The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 18, 2012, 02:00 PM   #1
Glenn E. Meyer

10/22 question

I have a 10/22 with the synthetic stock and stainless. Don't have a sling for it. I don't see sling attachment points. Missed them - duh?

Suggestions, folks. I think I want to shoot it in some carbine matches to save a buck and grins. I have the Ruger 25 round mags.

Thanks.
Old December 18, 2012, 02:17 PM   #2
jmr40

I used these.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/366...stud-115-b-set

You have to get the type with a nut to go on the forend. Drill a hole through the stock and attach the nut. I applied fingernail polish to keep the nut from working loose. You might need to shorten the screw to prevent it from touching the barrel.

The screw for the buttstock works just like a wood screw in the plastic.
Old December 18, 2012, 02:46 PM   #3
Pahoo

It can be done !!!

Glen,
Assuming you have the Carbine model, for the forend, you can get stud that fits into the band or a replacement barrel band that has an intregal bottom and side sling loops. For the buttstock, you can use as standard "screw" stud or you can use the kit that jmr40 has listed. Just make sure you use the "machine" threaded stud at the forend. ...

Recently there was a simular post in here where someone said that they had a 10/22 that could not be fitted as they had a synthetic stock. I don't claim to be an expert but do consider myself a bit handy. I have never seen a 10/22 that would not take a sling. The tough ones are the skeletonized sythetics and those can be done as well. On one sythetic buttstock, I had to install a backing block and it's still holding tight. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old December 18, 2012, 06:25 PM   #4
jmr40

Or, if you really want to do it right, just replace the factory stock with one that already has studs. I've mounted the above studs in plastic stocks in the past, but really prefer the Hogue on a 10-22. Or the Deluxe factory stock. Either fit me so much better. The straighter comb and longer LOP are much better than the factory stock. It is a bit more expensive though.

Old December 20, 2012, 01:38 AM   #5
sholling

I imagine you could just install a set of studs but I'd be a bit concerned about stock flex changing POI if you put much pressure on the sling. If you're shooting with a scope this is probably a good time to start looking at nice ridged as heck solid wood or laminated high comb aftermarket stock anyway and add swivel studs to that. Of course that's 10x the money of just adding a set of swivel studs.

One of my next projects is to add studs to this 10/22.

Last edited by sholling; December 20, 2012 at 01:47 AM.