The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 13, 2002, 04:49 PM   #1
ViLLain

when is it time to admit that you suck?

Been bow hunting eight mornings now and have tangled with bull elk five time. Each time due to my being nervous and inexperienced with the equipment, the bull has walked away as the victor. I'm not talking long shot either, I'm a well seasoned hunter and my average contacts are inside 30 feet.

Just this morning had a bull walk under my tree stand, somewhere about 25 feet away. I drew the bow and the arrow fell out of the nock. Elk ran off, probably laughing and saying "rookie"!

When is it time to call it quits and go back to some traditional methods. I'm so frustrated and angry right now. Don't know whether my equipment is cursed or I just was not cut out to bow hunt.
Old September 13, 2002, 05:24 PM   #2
stinger

Hey, buddy...

I have never hunted with a bow, and there is a reason for that. Technology allows me to use something a little more effective, a rifle, yeah!

I can guarantee that I would suck infinitely worse than you with a bow. I have only shot one a handful of times.

But I think that with practice I could get pretty effective with whatever, and I think you can to. Just keep working at it and eventually you will be telling us about the trophy buck that didn't get away.

Stinger
Old September 13, 2002, 06:24 PM   #3
redneck

Have a lariat? My heelin rope is 35 ft, perfect for reaching out an anchorin that bad boy to your tree. Then its just a matter of stickin em as he runs in circles.

Keep tryin
Old September 13, 2002, 06:53 PM   #4
hd51fl

Ease up on yourself. I don't know the statistics on elk, but the average bow taken deer required 14 days as opposed to 1 day for the rifle taken deer. One season I called in 11 bulls before sticking one. You have to realize that everything has to go right to end a hunt with meat in the freezer if you are sliver slingin'. No mistakes or the games up before it starts. As soon as you can ease up on yourself, the pressure drops and the success rate goes up. Relax enjoy the time hunting, because as soon as you get one the work starts. Mike
Old September 13, 2002, 08:03 PM   #5
short shot

I remember the first deer I shot at with a bow it was only about 5 yards away I was smiling as I drew( I knew she was mine),I freaked when the arrow hit the ground a couple of feet in front of her.I climbed down went home,couldn't figure out what went wrong,got home shot my bow it was good to go,then it dawned on me what the problem was I closed the eye when when I put my sights on her.I learned something that day slow down & take your time things will work better for you.Since then I've taken a spike 3pt & a doe . Good luck
Old September 13, 2002, 09:58 PM   #6
Shodan

Vil,

In spite of your bad luck, I bet these 8 days of hunting have been your most exciting and enjoyable in a while, huh?

Stick with the archery, you won't regret it. Some of the best time in the woods regardless of results.

Shodan
Old September 13, 2002, 11:12 PM   #7
DadOfThree

You answered your own question.
Quote:
Each time due to my being nervous and inexperienced with the equipment,
The only way to get over nervousness and inexperience is to try try again. Seems that you are doing a great job on all of the other aspects (and sometimes the most difficult aspects) such as finding game, getting within range, and getting a shot off. Five shots at a bull elk in eight days... wish I had that kind of bad luck.
James Madison: The Constitution preserves "the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.
Mark Douglass
Old September 13, 2002, 11:47 PM   #8
yorec

I love bowhunting elk. If they're bugling I'm happy to just talk to them sometimes.

The shot is merely the climax of the experience. So look at it this way - you get to experience the highpoint of a hunt that not too many people ever experience and fewer can understand the feelings of fully. And you get to do it over and over and over and....

You can step back and say you suck when the elk refuse to talk to you anymore and you stop trying to go find them and start staying home. But as long as you're getting out and doing what you are - just enjoy!
Old September 14, 2002, 06:42 AM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

It took 6 years of bowhunting before I tagged my first whitetail.The time wasn't wasted,I spent lots of time in beautiful places,and my gunhunt scores went way up because I paid more attention to the wind,location, camo, etc.

Keep it up, it WILL come together, and meanwhile, you'll have as much fun as you can with your clothes on...
Old September 14, 2002, 02:52 PM   #10
ViLLain

Thanks for the encouragement guys! Think that's all I really needed.

Yes. Do have to admit it is the most fun I've had in years. Excitement is somewhere between sex and staring at a head on collision. I can barely contain myself.

Hanging in there. Went out this morning, but missed my mark in the dark by about fifty yards or so. Had one bull run where I was suppose to be and less than an hour later heard (more like felt!) a stampede up slope, but never saw what was going on.

Thanks for your support. I'll keep you guys posted on what happens over the next weeks. Feeling very lucky all of a sudden.
Old September 16, 2002, 08:31 PM   #11
keano44

It took me years to gain the "experience" you got in eight days. In my way of thinking, you've had five sucessful hunts. I look at bow hunting a bit different than gun hunting; if I see a deer in range, I've already been sucessful.
Keep practicing, SIMPLIFY your equipment as much as possible, and lighten up on yourself. Realize that it takes a whole lot more self dicipline to be a bow hunter (a fact that I don't think gets enough coverage on TV and in the magazines). Finding animals/getting shots dosen't seem to be a problem for you, you will eventually score. However, if you do lack the skills, practice, confidence, and dicipline to make a clean, one shot kill, then I hope you would give up bow hunting. Not all hunters are cut out to be bow hunters. IMHO
I've seen mountains, and I've seen desserts.
I've seen the world, and thought I'd seen it all. But of all the scenes I've ever seen, I ain't never seen no scene, like the scene I'm seein now!........keano44
Old September 17, 2002, 11:20 AM   #12
ViLLain

Quote:
.....and lighten up on yourself. Realize that it takes a whole lot more self dicipline to be a bow hunter (a fact that I don't think gets enough coverage on TV and in the magazines).

Busted more cherries than what I can count, but this is ground zero all over again. Want it so bad, I can taste it. It's like being a kid again and starting over. Remember that first kill? The anxiety! The shakes! That heart beating so fast, you can barely hold still and your arms so heavy they don't want to move. It's awesome! But definitely factors in whether you can actually hit something or not.

Just hope I can get at least a few more chances now. Weather is taking a drastic change here and it is not very favorable for bow hunting.

I think a lot of guys don't bow hunt because of the way laws are written in most states. If states were to be serious about encouraging bow hunting, they would allow unused bow tags to convert to general rifle season tags. I'm sure that many more would participate if it were that way. Bow hunting is also more of a "elegant" hunt, success is an exclusivity and has an aura of elitism among non bow hunters. Your average run of the mill hunter doesn't like that. Poses a big problem in attracting newcomers to the sport.
Old September 17, 2002, 05:45 PM   #13
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Makes you wish Texas had enough elk to hunt. Here, the license and tags are for deer. How and when you collect Bambi has to do with season for bow or muzzle loader or regular rifle. It's not a case of a bow-season tag and use it or lose it.

Art
Old September 17, 2002, 06:59 PM   #14
PALongbow

I'm a very advid bowhunter and hunt solely with a longbow and wood arrows...talk about hunting the hard way, however I harvest critters on a consistant basis with my longbow. The best advise I can give a fella bowhunter is pick a spot on that elk and never look at anything else. Focus your attention on that spot all the way through the shot and think to yourself that elk isn't mine until I make my arrow contact that spot.

Bowhunting is for the most part mentally challenging and your letting your mind take over. Be confident in your equipment and shooting ability and stay focused on that spot and you will harvest animals. Bowhunting is about getting close and out smarting the animal, so limit your shot distance until you harvest a critter or two and get experience under your belt.

Now with this information I gave you and when the animal is approching....Take a deep breath or two, be confident in yourself and your equipment, Don't look at anything but that spot where the arrow will go, release.

Ron
Old September 18, 2002, 09:10 PM   #15
H&H,hunter

I actually started out as a Bow hunter. After digging trenches with arrows aimed at deer several times I came to this important conclusion. If bows and arrows were better than rifles Geronimo would have been president.

I'm just not cut out to be a bow hunter. And I have the utmost respect for you fellows who are.

I really don't know how you do it! You guys are just to cool handed. I get all fliterated when I have a bow in my hands.