The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 28, 2014, 03:39 PM   #1
DennisCA

A Couple of Mounts: thought I would share

The other day I was cleaning my spare room and decided to move a couple of mounts of deer I shot while I was in SE AZ a few years ago:

Rifle: Winchester Model 70 in .270 W/3X9 Burris Scope
Both have interesting stories that I would like to share with you:
(If you don't mind)
The deer on the right was at about 50 yards - I was walking up this trail (to glass a valley) and this deer was behind a tree looking at me. The only shot I had was at his neck and I took it - dropped him in his tracks - stone cold dead!
Plus after the shot a spike buck (which was but didn't notice) took a a couple of small jumps - in the wide open about 20-25 yards from me. Unfortunately I only one tag with me, so I decided to make him a bit smart;
I picked up a branch threw it at him, I didn't hit him but it def spooked him and he took off. The bad part was I was by myself and had to drag him, plus load him into my veh w/o help!
The other deer (on the left) was shot at 325 yards (my hunting buddy had a range finder). It was so cold that morning we didn't leave the house until
7:30,by 8:30 this deer was down. We just got seattled on a ridge when we noticed this buck chasing does. I doubt he noticed anything but the does. I got a good rest and took the shot, again he went straight down!
The bad part he was shot in a steep-steep caynon (after the shot he slid most of the way down) and getting him up to top was real tough. It didn't help matters that the groud was covered with small loose rocks.

Sorry for a bit long-winded; hope you enjoyed the story

Last edited by DennisCA; February 28, 2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old February 28, 2014, 04:51 PM   #2
redrick

Nice bucks .

I shot one this past year hunting by myself during muzzleloader season . I gutted him and still had to call my nephew to help me drag it out . Latter that week I bought a game cart . I have not used it yet and in some places I hunt it will not work , but it would have saved the day with that last one I shot .
Old February 28, 2014, 04:55 PM   #3
45YearsShooting

That's a good idea for a gun rack. Two mounted bucks for every gun.
Old February 28, 2014, 07:01 PM   #4
huntinaz

Nice coues bucks!

My coues mount is due finished any time now. Can't wait.
Old March 3, 2014, 04:59 PM   #5
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Nice handsome looking deer mounts. Enjoyed their stories too. Pictures of some other's luck are always pleasing to see.