The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 2, 2005, 04:47 PM   #1
NFACurious

FN 5.7 legality and a threaded bbls

Sorry i posted two questions in one thread, but i'm just trying to keep the clutter down.

How is the 5.7 legal? Isn't the pourpose of the ammo itself fall under the Armor piercing thing? I'm confused.

What kind of loops do i have to go through to get my bbl threaded for a silencer or muzzle break or anything of the sort. Do i have to get a registered gunsmith to do it? Or someone with a class II license? Or since i have a machinist friend can he do it? And as always. Thanks.
Old February 2, 2005, 05:39 PM   #2
shaggy

The 5.7 round (and actually any ammunition) is determined to be armor piercing based upon its composition. I don't have the federal statute in front of me now, but IIRC if the bullet is consrtucted with more than a certain percentage of copper, steel, nickel, etc. it is considered to be armor piercing.

As far as getting your barrel threaded, you can have anyone do it. There are no longer any federal restrictions, but be sure to check into any applicable state laws that may preclude it.