The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 24, 2002, 02:25 PM   #1
rocko

PA, CCW, hunting, and semi-auto handguns

I haven't hunted in years, but am thinking about giving it another shot this season. However, I've heard that it is illegal to carry a semi-auto handgun while hunting even with a valid CCW as they presume you are hunting with it. I checked the game commission's website, but wasn't able to find anything specific about this (other than that hunting with a semi-auto is verboten in general, of course). Is this true?

Rocko
Old September 25, 2002, 08:31 AM   #2
Tom Matiska

Semi auto shotguns (plugged to three shots) are legal for small game only. Any other type of semi auto during any other season will get you in trouble. Trying to explain that you were carrying a weapon while hunting but you weren't hunting with it won't work.

One more reason to add a wheelgun to your collection.

Tom
Old September 25, 2002, 08:59 AM   #3
rocko

Thanks for the confirmation, although the whole idea that they'd assume I'd be using a .40 compact to hunt deer with while I have a .308 rifle slung on my shoulder does seem sort of silly. Using the same logic, it seems like they'd also bust you if you were carrying a semi concealed walking in the woods during any hunting season - not only for hunting with a semi, but also for hunting without a license, even if you were only taking a hike. Of course, the whole point of concealed carry is so that no one sees it...

I have relatives in Swoyersville .

Rocko
Old September 28, 2002, 07:05 PM   #4
Jamie Young

Quote:
One more reason to add a wheelgun to your collection.

That's one reason why I want a GP100 .357. I carry my Colt 1991A1 when I'm up the mountains.

I believe you cannot CCW while hunting either. I am pretty sure you have to have a holster for the handgun while hunting.

I asked about carrying a Ruger GP100 while bow hunting, and I was told it was illegal. I am not absolutely positive of this since I haven't read it anywhere, but I was told this by a friend who tends to know his stuff.

I know people that carry anyway. Seems the bow hunter have more run-ins with black bear than the bear hunters do.