The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 3, 2010, 11:10 AM   #1
roy reali

Eureka!!!

I just returned from our doughnut shop. I met this guy that owns an alfalfa ranch nearby. He was complaining about ground squirrels doing a number on his property. I introduced myself and offered to help rid him of his vermin problem with some judicial use of high-speed lead poison. He gave me the green light.

Now, to decide which gun to use.

Do I go rimfire or centerfire? Decisions, decisions!
Old April 3, 2010, 11:19 AM   #2
Pahoo

Rimfire, for sure !!

Rimfire, for sure !!
I know how much fun you will have !! ....

Be Safe !!!
Old April 3, 2010, 11:20 AM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

First off.... Congrats on landing the new gig! See, folks, how easy a little outward personality and the willingness to open conversation with a stranger can lead to hunting rights!!! NO MO' WHINING ABOUT GETTING PERMISSION!
Quote:
Now, to decide which gun to use.

Do I go rimfire or centerfire? Decisions, decisions!
Both! .22LR for close in, .22WMR for moderate range and small bore c-fire for the "yonders"!
Brent
Old April 3, 2010, 11:47 AM   #4
Scorch

Quote:
Both! .22LR for close in, .22WMR for moderate range and small bore c-fire for the "yonders"!
hogdog's suggestion is right on. I used to set up in a pasture, start out with the 22LR, then switch to 22-250 as they got wise and the shots got longer. After a while, if they lay low for a while, you can start out with the 22LR again. I have shot up a whole brick of 22s in one day shooting ground squirrels. Nothing like a couple hundred dead squirrels to make a rancher smile!
Old April 3, 2010, 07:39 PM   #5
camper4lyfe

I love my .22-250 for woodchucks.
Old April 4, 2010, 01:15 AM   #6
FrankenMauser

Yes, the "graduated firepower" method works best.

Start with the low power, close range weapons. As the vermin begin attempting to outflank you, at longer distances, pull out the bigger weapons. Lather, Rinse, Repeat; until you are maxed out. At that time... make a sandwich, take a break, to enjoy the Spring weather, and watch the squirrels come running to the scent of lunch.

When they are properly de-spooked; return to the battle.

Or...

Start out at long range (if the problem is fairly localized), and hone your skills with challenging shots. (I enjoy the 'Red Mist' happy ending with my .220 Swift, but even .22 LR or .22 WMR can be put to use for appropriate, longer shots.)
Old April 4, 2010, 07:08 AM   #7
roy reali

Nonvarmint cartridges?

Has anyone here ever shot varmints with rounds that are not typically associated with varmint hunting? I have several older rifles I might try. It would add some "fun" factor to the shooting.

I also want to apologize to any reader here that finds this thread offensive.
Old April 4, 2010, 07:52 AM   #8
camper4lyfe

Quote:
Has anyone here ever shot varmints with rounds that are not typically associated with varmint hunting? I have several older rifles I might try. It would add some "fun" factor to the shooting.
I shot 1 or 2 woodchucks with a 20ga with #8 shot. Managed to sneak up on them pretty good.
Old April 4, 2010, 02:23 PM   #9
FrankenMauser

Quote:

Oh, but, of course. My family has used a huge variety of cartridges and firearms. Some days, we'll even set rules of engagement.

Sometimes, we'll require mil-surps only; or pistols only; or only cartridges based on the 7x57 Mauser case (including all of the -06 and .308 based cartridges).

Some of the more interesting days were the "pistol", "iron sight", or "big bore" shoots.

With pistols, we often set a "single load, only" rule - if the action gets too fast paced. So, it is much more difficult to walk the fire into the target; since you have to take your eyes off the target to slide the next round into the chamber.

The "big bore" shoots mean each shooter brings the largest bore size rifle in their possession. It usually means the small end of the spectrum is .270 Win, and the large end is .375 H&H, .416 Rigby, or .458 Win (or slugs in a 20 or 12ga shotgun). It may sound like a really punishing day, but whacking a few squirrels or prairie dogs with those big bores can be amazing fun.

I've used several muzzle loaders (all .54 Cal I think), .22 LR, .22 WMR, .22 Hornet, .223 Rem, .220 Swift, .243 Win, .270 Win, 7mm Rem Mag, 7.62x39, 7.62x54R, 7.7x58 Arisaka, .30-06, .300 Win Mag, .300 H&H, 8x57 Mauser, .338 Win Mag, .358 Win, .375 H&H, .416 Rigby, .458 Win, .410 bore, 20 ga, and 12 ga. (I'm missing a few cartridges...)
Old April 4, 2010, 10:05 PM   #10
Dave R

Ground squills around here get spooked after the first few close in. So rimfire for the fist few, then either centerfire (.223 or .17 centerfire,) or, if you're looking for an excuse to get a new rifle, .17HMR would be PERFECT both closer in and out a ways.
Old April 4, 2010, 10:58 PM   #11
treg

I have a cousin with the same problem.

His place is on the way home from work.
Old April 5, 2010, 01:07 AM   #12
Scorch

Quote:
Has anyone here ever shot varmints with rounds that are not typically associated with varmint hunting?
You mean like 45 ACP? 7X57? 30-06? 9X57? 375 H&H? 11X60mmR? The list goes on and on. We used to make a regular rule about what cartridges we would bring. We would have big bore shoots where the smallest allowed would be 338. Then small bore, where the largest allowed was 25 caliber. Then rimfire, then BP cartridges, and so on. Pretty soon, you have seen everyone's exotic safe queens, like one guy who used to show up at big bore shoots with a 450 NE double rifle.
Old April 5, 2010, 05:59 AM   #13
roy reali

re:scorch

Quote:
shoots with a 450 NE double rifle.
That would take care of the overly aggressive rodents!
Old April 5, 2010, 11:05 AM   #14
Scorch

Quote:
That would take care of the overly aggressive rodents!
Yeah, he used to call it his "stopping rifle", just in case he got charged by a frenzied beast.
Old April 5, 2010, 11:46 AM   #15
HiBC

Great opportunity!!!!Treat it as a treasure,maybe help at roundup or fence fixing.Who knows? Bigger critters are an alfalfa factor!!!