The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 13, 2013, 06:51 PM   #1
TommyP

Rutten Herstal O/U Shotgun RM285

Is anybody familiar with the Rutten Herstal RM285 O/U shotgun? It had belonged to my dad before he passed away and Mr Google isn't showing much in the way of history of the gun, value, etc. I can't even find one for sale on any site to determine value.

Trying to post pictures, but the site is saying that the file is missing a security token....
Old July 13, 2013, 07:29 PM   #2
BigD_in_FL

Value means different things to different people - being as it was your dad's, it would hold a lot more value to you than me

http://www.aoct.org/BlueBooks/Guns/R/C1483.htm
Old July 13, 2013, 07:33 PM   #3
TommyP

Thank you for the link!

I don't have any plans to sell it right now, just trying to get a better idea of what I have. This was one of about 15 guns that he left me, and is one that I had never seen until after he passed.
Old July 14, 2013, 08:50 PM   #4
PetahW

AFAIK, J&L Rutten made only 2 models of shotguns, both O/U's - the plain Model 100 & somewhat fancier Model 285.

IIRC, they were imported into the US from Herstal, Belgium in the mid-late 1990's, and currently bring less then the $500 - $900 that CDNN once offered them as new, in good/used condition, today.