The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 4, 2009, 05:51 PM   #26
jgcoastie

For halibut I use my 10mm... 155gr LRN over 9.3gr of Power Pistol does the job well enough on the "little" 150 pounders up here...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old November 5, 2009, 07:46 AM   #27
wyobohunter

I never did like the idea of wrestling a big fish (or gator... to stay on topic) into the boat with a semi-auto pistol in my or my friends hand. I feel that the bang stick or single shot rifle/shotgun is the safest. To each his own though.
Old November 5, 2009, 10:02 AM   #28
SCcdp

The gators are restrained next to the boat via tail and head ropes and typical using a choke rod similar to what animal control uses. At no point in time is an unrestrained gator "wrestled" into the boat. Regulations state that the gator must be subdued before being dispatched.
Old November 5, 2009, 12:09 PM   #29
wyobohunter

Big Butts are usually shot before hauling them in too. But it's still a wrestling match to get them in and they can "come back to life" if the brain was missed. I was just sayin' I don't like the idea of a semi auto gun for this type of thing. Too much going on, a short muzzle that is harder to keep pointed away from others (or the boat) and a loaded chamber all during the excitement of taking a large animal than can seriously injure you.

The guy I've been going with uses a 38 special bangstick. When I get my own Butt boat I'll prolly get one of these http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/d...item=sb1%2D41n

It can dispatch big fish and be a stuck on some remote beach survival tool.

Last edited by wyobohunter; November 5, 2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old November 5, 2009, 12:57 PM   #30
SCcdp

As stated in my previous post the great equalizer is the old sharpened bush axe. We've never brought one into the boat that didnt have his spine severed...those WON'T come back to life ever!