The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 3, 2014, 03:25 PM   #1
Dc777

Right out of the box, a problem with the M&P

Well I received an m&p 22 for Christmas. The weather has prevented me from going shooting on the days I've been free, but I finally got the chance to go shoot my new toy. Ofcourse I cleaned the gun thoroughly before use with hoppes no 9 and oiled it up. It appears that the factory magazine is messed up. The gun doesn't like to feed. Without me asking a friend of mine loaned me one of his magazines so that I wouldn't have to reload every 12 shots and his magazine works flawlessly in my gun. My biggest gripe is that when you click on " contact us " on the s&w website an error message pops up. That seems like bad customer service to me. This is the first s&w that I've owned..... Do they usually have good customer service?

Paintings were made to look at, and guns were made to be shot. If you aren't going to use them as they are intended for, get rid of them and buy a Picasso.
Old January 3, 2014, 03:32 PM   #2
Shadi Khalil

Right now S&W is completely slammed and under staffed. I have been waiting for 6 months for a replacement gun. Good luck
Old January 3, 2014, 03:38 PM   #3
zincwarrior

There are two points:
1. customer service: Call them or bring the pistol to the dealer you bought it from.

2. magazine. Is it just a magazine issue? I've had errant magazines before from a variety of manufacturers. If so, get some more (you need to do such anyway).
Old January 3, 2014, 03:42 PM   #4
Uncle Malice

Yes, S&W generally has excellent customer service.

Try giving them a call at 1 (800) 331-0852

You may have a big of a wait time as with any customer service line. They should be able to help though.
Old January 3, 2014, 03:44 PM   #5
Dc777

I failed to mention that I waited on the phone for 48 minutes before hanging up because nobody would pick up the phone ( had to shower and get ready to leave the house ). I've already ordered extra magazines from another source, but I plan to make them do right and provide me with a working magazine that was supposed to come with the gun. This is my first s&w handgun, and so far I'm a little ticked off about it. Maybe I should have went with the ruger sr 22

Paintings were made to look at, and guns were made to be shot. If you aren't going to use them as they are intended for, get rid of them and buy a Picasso.
Old January 3, 2014, 03:46 PM   #6
zincwarrior

Your plan of action sounds like the right plan.

Historically S&W has had excellent CS. I'm a little surprised. The holidays might be a factor.
Old January 3, 2014, 03:48 PM   #7
Uncle Malice

Do you see anything obviously wrong with your magazine vs your friends magazine? If not - how would you expect them to? I know it sucks having something that isn't working right, but it's nothing to get upset about. It sounds the gun is working just fine, it's just a bad magazine. It's not like every mag gets function tested in a gun.

If it makes you feel any better - and it probably doesn't - my M&P22 has over 2k rounds through it and has never had a failure. That's kind of odd for any 22 pistol. 22 ammo itself usually isn't even THAT reliable. I've been quite pleased with mine.

I'm sure they'll take care of you. Have a little patience. Good luck!
Old January 3, 2014, 03:50 PM   #8
Dc777

I wish their contact us worked on their site. I really just wanted to send a short email and let them get back to me. I suppose I ask for too much.

Old January 3, 2014, 03:51 PM   #9
southjk

You will like the gun once you get past the initial hackedoffedness. I'd be upset as well but they will make it right if you can get in touch with them. I communicated by email when I had a sight problem on my .22 and they fixed me right up.

Last edited by Spats McGee; January 3, 2014 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Removing asterisks
Old January 3, 2014, 03:54 PM   #10
Uncle Malice

I'm getting an error on the contact page too. Looks like a java exception. I'm sure it'll get fixed before too long.

southjk, maybe you can share the customer service email address if you have it in your history so he can get one off that way.
Old January 3, 2014, 04:00 PM   #11
TunnelRat

Quote:
I wish their contact us worked on their site. I really just wanted to send a short email and let them get back to me. I suppose I ask for too much.
Sorry about your troubles.

I've always been able to get through on the phone, though at busy times I have definitely waited. Sometimes trying at different times through the day is better.
Maintain situational awareness
Old January 3, 2014, 04:01 PM   #12
Crazy88Fingers

Doesn't S&W usually shut down around the holidays? That may be the problem right there.
Old January 3, 2014, 04:06 PM   #13
Dc777

The spring in mine feels funny compared to my friends and also the top of the magazine is sticking up further when in the gun ( the plastic piece on top)

Old January 3, 2014, 05:29 PM   #14
southjk

Quote:
southjk, maybe you can share the customer service email address if you have it in your history so he can get one off that way.
For emails, please include your name, address, phone number and serial number of the firearm.
By Email: [email protected]

Last edited by southjk; January 3, 2014 at 05:35 PM.
Old January 3, 2014, 06:23 PM   #15
DannyB1954

If your Magazine is different from your friends, and his works, that is a pretty good indicator that it is the magazine. Order another one online. Once you get through to S&W, I am sure they will exchange the mag for you.
The dealer you purchased the gun from may even exchange the mag for you, give them a call.
Old January 3, 2014, 06:56 PM   #16
Dc777

The gun came from academy. They actually said that it was out of their hands and they couldn't help me. I think that's partly because they don't have any magazines on their shelf and they can't swap it with one in a brand new gun. I told the guy on the phone that I understood and thanked him for his time. A few minutes after I hung up the phone I got to thinking and I pulled out the folder that I keep all of my receipts in. It turns out that I spent $788.34 at academy this past Christmas season on gifts for multiple people and that figure does NOT include the money I spent on the pistol.... Bummer. But I will get it squared away in the end. I wish these magazines were easier to find. They bring a high premium on ebay. Midway is the only place that I have found that has them. I got one in from them this evening and it looks like it should, but I don't understand why it was shipped in a zip lock bag instead of the original plastic box that they come in.

Old January 3, 2014, 10:24 PM   #17
RBid

Umarex is killing 22s. Ugh.
Old January 3, 2014, 10:56 PM   #18
Hal

Quote:
Umarex is killing 22s. Ugh.
??

The S&W is made by them too?

BTW-
This is coming up on the contact us link:

"Contact Information

Due to increased call volume, we are experiencing longer than normal wait times. Please be patient and utilize our customer service email whenever possible [email protected]. We are working to remedy this situation as quickly as possible.

At Smith & Wesson, we value our customers. So, we have been hard at work this summer installing a new system that will help us to deliver an enhanced level of customer service. When completed, our new system will help you more quickly access everything you need from Smith & Wesson, whether itÂ’s information on a new or existing product, or a conversation with one of our knowledgeable representatives. The delays experienced in our customer service department as a result of this process have been frustrating for all of us. For that we apologize, and we truly thank you for your continued support. We request your patience for just a bit longer. Soon we will be back up to speed with a new and improved capability that will further enhance the high quality customer service you have come to expect from Smith & Wesson. Thank you.

Before contacting Customer Support, please review our FAQ page where many common questions are answered.

When contacting customer service, please have the owner name, address, model and serial number available. The information will help the service representative to expedite your request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For emails, please include your name, address, phone number and serial number of the firearm.
By Email: [email protected]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Telephone:
1-800-331-0852 (USA)
Mon-Fri 8:00AM-8:00PM Eastern Time

1-413-781-8300 (International)
Mon-Fri 8:00AM-5:00PM Eastern Time

By Fax:
1-413-747-3317 (USA)
1-413-731-8980 (International)

Last edited by Hal; January 3, 2014 at 11:25 PM.
Old January 4, 2014, 02:11 AM   #19
SHE3PDOG

I contacted them through email when I sent my gun in and received it back from them in less than 10 days maybe 2 months ago. I'm going to say that it's probably just because of the holidays. Also, be careful with the takedown lever; I broke mine. Aside from that, I haven't experienced any major problems with mine after around 1000 rounds. It seems pretty reliable with the Winchester ammo I feed it.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old January 4, 2014, 07:13 AM   #20
Homerboy

The S&W M&P is actually made by Walther, not Umarex.
Old January 4, 2014, 09:32 AM   #21
CZ_Todd

I bought a Browning Buckmark 22 last year. It had FTF problems with all types of ammo. I bought 4 other magazines and they got mixed up. I went to the range one day with a marker. Any time I had a FTF I put an X on the magazine with the problem. Turns out I only had problems with one magazine--I assume it was the one that came with it.

22 magazines are cheap. Buy more.
Old January 4, 2014, 09:39 AM   #22
Uncle Malice

Quote:
22 magazines are cheap. Buy more.
I would not call the M&P 22 magazines especially cheap. For as simple as they are, they cost about the same as other full size semi auto pistol magazines. You're looking at about $30 each. Fortunately, they at least seem to be a little more readily available finally than they were when I got mine. It took me over 6 months to find an extra magazine.
Old January 4, 2014, 02:41 PM   #23
ritepath

My son's umarex pellet gun is great. I looked at the M&P last year and decided against it because of that reason...
Old January 4, 2014, 04:38 PM   #24
RBid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerboy View Post
The S&W M&P is actually made by Walther, not Umarex.

Umarex slaps 'made by Carl Walther' on everything, but they make the 22s and the PK380. Those are not real Walthers.
Old January 4, 2014, 05:27 PM   #25
RBid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal View Post
??

The S&W is made by them too?

)

Yup. As is the Colt Rail Gun 22, the HK 416 and MP5 22s, the P22, the Sig Mosquito, the IWI Uzi 22, and a lot of others.