The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old April 17, 1999, 06:15 PM   #1
thaddeus

I have never seen how people time their shot sequences and don't know the first thing beyond a buddy with a stopwatch.
What is an accurate way (more accurate than someone with a stopwatch and possibly slow reflexes) to time my groups?
Where do I get a shot-timer (I think that is what I want) and how much should I expect to spend?

I want to get serious about timing myself, but don't know how.
Do they have timers that time from your draw to the last shot? Or do they just time your shot sequence from the first round to the last? How dot hey work? Will they work at a busy range? (probably not)

thanks,
thaddeus
Old April 17, 1999, 09:24 PM   #2
Mikey

thaddeus,

My personal choice is the Pact Club Timer. You can get one thru Dillon's, Denney's Shooter's Supply or your local dealer. I paid about $125 for mine.

The timer works by recording the time for each shot fired to the nearest 100th of a second. The concussion of the muzzle blast triggers the timer. They come with instructions but you really should join a club near you. You can save a lot of time and money that way.

Mikey
Old April 17, 1999, 10:09 PM   #3
HS

thaddeus, a few timers have a 3 sec. contdown & a beltclip. To start shooting have the timer on your belt/strongside - push the start button & be ready to rock !

Features also incude a display for previous shots, so yo can go through a few mags & then go back & reveiw your times.

For a quick look, go to a newsagent & browse the gun mags...

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"

Old April 18, 1999, 08:01 AM   #4
STEVE M

Expect to pay between $100-$200. Most are adjustable for sound level (use indoors or out). Check Dillons and the magazines for ads. They all have different features but work the same way.
Old April 18, 1999, 08:33 AM   #5
motorep

Go with Pact. I bought 4 Club Timers for our club about 10 years ago, when they first came out, one more about 7 years ago. To date one has been back to them with a broken wire- not their fault- and I had it back for the next match. I also bought one of their new ones for myself. Good product, good company.
Old April 19, 1999, 07:11 PM   #6
cmac65

Where would be your opinion on buying and getting the best deal on a Pact timer?

Old April 19, 1999, 10:50 PM   #7
Tony N
Staff Alumnus

Got my PACT through Midway.
Good price and they pay the shipping.