The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 29, 2012, 03:15 PM   #1
Toader

Need Information on Rota Model 84 20 Gauge Over Under

Need Information on Rota Model 84 20 Gauge Over Under! My Dad traded an old Browning A5 for a Rota Model 84 20 Gauge Over Under. I have been looking every where for information but I keep coming up with nothing. I have seen a Rota Model 83 Over Under but those are all 12 Gauges. Does anyone know anything about it? What it's worth? Or how rare it is?
Thanks,
Toader
Old January 30, 2012, 10:41 AM   #2
johnbt

So what's the first thing I find with google? A 20 ga. Model 83.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...del_83_Shotgun

I'm still looking.
Old February 2, 2012, 01:48 AM   #3
OkieCruffler

If it weren't for the fixed chokes I might give that a try because of the double triggers. But it looks like your dad took a beating unless that A5 was really beat up.
Old February 4, 2012, 01:00 AM   #4
Toader

Well at the time my dad had 3 kids that were starting their hunting career but he had only 2 20 gauges, and the idea of a heavy 12 gauge in the hands of a not so strong 8 year old kind of scared him. So he figured that he would trade one of his shotguns for an over under 20. Well it turns out that a 14 1/4 inch length of pull was too much for me so he cut down the stock to a manageable 12 1/2 inches. Well now that Im older I dearly love the gun but it is way too short for me now. So as of now Im just looking for any info that i can get on it and where i could maybe buy a replacement butt stock for it. Or where i could have someone possibly make me a stock.
-Toader
Old February 4, 2012, 01:34 AM   #5
OkieCruffler

So we're looking at nostalgic value over monetary value, always a good trade I've found. Does it already have a recoil pad on it? If not you could just almost add 2 inches with a good recoil pad. How does it shoot? I really am attracted to those double triggers.
Old February 10, 2012, 07:04 PM   #6
Toader

It shoots nice and everything but I need to adjust the triggers. The triggers are set a 12lbs each. So Ill need to adjust those. I also tried putting a standard 870 exress recoil pad on it but its still too short so Im going to try and make a nice spacer and buy a cheap grind to fit butt pad and put those on there. Any tips?
Old February 10, 2012, 08:40 PM   #7
OkieCruffler

I have an old recoil pad I bought for a buck at a gunshow. I bought it so I could try to grind it down just to learn how. I've had it for about 5 years now and haven't gotten around to it. That's all the tip I have.

Tags
over under , rota , shotgun