applying DCL will generally result in hydraulic dents in the shoulder.

When using either of the two, I place the cases in a large teflon coated aluminum skillet and spray on the lube then shake the cases around in the skillet. The disperses the lube evenly around the cases.
Old October 25, 2012, 07:41 AM   #20
Ms kid

New to reloading but have loaded 250 rounds of 223 with the one shot have had only one issue. i had some build up in my die and dented two cases. Took the die apart cleaned it with rubbing alcohol and cuetip resumed resizing with no more issues. Like it so far.
Old October 25, 2012, 07:09 PM   #21
snuffy

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/116...shot-case-lube

The main deterrent is the expense. $6.99 for a 5.5 oz. fizz can! How long will it last?

One main problem with it is the waste, #2 behind the expense. No matter how you apply that spray, you waste about half that does NOT get on the brass. That over-spray will build up on the loading blocks so thick, you can't tell what color they were to start with.(They all end up white!)

Where the stuck cases come from is loading blocks with deep holes where the cases sit, prevents the spray from getting to the most important part of the case, the bottom third of the case. The head and expansion ring.

The best sprays are the midway, dillon, and RCBS versions, which are simply lanolin suspended in alcohol.

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...roductId/12947

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old October 25, 2012, 09:43 PM   #22
rodfac

I don't lube hand gun brass, none of it...I've got carbide dies and rely on the die to do its work.

For rifle: .300 Savage, .35 Remington, .30-06, .223, .30 Carbine, .30-30, .32 Special, .30-40, .38-55, .45-70, .338 Magnum, .35 Whelen, .280, 7x57, .218 Bee, .25-20, .32-20, 38-40 and .44-40, and .308 with commercial brass....I use the spray lubes. Dillon's on the LGS's shelves so that's what comes home with me...it lasts a long time...over a year at least and I"m shooting in excess of 5000 rounds of rifle a year.

I've used the spray ones available from Hornady and Dillon for many years with good success. Here's the procedure I use: lay your entire box of twenty cartridge cases on a clean piece of toweling. Like they were in a machine gun belt...then with a quick hand motion, and one pump push, walk the spray down the entire line. One spritz, that's it. I then roll the entire line with my palm to spread the lube to the back side and to remove the excess. That piece of towel will get a patina of lube on it after a box or two and you'll find you a shorter "spritz" of lube to get the job done.

I lube the inside of the case neck by sticking the case mouth down on the piece of toweling and twirling it a quarter turn as I pick it up to begin sizing. That little bit is enough to prevent drag over the expander button.

This works on everything but Lake City Nat'l Match 7.62 brass, (the one with the canelure around the base just above the extractor cut). For those, I use the dab on a finger method, very thinly, with Imperial Sizing Wax. The same tin has been with me at least 15 years.

Hope this helps, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old October 26, 2012, 12:28 PM   #23
jag2

Listen up you nimrods. The only thing wrong with One Shot is they don't print the instructions large enough to be easily read, assuming all of you inbred rednecks know how to read. It doesn't mention tupperware or roasting pans, it says to use loading blocks which I would think about 99% of reloaders have. Shake the blankety blank bottle and spray as instructed, not that difficult. You will have to learn a little thru trial and error on how much to spray. Can you do that? And cost, I guess if you shoot a 1000 rounds of rifle loads a month you might use up a can, and you're complaining about 8 dollars. Really, that's too much for your shooting budget? I think reloaders aren't happy if they aren't whining about something.
Sorry for the rant, just had a little Navy flashback.
Old October 26, 2012, 01:41 PM   #24
tobnpr

^^^^
LOL, that was GREAT....

Whole lotta bitchin and gripin over a good product.

Like you said, it works great if used as directed with a little common sense.

If someone has a problem with it, it isn't the product.

Ditto on the cost factor...

Jeezus...like guys whining about brass cost for cripes sake... when you're spending over .30 a bullet, it's negligible...
Old October 26, 2012, 02:36 PM   #25
hooligan1

Rednecks?? really... sounds like someone needs a nap!!!

I have the same bottle of RCBS caselube, that me and my brother started with in the eighties,,,, no problems easy to use, cases come straight off the pad into the die and then into tumbler..... even a person like Jag2 can use it.