The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 25, 2013, 05:34 PM   #1
ropadop

Advice request for CCW with family/kids

I have recently started carrying my G19 iwb instead of a fanny pack. If I drive for any prolonged period of time with my G19 in my iwb holster, my right kidney starts to protest mightily. When I am with the family and kids, I don't want to take the pistol out of the holster since my kids don't know I am carrying. Any suggestions?
Old September 25, 2013, 05:43 PM   #2
jimbob86

Find a more comfortable gun and/or holster. A Glock 19 IWB sounds pretty uncomfortable ......

I find Glocks too blocky ...... I'm sure they'd poke me, too.

I Carry an EMP in a Bianchi 100.
Old September 25, 2013, 05:50 PM   #3
m&p45acp10+1

I went to pocket carry with a small gun for the times when IWB will not work for me.
Old September 25, 2013, 05:56 PM   #4
allaroundhunter

What holster are you carrying that G19 IWB in?
Old September 25, 2013, 07:47 PM   #5
ClydeFrog

What Id do...

I'd start by explaining to my kids & family members that Im carrying.
Im not sure why you want to keep that topic private but Id carry the Glock 19 in a crossdraw or maybe a shoulder-holster.
You can buy a Blackhawk SERPA & get it converted from a straight or a angled carry(for crossdraw).
There are a # of decent OWB or strongside holsters on the US market for compact Glocks. Depending on your choices or budget, you can get horsehide, shark, bull, rhino, etc.
For good shoulder holsters, see; Galco Miami Classic II, Aker Comfort Flex, Kirkpatrick Leather, Ted Blocker Lifeline(used on NBC's Miami Vice & Fox's Bones), Lawman Leathergoods STU holster.

ClydeFrog
www.usgalco.com www.lawmanleathergoods.com www.miltsparks.com www.blackhawk.com www.tedblockerholsters.com www.donhume.com www.wrightleatherworks.com www.mitchrosen.com www.kirkpatickleather.com www.safariland.com www.highnoonholsters.com
Old September 25, 2013, 07:58 PM   #6
tony pasley

What ages are the kids? Older kids you can explain that you carry but it is a private thing no to be discussed outside of the home. After that you can get some other type of carry system for long travel,
Old September 25, 2013, 07:59 PM   #7
X_shooter

On behalf of all concealed carriers, thanks for dropping the fanny pack. I am in the same position with kids and others that dont know I carry. I have tried several holsters and several guns for that invisible feel. I find that ride height makes a difference as well as cant. I have started making my own IWB kydex where I can adjust those parameters for this very reason.

I find that 9:00 carry or 3:00 for you righties rides better in an extended seating position. I have tried pancreas carry or appendix for you righties if it rides high enough to not poke the privates works too. Pocket carry is always your option. I find this offers the most worry free carry for me.
Old September 25, 2013, 08:16 PM   #8
WyMark

Quote:
I'd start by explaining to my kids & family members that Im carrying.
Good idea, cause having your little kid tell someone that "Daddy's got a gun!" would be good for lots of laughs.
Old September 25, 2013, 08:28 PM   #9
jimbob86

My kids all know that dad carries a gun. They also know that there are things polite people don't talk about in public. Things on the inside of our pants are on that list.
Old September 25, 2013, 08:29 PM   #10
Rob228

I have a Safariland holster wrapped in skateboard tape that sits between my seat and the console, if I am driving for more than half an hour my Glock 36 comes out of my IWB holster and goes into that one. At the moment it is just my wife, but when our first is born this January I do have a few years to go before it gets explained to her.
Old September 25, 2013, 08:50 PM   #11
Corrections Cop

With regards to ccw and family, my kids are young, 2&5. My kids know I carry, but me and my wife do not make a big deal of it. It is normal to them, just like me carrying a wallet. My oldest knows that it is not a toy and only used to defend against bad guys. And since it is normal to them it is hardly ever discussed. With regards to IWB carry, I carry a Sig P226 or a Walther PPKS both IWB, try canting the holster forward, that works best for me, even while driving. Hope this helps.
Old September 25, 2013, 09:14 PM   #12
Bartholomew Roberts

What kind of holster are you using? I suspect this is a big part of the discomfort problem. All holsters are not created equal.
Old September 25, 2013, 09:22 PM   #13
ClydeFrog

Post #8....

I disagree with post 8.
Small children & pre-teens can be taught how to be around firearms or gear.
Little kids would not make a issue of it or say anything if you teach them about guns/holsters/ammunition.
I don't subscribe to the hide things/lie/mislead/ignore things from young kids.
That's not the type of parent I would be.
Kids aren't dumb or simple, you can talk to them about guns & concealed carry when they are ready.
Old September 25, 2013, 09:27 PM   #14
Indi

Ive carried a glock 26/19/23 iwb for the last couple of years. I started carrying in the galco king tuk which is a hybrid iwb holster similar to Crossbreeds supertuck. It worked fine, i carried it all day and was extremely comfortable. The kydex cracked from wear but its still usable. Currently im carrying the same guns in a compatc mtac, i also bought a gun belt with it and am very happy with this set up. Again i carry it all day from morning to night with out any discomfort. I have 1 kydex holster with belt loops for iwb carry and find it to be the most uncomfortable piece of plastic i own, i got it with the glock 19, part of the trade. Ive found hybrid holsters are extremely comfortable.

Quote:
Good idea, cause having your little kid tell someone that "Daddy's got a gun!" would be good for lots of laughs.
While at the Chicago Field museum last winter my 2.5 year old daughter had to go potty, the womans restroom had a long line, and the mens was empty, so i took my daughter to the mens restroom. Well while shes sitting there she deciedes to ask me loadly "Daddy, you got your gun?"....lol. After finishing up we got out washed our hands and continued on with our buisness. I didnt bring my gun to the museum because of the laws of the state. If she did this to me somewhere in Oklahoma (where i can legally carry) i wouldnt worry much about it, I would tell her yup and tell her to hush.

Last edited by Indi; September 25, 2013 at 09:41 PM.
Old September 26, 2013, 09:15 AM   #15
Spats McGee
Staff

Telling the kids may or may not be appropriate, depending on the age and temperament of the kids. I have to say, though, that I really like this line:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob86
My kids all know that dad carries a gun. They also know that there are things polite people don't talk about in public. Things on the inside of our pants are on that list.
That's AWESOME!

When my daughter was younger, I told her something similar: Guns are like underwear. I always wear 'em, but I don't want you talking to your friends about them.

ETA: Only the OP can make the determination as to whether to tell the kids, whether to tell them now or later, etc. With that said, it would help to know what kind of IWB holster you're using, OP. I use a Theis, which is a CBST clone. I love the holster, and it does its job very well. I have to admit, though, that it's not as comfortable as an OWB in leather. Since virtually everyone who rides in my car already knows that I carry, I don't have to worry about being "exposed," though.
Old September 26, 2013, 09:35 AM   #16
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spats
Telling the kids may or may not be appropriate, depending on the age and temperament of the kids. I have to say, though, that I really like this line:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob86
That's AWESOME!
It is. I laughed out loud -- because it's perfect.
Old September 26, 2013, 12:53 PM   #17
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
When my daughter was younger, I told her something similar: Guns are like underwear. I always wear 'em, but I don't want you talking to your friends about them.

ETA: Only the OP can make the determination as to whether to tell the kids, whether to tell them now or later, etc. With that said, it would help to know what kind of IWB holster you're using, OP. I use a Theis, which is a CBST clone. I love the holster, and it does its job very well. I have to admit, though, that it's not as comfortable as an OWB in leather. Since virtually everyone who rides in my car already knows that I carry, I don't have to worry about being "exposed," though.
That's hilarious! lol nice call.

OP, my main CCW is a Glock 19.

I carry the following ways depending on many things:

IWB @ 1:00 (appendix) for work with a Unlce Mike's (garbage holster) and just purchased a PHLster holster, the "Skeleton" and it feels like home. (I'm a kydex guy) Doesn't bother me at all. With a belt loop.

IWB @ 4:00 (strong side) in a De Santis Intruder holster. It's kydex and leather that molds to your body type and it's really comfortable. You forget the gun is even there. With 2 hooks.

IWB @ 4:00 (strong side) in a Bravo Concealment holster that's for the Glock 19 with a Streamlight TLR-1s

OWB @ 3:30 (duty side) from this entrepreneur. He makes one of the best holsters I've ever used.
Old September 26, 2013, 12:55 PM   #18
allaroundhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob86 View Post
This right here could be the best signature line... Ever.
Old September 26, 2013, 01:23 PM   #19
ClydeFrog

Guns & family members...

I find it interesting that a few gun owners/license holders have not discussed or addressed the gun issue with their family members/significant other(s).

I would talk about or plan all of the issues related to concealed carry with my spouse/family before there was a problem or conflict.

A few years ago, I saw a TV program where a active US Secret Service agent discussed being a witness/victim of a "takedown" robbery in a restaurant while he was off-duty.
He said he followed his USSS training for dealing with those incidents.
The US Secret Service, correctly in my view, trains armed personnel in how to handle these events or off duty situations where a crime may occur.
CCW license holders or armed citizens should do the same. What would you do if a armed robbery took place in front of you? What would your spouse or domestic partner do? If armed would they "back your play"? Do you & your family members have any duress codes or signals for emergencies?
Would your older children or teens know what's expected of them in a lethal force event? Could you or your spouse provide basic first aid or treat a gun shot wound/serious injury?
Buying a smoke alarm or a few fire extinguishers after your house burns down isn't a smart plan. Neither is carrying a loaded firearm & not having plans or training.

Clyde
Old September 26, 2013, 01:52 PM   #20
TailGator

Some excellent parenting is going on by forum members, with Jimbob86 foremost in today's competition.

I am going to take a little different direction in my gun advice: Go back to the fanny pack for long car trips. That is one of the times when fanny packs really shine. The pistol is laying right there in your lap, with far easier access than an IWB holster inside both a seat belt and a cover garment that you are likely to be either sitting on or binding up with the seat belt. And who cares about what kind of fashion statement you are making at rest stops and gas stations?

If you have opportunity to discretely switch the pistol back to IWB when you get there, so much the better, but why put fashion over comfort and safety?

FWIW, I also find a fanny pack convenient when doing home repairs and lawn work. The pistol is protected from sweat, dirt, and dust, and there is no extra cover garment or worry about accidental exposure. And that is another time when sartorial elegance is of no consequence.
Old September 26, 2013, 08:00 PM   #21
ropadop

Thanks for all the great replies. It may be time to talk to my boys about ccw.

I have several iwb holsters. The one that caused me to beg for my fannypack was a remora "sticky" holster wearing shorts and a golf shirt. I was in the car for several hours while on a shopping trip. I also have a hybrid crossbreed type holster, but it feels a little bulky for summer carry. I have a 911 vest, but I never really got comfortable with it. I also have used a belly band with the G19 at 3 oclock a little above my waist line. Although the belly band is stealthy and comfortable, it was a little cumbersome to draw from.

Again, thanks for all the input.
Old September 26, 2013, 08:27 PM   #22
ClydeFrog

5.11 shirt(s)....

As concealed carry becomes more common, many outlets are making clothes/gear that conceal weapons.
Check; www.5.11tactical.com www.woolrichelite.com www.blackhawk.com www.glockstore.com www.glockbooks.com www.galls.com www.uscav.com .

There are ways to conceal a Glock compact but you need to train/carry with it too.

Stay safe;
Clyde
Old September 26, 2013, 09:50 PM   #23
WyMark

Quote:
I agree, and that there is funny as hell.

But...

Quote:
While at the Chicago Field museum last winter my 2.5 year old daughter had to go potty, the womans restroom had a long line, and the mens was empty, so i took my daughter to the mens restroom. Well while shes sitting there she deciedes to ask me loadly "Daddy, you got your gun?"
Kids sometimes blurt things out despite whatever you've talked about, or think they understand. They know immediately that they weren't supposed to say what just came out, but it can sometimes be a little awkward.
Old September 26, 2013, 10:05 PM   #24
jimbob86

Quote:
Some excellent parenting is going on by forum members, with Jimbob86 foremost in today's competition.
Thank You for the compliments, guys ...... sometimes (especially with teen-agers!) it is hard to know if you are doing a good, or even adequate job ..... and it is my full time job ...... I'm a full time dad and part time contractor.

Thanks again.
Old September 26, 2013, 10:07 PM   #25
Koda94

I highly recommend a holster that allows you to re-holster one handed. One of the most comfortable IWB holsters I have tried is a "tuckable" IWB from Hidden Hybred Holsters, very high quality at an excellent price. Delivery under 2 weeks. They make one for the G19: http://shop.hiddenhybridholsters.com/HHH-C1-HHH-C1.htm

I've never hid from my family that I carry, I think its important that they know how to react in public if they realize I'm carrying, not just how to interact with you but what to do if you needed to use the gun. I also had a polite but serious talk with my 10yr old daughter about talking about it in public. She likes to give me hugs alot and so I included how to without grabbing/moving/printing the gun, my wife too whom otherwise is not a gun person.

Thank God your moving away from the fanny pack carry, good luck on your search for a quality holster if your like most you'll end up with a few that didn't work out for you before finding the right one.

Last edited by Koda94; September 26, 2013 at 10:13 PM.