The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old May 24, 1999, 12:07 AM   #1
Tallison

Any ideas, year made, exact model, what its worth?
Remington 870 Magnum on receiver, serial #w930139m... dark brown wood flat finish with recoil pad....20 inch barrel with cyl. stamped on left side of barrel 12GA. bead sight blue finish..........on barrel close to receiver on left side stamped 77 8s 69 on right side stamped inside a circle REP inside a triangle an H also a lone R and a lone M......100% appears unfired. Ireally don't know what I've got...help
Old May 24, 1999, 04:36 AM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Tallison:
There are so many Model 870 variaions I will need a little more information:

Can you see mineral stripe in wood?
Is the stock and 4 arm checkered?
Is the 4arm Beaver Tail design?
Is the stock a monte carlo design?
Is the stock of a pistol grip design, or straight?
Vent Rib?

HJN
Old May 24, 1999, 11:20 AM   #3
Tallison

No mineral stripe in the wood
No checkering.
No bevertail on 4arm.
No a Monte Carlo.
Straight stock.
No vent rib.
Old May 24, 1999, 12:25 PM   #4
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

TALLISON:
There seems to be a lot of variables in your shotgun that I am unable to put together. The "Straight" Stocks I am familiar with and those listed are checkered. The cylinder bore indicates that it is a Police or Special Purpose Deer model, this is the closest configuration, as those without Rem Chokes are cyl bore. As near as I can figure, it was mfg'd in 1972. The police barrel and the Deer is the only one I can find in 18" and 20". There are too many variables that I cannot match "all" together.

Is it possible this shotgun is "pieced" from one or more guns? If not I really cannot figure it out.

HJN

[This message has been edited by Harley Nolden (edited May 24, 1999).]
Old May 24, 1999, 12:35 PM   #5
Tallison

It must be the Law Enforcement model as it is almost unused.......as I got it this weekend in an estate sale from a 80 year old man, I doubt he altered it in any way. I wonder if I called Remington if they could shed any light?
Old May 24, 1999, 02:04 PM   #6
Mal H
Staff

I can help with the date of mfg. Remington has a straightforward dating system indicated by two letters (RM on your gun). The month is indicated by the first letter from the mnemonic "BLACKPOWDERX" where B is January and X is December. The year comes from a table, and M is either 1965 or 1992. Based on your description, I would bet my money on 1992. And because it is 1992, it probably isn't a 20" police or riot gun. So, my relatively uneducated guess (based on the stock) would be that it is a standard Brushmaster.
Old May 24, 1999, 02:26 PM   #7
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

MALH:
I had considered the Brushmaster, however, the description of it in my records indicates that it comes with rifles sights and IC bore. Rem choke was standard on this shotgun in 1985.

This is what makes it so hard to identify.

HJN
Old May 24, 1999, 09:06 PM   #8
Tallison

It may not help much but I talked to the daughter tonight and she thinks it was purchased in 1992.
Old May 24, 1999, 09:27 PM   #9
Mal H
Staff

Ah, good point on the rifle sights. I'm stumped. At first, I thought it was an Express Deer gun, but I believe that only came with an imp. cyl (as did the Brushmaster, hence the 'uneducated guess'). It may still be an Express (because of the Monte Carlo stock) and the owner had it rebarreled like you originally suggested. The only thing I'm fairly sure about is the date.
Old May 25, 1999, 06:31 AM   #10
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

MAL H & TALLISON:
As Tallison has prevriously indicated the stock is not a monte carlo, but STRAIGHT. The straight stock, (not a pistol grip) put it into another catagory, such as the Remington 870 Special Field, however, this gun was issued with a 21"bbl, (discontinued in 1993) or 23"bbl, (new in 1994) vent Rib. Rem chokes became standard in 1987 (introduced in 1986 as an option)and discontinued in 1995.

I am swinging more toward the police version, with a replaced stock. In my experience with the 870 and training Fed LEO's, our 870's were plain barrels, with cyl bore and we ordered them special.

As Tallison indicated the piece was in 100% condition, and most police shotguns, street or training, are trunk guns, or are somewhat USED having fired numerous rounds during tactical training and are rarely found in 100% condition. (My experience)

As indicated it was purchased from a private source, the initial thought was not a police gun. Then again, he, the elderly gentleman, may have purchased a lucky one from a police auction.

If this is the case, the value on your shotgun is:

Blue Book of Gun Values 17th Edition:

Suggested Retail $411.00
@100%=$320.00
Add $25.00 for the straight stock

HJN

[This message has been edited by Harley Nolden (edited May 25, 1999).]
Old May 25, 1999, 11:23 AM   #11
Mal H
Staff

Darn, Harley, you got me again. I saw the term Monte Carlo in Tallison's post and it flipped the "on" bit in my brain. (Oldtimers disease?)
Old May 25, 1999, 01:01 PM   #12
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

To All:
I need HELP; Please.
Can anyone helpe with this one:
Pistol, Single Shot
Cal .22
Mfg'r Svendsen of Itasca Ill
Model LITTLE ACE.
Date of mfg, anything about the company or firearms.

HJN
Old May 26, 1999, 09:13 PM   #13
Tallison

Thanks for helping me unravel the mysteries of the world.............