The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 22, 2007, 05:21 PM   #1
moreland281

Anyone Using These Powders for 5.7x28 with 55gr bullets? H335/NO5/1680/IMR4198

Hello
I"m still new to reloading (been reloading 223, 9mm, & 40sw)
I just received my dies for my 5.7x28

Here is my problem.

I'm wanting to use the same bullets in my 223 as my 5.7x28.
I like the 55gr load in my 223 so I wanted to use it in my 5.7x28 (as plinking ammo)

I am ordering some other grain bullets to use as hunting/percision with my 5.7 but only 50 at a time of them (I don't do it that often 50 will be a years worth of hunting ammo for me)

I have the following powders available
H335
IMR4198

I have noticed some of these used on the 5.7 but not with 55gr bullets.

I use CCI #400 primers.

If anyone can give me a good starting load to use with any/all these powders I would be very greatful. I have no idea what to start with on this load. (haven't found that much data on the 5.7 around)

I know AA has data listed for #5 but not for that grain bullet..

Thanks again

John
Old October 22, 2007, 08:26 PM   #2
Trapper L

I think you'll find the 55 gr bullets to heavy for that round. They probably won't stabilize at the twist/velocity that is produced. H335 is totally out of the question and I wouldn't even attempt AA5. Loading densities/pressure in this case will go critical quick. A fast powder like AA5 will only make it worse and dangerous. 4198 is also too slow and that leaves the AA1680. You could start low with it and give it a try but if it were me, I'd contact the folks at Western/Accurate powders and see if they have some ideas for you. Give them a call: (406) 234-0422. I believe that they will tell you the 55s won't work and AA1680 is too slow. But if you would, I would like to know what their comments are.
Old January 24, 2008, 11:35 AM   #3
Smiter_Co

I'm looking for reloading data of any kind and not having much luck finding it.
Old January 25, 2008, 08:09 AM   #4
lslubecki

http://www.fivesevenforum.com/

Go here. http://www.fivesevenforum.com/ They have a reloading section with more variety than you will ever see anywhere. They are loading 55gr at 1600 fps. Awesome site if you own a FN5.7! Different powders and different grain bullets. They stress safety and all that have posted are done with crono readings and powder grains used. I cant say enough about this site and the info you will have access to. Some are a little gruff in their responce so read and do searches and grow a little thick skin and enjoy the site.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.