The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 23, 2008, 09:21 PM   #76
TripIII

I carry the biggest most accurate gun I can fit IWB...that I like to shoot at the range, that is reliable, and that I feel comfortable affording. Don't see a need to carry a $3k pistol...but that would be cool too. But I'd also rather wear a Rolex than a Tag. It's called marketing. Thank God for a free market. Thank God we live in a country that we have such dilemas.

I vote for freedom.
Old September 24, 2008, 10:23 AM   #77
mkg

This took place within blocks of my home . My mother had "JUST" left the Publix where this happened . While not the usual PD it does happen and it only takes once.

http://www.local6.com/news/12899083/...0428&qs=1;bp=t

Mike
Old September 24, 2008, 02:26 PM   #78
Keltyke

The average human can run 10 m/h. If you can draw, aim and fire in 2 seconds, the BG must be at least 28 feet away (2 car lengths) for you to execute the maneuver.

So, long range practice is a good thing.
Old September 24, 2008, 06:07 PM   #79
Sarge

I'm a vocal advocate of wringing all the precision you can get, without sacrificing reliability, from your defensive/duty piece; but that 'charging suspect' gets into speed-rock distance pretty fast. It is a good example of why you need both skillsets, and the ability to decide which is applicable upon first recognition of the threat.
Old September 27, 2008, 01:13 AM   #80
.300H&H

Close & Personal vs. Far and Impersonal...

Just because you're good at tennis doesn't mean you'll win the ping pong match. Just because you're a ping pong champion doesn't mean you're ready for the big tennis game. Different rules and Different Tactics. Some folks do silly things like train with mouseguns for 25yds. and 1911's for 3ft.away.
You don't bring a Ping Pong Paddle to a Tennis Court, and you don't bring a
Tennis Racquet to a Ping Pong Table.
Old September 28, 2008, 02:22 PM   #81
Keltyke

Quote:
Some folks do silly things like train with mouseguns for 25yds. and 1911's for 3ft.away.
So you should carry two guns? One for long distance and one for close up? At what distance do you decide to switch from one to the other? So, if an attacker jumps you from 4 feet away, and all you got is a full size 1911, you can't shoot him? If someone runs at you from 50 feet away and all got got is a Keltec P-32, you have to wait until he's on top of you? I think not.

You simply train to hit what you aim at with whatever you've decided to carry from whatever distance you think you may need to fire.
Old October 11, 2008, 01:20 PM   #82
GeraldG

Combat Shooting Practice Long Range vs Short Range

In most situations, I have to quote my Dad. He pounded this into my head every chance he got. The quote is "He who thinks fastest laughs last". It was probably not an original quote, but at the time and through the years, it has served me well. A gun is a tool. The weapon is the person who uses the tool. As the Gunny told me, "There are no dangerous weapons, there are only dangerous men". Keep practicing with whatever you have. I do.