The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 18, 2012, 08:37 AM   #1
JLK

Does Flash suppressor affect accuracy

I have noticed most Ar rifles listed as target or Varmmit guns don't have flash suppressors, How much affect do they have on accuraccy?
Old December 18, 2012, 02:29 PM   #2
JimDandy

I couldn't tell you, but the second half of your question should be "How much effect do they have on length." A pinned flash suppresor is often used to meet the minimum barrel length, rarely a concern on the target/varmint rifles with a longer barrel.
Old December 18, 2012, 03:00 PM   #3
btmj

Which is something I always thought was strange... why have a 14" barrel with a pinned 2 inch flash suppressor, when you could just have a 16" barrel, no flash suppressor, and get the velocity benefits?
Old December 18, 2012, 03:09 PM   #4
spacecoast

I put one on my AK (after removing the soldered slant brake) and it had no perceptible effect on accuracy.
Old December 18, 2012, 03:44 PM   #5
JimDandy

I imagine it's some of the same logic that gets us FOTM on magazines. FOTM = Flavor Of The Month. Something becomes in vogue, and the people making stuff will find a way to get us what's in vogue, even if it's not aways in our best interests.
Old December 18, 2012, 05:50 PM   #6
AndyWest

Quote:
Which is something I always thought was strange... why have a 14" barrel with a pinned 2 inch flash suppressor, when you could just have a 16" barrel, no flash suppressor, and get the velocity benefits?
^ What he said. Or a smallish hider.
Old December 18, 2012, 08:38 PM   #7
Auto426

As far as I know they have no appreciable effect on accuracy. They do have an appreciable effect on the flash that the shooter sees from the muzzle, which isn't really a concern when it comes to someone who's slow firing at targets during a range day.

Quote:
Because is a self defense oriented firearm, shorter barrels mean a more compact weapon that is easier to maneuver with. Shorter barrels also usually lead to a larger muzzle flash, hence the flash suppressor.
Old December 19, 2012, 07:45 PM   #8
bamaranger

loose

I can tell you that a loose one will definitely negatively effect accuracy!
Old December 19, 2012, 10:07 PM   #9
reynolds357

They can effect accuracy. Anything that disturbs muzzle gas can effect accuracy either for good or bad.
Old December 20, 2012, 11:01 AM   #10
HiBC

I hve a rifle that is ho-hum for accuracy considering the top end barrel I used.I am suspecting the closed bottom A-2 flash hider.I did bore it out to about .430 or so.

I need to remove it and try some no-pickle groups.Also,too much torque is not so good,and I have been told the thick spring washers are too much.

The wall thickness of the barrel,is,what .44minor dia on the muzzle threads,minus .224,is about .215 divided by 2=.108 approx.

Too much torque will cause some stretch/distortion at the muzzle.

Too much end gap,muzzle to flash suppressor is not good.

Carbon buildup is not good.

I'm suspecting that closed bottom may cause some odd gas action,confusing the 75 gr Hornady match bullets,we'll see.