The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 10, 2011, 11:43 AM   #26
chack

It always blows my mind how casually people accept restrictions and infringements on their constitutional rights. It makes me wonder how long it will be before someone decides that a permit is needed to own books or personal libraries are limited to a arbitrary capacity.
Old July 10, 2011, 11:57 AM   #27
abelacres

Spats,

I'm not sure. Another family member had went up for a vist and found primers and powder on a heckuva sale at a sporting goods store. He asked if he needed a FOID card to buy supplies and he was told no and could buy all he liked. (Which he did.) Could have been a screw up on the clerk's part, but I would just imagine they are pretty well trained.
Old July 10, 2011, 02:09 PM   #28
Davey

Quote:
It always blows my mind how casually people accept restrictions and infringements on their constitutional rights. It makes me wonder how long it will be before someone decides that a permit is needed to own books or personal libraries are limited to a arbitrary capacity.
We have at least a half dozen or so cases going on right now fighting the nonsense here in IL. A lot of people are fighting hard over here.
Old July 11, 2011, 12:25 PM   #29
jsimmons

If you think the Feds *AND* the state of Texas doesn't know who owns what and how much/many, you are sadly mistaken. Are they supposed to keep that info? No. Do they? I'd bet a paycheck that they do. Just wait and see.

If a terrorist event hapens, Marshal Law will go into effect, and they WILL be knocking on everyon's door that has purchased a gun (from a dealer or through a FFL) or ammo (online or locally with a atm/credit card), and you'll be standing there wondering how they knew.

I hope you have a place to hide your stuff...
Old July 11, 2011, 07:43 PM   #30
blackriderhank

you can buy ammo in IL without an FOID if you are not from IL. Individual firearems are not registered in IL. FOID and gunhateing pols are one of the reasons I left IL
Old July 11, 2011, 09:08 PM   #31
Mike38

******* post deleted *******
Old July 11, 2011, 09:56 PM   #32
kraigwy

Don't know much about Ill laws, always wondered how they would act regarding the LEOSA.

Last fall I took a motorcycle road trip to Camp Perry OH. I crossed through Ill on I-90/80, (the part where you have to pay extra to drive, we don't have them in Wyoming). At one of the rest areas I was warming up and met some Chicago Cops who were on a MC day trip.

I was wearing my old APD leather Jacket (it was cold) which still has a faded APD Patch. One of the guys ask me if I was a cop. Jokingly I told him I had been but stole the coat when I retired. That didn't seem to impress him. He asked if I was carrying and I just grinned and say "don't know, am I"? He just shook his head and walked away.

They didn't seem as friendly as most cops I've run across. Hope it wasn't an example on CPD. Later I found out about Chicago being uppity to people traveling through with guns.

They got some funny rules back east.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old July 12, 2011, 07:12 AM   #33
mrray13

Yep, kraig, you met Chicago's finest, and their elitest attitude that only they should carry. I know state troopers from my way, who have been hassled by CPD. Seriously. They don't think any off duty officers should carry, save for themselves.

And I could go on about the way they act off duty, in personal vehicles traveling through down south. Some of my favorite traffic stops, lol!!!
Old July 12, 2011, 11:07 AM   #34
Terminus009

rising tide

Now that every state in the republic allows ccw for law abiding citizens in one form or another, except THIS state, I'm sure the politicians and CPD can feel the water up around their necks. The 2nd Amendment is getting its day in court all over the state and I believe, if we all do our part, writing our legislators regarding this issue, it is inevitable that a non-discretionary ccw law will be passed in the near future. If not, it is further inevitable that the districts outside of Cook county will begin nominating and returning pro-2nd Amendment candidates for seats in Springfield. I, for one, am actively involved in this effort. I urge my fellow Illinoisans to do the same. NRA-ILA can help us get organized. Visit the NRA-ILA website, Grassroots page, to find out more.

From Southern Illinois,
Let's get busy!
J
----- In Justice Robert H. Jackson's memorable words, "If there is any fixed star in our constellation, it is that no official, high or petty, can prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion, or other matters of opinion or force citizens to confess by word or act their faith therein."