The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 24, 2012, 07:17 PM   #1
RickE

Buffalo Bore .44 +P+ for Deer/Elk

Can anyone report back after an actual kill when using the BB 340gr +P+ out of a handgun? Any/all details appreciated.
Old September 24, 2012, 10:45 PM   #2
tahunua001

I would exorcise caution while shooting it. I've heard(but never confirmed) that buffalo bore, being designed more for rifles than handguns can cause serious issues with most revolvers, S&Ws in particulars. Ruger Black hawks are supposed to be ok with them but never heard anything about vaqueros.

standard 44 is good for deer but I would have serious doubts about it for elk unless you can poke it out your back door and shoot one in your yard.
Old October 1, 2012, 02:17 PM   #3
publius

I shoot BB's occasionally out of my S&W 629. They will not blow up your gun. The smith is not as strong as the Ruger so it will wear out much faster if heavy loads are used but a few every once in a while is no big deal. They would not sell them if they would cause a catastrophic failure. I have killed whitetail w/ the BB and it works just fine. Yea, I know, overkill for deer.
Old October 3, 2012, 04:06 AM   #4
Zorro

S&W makes Artistically Refined Guns. But they are not Ruger Strong.

BB Suicide Overloads are for Ruger Super black Hawks and Super Red Hawks Only.

They are designed to withstand a 200% overloaded cartridge.

S&W has slicker revolvers but they are NOT designed for anything more than factory Loads.
Old October 3, 2012, 05:40 AM   #5
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
BB Suicide Overloads are for Ruger Super black Hawks and Super Red Hawks Only.
Is the fine Redhawk standard not including in that list? (typed with hopeful anticipation)
Old October 3, 2012, 09:34 AM   #6
Edward429451

Redhawks are on the list. Wont be fun to shoot with those loads but wont hurt it.
Old October 3, 2012, 10:53 AM   #7
jmortimer

The Buffalo Bore +P+ .44 mag is some crazy insane power. Since a "regular" Buffalo Bore .44 mag will easily take an Elk, or anything else for that matter, it will work for sure. With a hard cast bullet and a large meplat, you are going to shoot through the Elk on a broadside and probably will go from stem to stern. Like Elmer Keith said, you want two holes.
Old October 3, 2012, 01:20 PM   #8
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
Redhawks are on the list.
When I read that my love of the Redhawk took a big step toward plain old "worship".
Old October 3, 2012, 11:08 PM   #9
feets

You don't need +P+ to get the job done. All you'll do is beat your S&W and yourself mercilessly.
Keep it to short handgun range and you'll be fine with a more sensible load. Be prepared to pass up the trophy bull because he was too far for a reasonable handgun shot.

As for the guns that will sustain that kind of load, you're looking at the full size Blackhawk/Vaquero (NOT the SAA size New Model Vaquero), Redhawk, Super Redhawk, Freedom Arms revolvers, and the Contender/Encore platforms.

As for the Super Blackhawk mentioned above, it's fine too. After all, it's nothing more than a Blackhawk with a larger grip frame. The actual gun frame is the same as the non-Super Blackhawk.
Old October 4, 2012, 12:40 AM   #10
Pond, James Pond

So a number of members have reported back saying that +P+ is excessive or unwarranted. The OP also mentioned a 340gr bullet.

Is that also overkill? What would be the minimum or ideal weight to get the job done? (if this is not straying from the initial question too much )
Old October 4, 2012, 08:45 AM   #11
Edward429451

In my opinion, yes. I think 300 gr bullet is plenty excessive enough for a 44 Mag. I have a load that drives a 300 gr boolit to 1401 fps and shooting it shows me that I really don't need it, or at least at 1400. The 245 gr bullet will do alot more than people give it credit for. At times I thnk even the 300s are in all practicality, unneeded. Just a little added insurance.

YMMV, but I doubt it.
Old October 4, 2012, 08:13 PM   #12
feets

Yes, that bullet weight is excessive. If you can punch a 240 grain bullet through something what difference will it make if you make the bullet longer with more weight?