The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 7, 2006, 09:52 AM   #1
texfar

Any views on the Barrett .416?

Looking into a .50 cal, and ran across the new .416 Barrett trough a friend. Comments appreciated.
Old May 7, 2006, 10:42 AM   #2
Chaingunner

As soon as they make one with a detachable box magazine and my crappy state (kalifornia) legalizes 'em, I'll get one.

For now, well...I'm not big on single shot rifles.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis."
Old May 7, 2006, 02:35 PM   #3
50 shooter

If you want a .50, get one. Unless ALOT of other companies pick it up, Barrett will be the sole provider for some of the components.

You can read this post, http://www.biggerhammer.net/barrett/...gi?read=186606 and take it with a grain of salt. Me personally, I'll pass unless I hear something outstanding about the .416 Barrett. What I would like to see is someone neck the case back up to .50 as it would fall somewhere between .50 BMG and .50 Spotter/Tracer. Plus it would give we subjects here in Kali another .50 caliber choice besides .50 DTC and .50 ST.
No time for rearranging.
Old May 9, 2006, 12:22 AM   #4
texfar

Thanks for the input guys, and the link 50 shooter. Much to think about, but I will probably go with a .50. Any suggestions as to a company other than Barrett??
Old May 9, 2006, 12:24 AM   #5
texfar

Forgot to mention that I would prefer a magazine fed over single shot.
Old May 9, 2006, 06:07 AM   #6
jailbait

i thought that that was barrett's whole reasoning behind the 416, was that comifornia hadn't made them illegal yet. that is to say that they are legal and you can already get them there....

and he can't get a .50 in cali, they banned them a while back. that's the reason barrett's producing the 416
Old May 9, 2006, 11:49 AM   #7
FirstFreedom

Quote:
and my crappy state (kalifornia) legalizes 'em
Why would Cali have to legalize them? That's not how it works. Things that one can undertake are presumed to be legal UNLESS they're made illegal, not the other way around. And there's nothing illegal about anything under .50 cal, is there?
Old May 9, 2006, 06:26 PM   #8
Chaingunner

What I meant is that the .416 in it's current state does not interest me as it is a single shot rifle. I want something with a detachable magazine; currently, CA laws seem to prohibit their sale (thus all the ARs out here with sealed mag wells).

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis."
Old May 10, 2006, 01:09 AM   #9
roscoe

Barrett is rechambering many of their rifles to .416, so a bolt action should be in the works.
Old May 10, 2006, 06:09 AM   #10
jailbait

there is one word for californian's that want to own cool firearms..... move
Old May 10, 2006, 06:29 PM   #11
50 shooter

If you want a .50 in Kali you don't need to move, you can buy a .50 DTC right now. It uses all the same components as the .50 BMG, what you need to do is fireform the brass after trimming 100th of an inch off. The Barrett .416 is a single shot M99 that has been rechambered from .50 BMG. Currently I haven't heard of them chambering any other rifles for .416.

Other then Barrett for a mag fed is EDM ARMS, McBros/McMillan, COBB Mfg., Anzio, Christensen Arms, Robar and VM Hy-Tech. Kali only bans detachable mags that are over 10 rounds and on semi-auto rifles.

There's also the .50 spotter/tracer that's legal as long as it's loaded with ball, AP or some kind of match round. Maybe some enterprising Kali person will neck the .416 Barrett back up to .50 and give us another choice.
No time for rearranging.
Old May 11, 2006, 02:48 AM   #12
Crosshair

Can you load the .416 in a standard single stage reloading press or do you still need a 50 BMG press?
Old May 11, 2006, 10:19 AM   #13
50 shooter

Seeing how the .416 Barrett is a wildcat on a .50 BMG case it's hard to say. Don't know if the shellholders being the size they are would fit even if modified for smaller presses. Plus you'll need a die that can full length size the case, standard .50 BMG dies are 1 1/2" Dia. so that doesn't look good either.

I'm sure Lee could modify their current .50 BMG press for it, that way there would be an economical way to get started.
No time for rearranging.