The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 26, 2002, 11:38 PM   #1
ThePatriot29

Real life scenario-- Advice wanted

Hi,
I attend a small, conservative college (I'm a guy, athletic but not really built). Lately there's been a "peeping tom" from the local area who hangs around the girl's dorms with a video camera and [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] like that. The school has taken the security measure of leaving the girl's dorms' front doors locked all the time, and requiring that to be allowed in, a guy has to arrange it with one of the girls so that strangers from the community can't just stroll in. If I see this guy around, I'd like to confront him with a few friends, tell him to get lost, etc. What are the legal and tactical implication of telling someone like that to take a hike? I don't want to pick a fight, but I'd love to tell this pervert to leave. I know part of this was covered from the girl's perspective in the peeping tom shower thread a while back, but as my situation is a little different, what would all you older and wiser sages advise?
ThePatriot29
Old August 27, 2002, 12:27 AM   #2
GhostShooter

If you just tell him to get lost nothing, but consider this. What happens when he tells you to go pound salt and that he's not leaving. He hasn't yet committed a crime (as far as you know) and if at this point you and your friends jump him you could be in a world of trouble (read lawsuit). Also, what if he is armed (I assume you're not since you're on campus). More friends just gives him more targets. While I agree in spirit with what you're planning on doing I think a better idea would just be to keep an eye out and if you see anything report it to the cops (or your college's rent-a-cop depending you your situation).

P.S.
I'm probably neither older or wiser. These are just a few things that came to my mind. Just my $.02

Old August 27, 2002, 01:38 AM   #3
SamH

As GhostShooter says, if you see that bastard hanging around, call the security (surely you have security guards). That would be the most legally appropriate way to dispose of him.

By confronting him (even with friends), you are leaving yourself open to retaliation (either physically or legally). He might just be a visitor taking a look around, or he might be a potential criminal; it's pretty hard to tell most of the time.

Take care.
Old August 27, 2002, 08:26 AM   #4
igor

My two euro cents worth: do keep the useless retaliation spirit in check. The certain way to do good is to keep an eye out and have the proper authorities do the confrontation stuff.

Especially, if the pervert does have a camera, you'll be able to see to that he'll be carrying evidence on him when apprehended.
Good karateka I have known were intelligent, original, capable, unpredictable, aggressive, brave, and dangerous. Most had a dark side. Daily practice for decades at hurting other people does not make liberals.

John Farnam quoting a friend, Feb. 2004
Old August 27, 2002, 11:55 AM   #5
CWL

If you know who he is, then more than likely the police/security know him as well. Leave it to the proper authorities.

If you don't really know who the guy is and go confront somebody, you may have just created a situation with somebody who have every reason to be there (boyfriend, student, brother, whatever).

Seems also that you will be noticed as someone who is himself hanging around the women's dorms a little too much.
Old August 27, 2002, 12:39 PM   #6
Correia

I would offer the same advice as those above BUT...

When I was dating my wife-to-be this was occuring in her apartment complex. (All college students).

She spotted a guy peeping in her window, it was obvious what he was doing, as he was going along the back of the complex looking for open windows. He fit the description of the peeper that other girls had seen.

At that moment I arrived at the front door, she told me what was going on. With out thinking about it, I immediatly took off after him.

Luckily for him he got away.

When it happened I didn't give any thought to the legality of the matter. I just decided that a dirtbag was threatening my fiance. If I had caught him I probably would have just beaten him into a bloody pulp. I probably would have just left him there too.

Like I said, I can't really offer good legal advice, because when it happened to me, I violated the good advice with out thinking.

Keep in mind that most rapists start out peeping first. In a perfect world we would get a plaque from the city for beating down peeping toms, instead we would get arrested and sued. Go figure.
Old August 27, 2002, 01:18 PM   #7
ThePatriot29

Thanks. I knew that was the best plan, but if I saw him around, I'd tell him to get lost. I wasn't planning on staking out the girls dorms, or chasing this guy down. Thanks for the advice.
Old August 27, 2002, 01:49 PM   #8
gryphon

Good advice from all those who posted before me. The only thing that I would add:

IF IT WERE ME

I would be a good witness, get as much information as possible, as long as the peeper just stayed a peeper. The minute he tries to do any physical harm to anyone, then might be the time to go into action. You still take the chance of getting into some legal hassles.

On that same note, make sure it isn't some guy sneaking into the bedroom of his girlfriends dorm.

Happy hunting!
Old August 27, 2002, 02:43 PM   #9
ThePatriot29

Yeah, it's something the administration is aware of, and they've begun taking measures to stop this guy, mainly locking the front doors of the girls dorms 24 7. It's not a case of misunderstanding of the facts, I know that much. I just would like to know my legal options is anything develops.