The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 1, 2014, 04:02 AM   #1
NavyVet1959

Arsenal?

I was watching an episode of this TV show "Resurrection" tonight and there is this scene where one of the guys takes his friend the sheriff into his gun room / safe and upon seeing all the firearms on the walls, the sheriff asks him jokingly if he was planning to start a militia. So, I paused it and decided to count just to see what Hollywood thinks constitutes a major weapon "arsenal". Seems that there were a few sheathed knives hanging on the walls taking up space, making it look like there was more there than it really was. I only counted around 20 or so firearm on the walls. Seemed kind of wasteful for the size of the room. I've got 35 or so firearms in just my safe which is quite a bit smaller than that room and I don't really consider it that large of a collection -- well at least by Texas standards.

Yeah, I know it's not that great of a show, but I was kind of hoping that it might have some type of plot twist and turn interesting. After 8 or so episodes, it's still a waste of time.
When you fill out your income tax forms at the end of the year, look and see how much money you have given the government throughout the year. Then, take a moment to ponder -- has the government done $X worth of stuff FOR you or TO you this year? I tend to believe the latter...
https://sites.google.com/site/navyvet1959
Old May 1, 2014, 08:38 AM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

In the media today, the plural of "gun" is "arsenal."
Old May 1, 2014, 08:44 AM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
That's pretty much true.

Besides, it makes a good TV show line.
Old May 1, 2014, 08:52 AM   #4
Gbnk82

I own only 8 guns currently but I am still young (only 24)and had a few of my first rifles stolen when I was younger and I don't consider that a lot at all.my uncle who is in his 60's is also a serious collector and has over 70 firearms for his age and how long he has been collecting I don't see that as a lot either but that is just me..The media and government try to brainwash everyone into thinking that more than 1 or two guns is an arsenal,and lord knows they will call you a terrorist if you have more than a handful of ammo at 1 given time..I know I heard a news report a while ago saying anyone with more than 200 total rounds of ammo at any given time is up to no good and they refered to them as domestic terrorists..I was simply baffled I mean I have more than 5000 rounds of ammo in total right now for my 8 firearms and close to half of that is 22lr.and I honestly don't believe that is anywhere near a lot for how much I shoot and would probably be considered far below minimal stock for anyone who is a daily or bi-daily shooter.you can easily burn thru 1500 rounds on 1 trip to the range with a friend I know I have burned thru more that in 1 day with just my wife and sister helping shoot..but these are things that the gun hating politicians and media do not take into consideration.
Old May 1, 2014, 08:56 AM   #5
DaleA

The trailers for the show Resurrection creeped me out enough that I decided to pass on it until somebody I trusted told me it was worth watching. So far nobody has.

Yeah, the term 'arsenal' is pretty fluid. I'm guessing about 90% of TFL members would be stated to have an 'arsenal' in their homes should they ever be spotlighted by the media for anything. Here's some other terms that fly around loosely:

arsenal-you already mentioned it
stockpile of ammunition-goes along with your arsenal. More than two full boxes of ammunition...any size box.
assault weapon-sheesh-any evil black rifle
sniper rifle-any rifle with a scope
high powered rifle-any rifle higher than .22...oh heck just ANY rifle
AK-47-see link to firearms identification chart. It's pretty well known and famous.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...urnalists.html
Old May 1, 2014, 08:58 AM   #6
SPEMack618

Tam said it best on her blog a while ago that she hoped if she was ever raided and her guns drug out on the white sheet in her yard, that gunnies across the country would see it on tv and say "Well, I guess that is an arsenal"

In all seriousness, Aguila is correct. More than 1 gun and ten rounds is an arsenal and ammo stockpile. Which obviously means you are a militia man prepping for the zombies.

It serves as a stark reminder that to the main stream media is still very fearful of lawful firearms ownership and will go to great strides to paint us as the gun culture in a negative light.
Old May 1, 2014, 09:28 AM   #7
Gbnk82

image.jpgArsenal?????

No I'd just call this well organized

Last edited by Gbnk82; May 1, 2014 at 09:34 AM.
Old May 1, 2014, 12:08 PM   #8
JWT

Anyone with more than three firearms and 6 boxes of ammo certainly has an arsenal in todays press. Likely applies to a large percentage of those who are on this site regularly.
Old May 1, 2014, 12:44 PM   #9
JimDandy

And just TRY explaining to people that ammo doesn't spoil like food, so buying a case during the 4th of July sale isn't prepping for anything but a year between really good prices.
Old May 1, 2014, 05:28 PM   #10
NavyVet1959

I would hate to see what the news media would call my reloading supplies. My 100 or so pounds of powder would become "Over 100 pounds of high explosives" probably.
When you fill out your income tax forms at the end of the year, look and see how much money you have given the government throughout the year. Then, take a moment to ponder -- has the government done $X worth of stuff FOR you or TO you this year? I tend to believe the latter...
Old May 1, 2014, 06:06 PM   #11
s3779m

DaleA, your definitions nailed it. Hope you don't mind if I use them.
Old May 1, 2014, 06:30 PM   #12
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Well said Sir. I'm going to steal that by the way.
Old May 1, 2014, 06:48 PM   #13
Dfariswheel

To be technical, most people get it totally wrong.

An Arsenal is a place where firearms and munitions are manufactured.

An Armory is where arms are stored.

That's why we have National Guard Armories, not National Guard Arsenals.
Old May 1, 2014, 06:55 PM   #14
NavyVet1959

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfariswheel
To be technical, most people get it totally wrong.

An Arsenal is a place where firearms and munitions are manufactured.

An Armory is where arms are stored.

That's why we have National Guard Armories, not National Guard Arsenals.
So, since I load my own ammo, it means I *do* have an "arsenal"?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/arsenal
Old May 1, 2014, 07:26 PM   #15

Arsenal: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/arsenal
Old May 1, 2014, 07:40 PM   #16
Pahoo

Life is not fair but still pretty darn good !!!

My Brother-in-law is a jeweler and collects diamond; ..It's called an investment.
My Sister collects Isabel-blooms; .............................It's called a collection.
A buddy of mine collects and restores automobiles; ... It's called a hobby.

I own more that eight guns and they all refer to it as;.. .... An Arsenal ....

Be Safe !!!
Old May 1, 2014, 09:45 PM   #17
chris in va

My girlfriend's 20-something daughter drags in a boyfriend from time to time for a meet-n-greet. One was an LEO candidate, and when I showed him my meagre collection consisting of three handguns and four long guns, he exclaimed "what an arsenal!".

Please.
Old May 1, 2014, 10:24 PM   #18
NavyVet1959

I'm of the opinion that if you don't need at least multiple trips with a forklift to move your firearms, it really shouldn't be called an "arsenal".
Old May 2, 2014, 03:17 AM   #19
DaleA

Quote:
DaleA, your definitions nailed it. Hope you don't mind if I use them.
Fine with me...I'd like to claim they're original but they're not, I think almost all have been used right here on the TFL in the past so they're in the 'public domain'.
Old May 3, 2014, 03:44 PM   #20
Buzzcook

There are plenty of threads here where members refer to their collection of firearms as an arsenal. iirc some used it for any accumulation of firearms.
Old May 3, 2014, 10:15 PM   #21
Slopemeno

Pretty much a pellet gun and a map will do it....
Old May 3, 2014, 10:27 PM   #22
armoredman

NavyVet1959, reloading doesn't make it an arsenal in the media, that means you are a dangerous killer manufacturing your own messengers of death and hatred, a sick and twisted evil creature chortling away in your basement bunker over visions of rivers of blood dancing in your warped mind.

...or something like that.
Old May 4, 2014, 06:10 PM   #23
bbqbob51

Arsenal? I have a G.O.G., Group of Guns....aka F.O.F., Flock of Firearms.
Old May 4, 2014, 08:50 PM   #24
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqbob51
I have a G.O.G., Group of Guns....aka F.O.F., Flock of Firearms.
If it's a flock of firearms, shouldn't it be a gaggle of guns?

Perhaps a pod of pistols?

(Yeah, just shoot me. I wasn't invited to do the stand-up bit at the White House Correspondents' Dinner so I have to sneak it in where I can.)
Old May 5, 2014, 12:14 AM   #25
SHE3PDOG

My friends often refer to my collection as a small armory, but I see it as a relatively modest milsurp collection with a few defensive firearms thrown in at best. That's about 20 guns. I KNOW some of you guys have me beat by triple or quadruple that or more. I'll catch up one day. The benefits of being young. :P

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms