The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 5, 2006, 09:01 PM   #1
OneInTheChamber

Need help on which equipment to buy.

Hey guys, I need some help on which powder measure device I should get for a Lee turret press. I want one that will mount on top (is that possible) so that the powder will fall directly into the shell.

Also, I know I'll need a case tumbler. Which tumbler is going to be the less $$$ but still have some quality.

Also, I know this sounds really dumb; but could I use the tumbler to also clean my spent shotgun hulls before they are reloaded???

Thanks!
Old March 5, 2006, 10:24 PM   #2
rwilson452

which ?

Before I wou;d suggest a powder measure I would need to know what your reloading. it makes a difference.

I have not owned a lot of tumblers. that said, haven' heard many complaints on any of them. I suppose size would be of more of an issue.

tumble Shotgun hulls? I never did they wold wear out before they got dirty enough to worry about.
Old March 5, 2006, 10:48 PM   #3
shooter429

My favorites

I have never used a lee measure, so I'll pass on that.

The best tumbler and everything else I have ever had is my Dillon

http://dillonprecision.com/template/...6&min=0&dyn=1&

I have also used and appreciated RCBS and Hornady.

These are the ones I use.

Anyhew,
I got the tumbler and a media kit with the Rapid polish, media and separator.

I ride her hard and put'er away wet. I treat her like a machine and she just keeps cummin back for mo'. I have put in brass I thought would never look right and it comes out looking like a new penny. LOVE IT@!

My .2

Shooter429
Old March 7, 2006, 01:58 PM   #4
atomictaco

For the powder measure go with the Lee Pro AutoDisk. If you are using the new Lee priming system you will also need the "riser" that allows the charger to sit higher up. I would also reccomend getting the adjustable charge bar, it allows you to adjust the volume with a twist of the screw. Depending on what you are reloading you may also want to get the Double disk Kit. I would check out Lee's website, they have the instructions postred there for all of these components so you can see what the minimum and maximum capacities are of each.

For the tumbler I would go with the Frankford Arsenal from Midway. I have it and a Lyman and the Frankford does just as good of a job for less money. I have had my Frankford for 2 years with no problems and to me that says a lot since I tend to let it run for 24+ hours at a time.
Old March 7, 2006, 02:17 PM   #5
Leftoverdj

Yeah, the Pro AutoDisk is a good choice. It's a vast improvement over the original model.

Lyman makes an adapter kit that expands most pistol cartridges and mounts a powder measure on top. I use that with my RCBS Uniflow, but it surely must work with Lyman measures.
Old March 8, 2006, 10:19 AM   #6
Russ5924

If you go with the Lee Powder drop you are going to need the Lee powder die also,do you have lee dies now or another brand. Cabalas SELLS A nice kit with all the goodies,you get the Tumbler,cleaning media,polish and a separator I think for under $70.I bought one about 5 years ago figuring it would last a short time then would replace with a better one.To my surprise after 10 of thousands of rounds being cleaned is still going strong
Old March 8, 2006, 11:38 AM   #7
jsflagstad

Yep

+ one on the Lee Pro Autodisk, and +one on the Frankfurt Arsenal tumbler from Midway. They are 2 of the best valued products I have seen.

JSF
Old March 9, 2006, 03:54 PM   #8
RERICK

I can't speak about a powder measure since I don't use one but I can about a tumbler.I picked up a Frankford arsenal about a year ago and it works very well and it has never failed me yet.I think is a fairy quiet unit when it is running.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=668307