The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old September 9, 2011, 01:44 PM   #26
Mueller

It's possible the guy was prototyping a weapon system, but couldn't put thought on paper to reality in a working model, just imagine the utility of such a device in keeping pest birds from damaging crops or firing some form of OC Capsium round as a perimeter security device, some of the greatest weapons and weapon systems started out with a strange idea and many evolutions before the finished product made the market.

As far as the MG42's, maybe a friend or family member was the eventual end recipient, who knows since I imagine a lot of those type of details get edited so one can see more 'Bang" and less Government red tape and regulation, kind of the case in point in this thread, with the lack of information on the post sample MG.
Old September 9, 2011, 02:02 PM   #27
Lincoln_Arms

Junk Yard guy or not, he would almost have to be a Class 2 manufacturer to take posession of that thing. The ATF would probably never approve a Form 3 for a Class 3 dealer to use as a dealer sample. It's hard enough to get demo letters approved for Department Demos for duty weapons. But who knows, I guess anything is possible.
Old September 9, 2011, 02:19 PM   #28
robhof

robhof

You guys totally overlooked the other story, a young lady bringing in a .50 Desert Eagle for help with recoil and they build her a shoulder stock!!!! that becomes a SBR and also requires the necessary stamp and transfer...
Old September 9, 2011, 02:31 PM   #29
Lincoln_Arms

I think we're losing sight that it's a t.v show. LOL
Old September 22, 2011, 07:21 PM   #30
9mm

I notice that too, the guy was like you can have it for $15k. I WAS LIKE WHAT? that was made after 1986....
Old September 22, 2011, 09:52 PM   #31
Nickel Plated

It's a shame, some of the stuff they made in the first season seemed pretty practical, like the silenced AK and precision AK and a few other ones I can't think of now. But now they are going way out there and making guns that noone will buy and "solving" problems in the most convoluted, backasswards way possible. This shows already going downhill. Shame, it started out good.
Old September 22, 2011, 09:58 PM   #32
9mm

They need to work on NFA stuff that citizens can buy, not post 86 samples.... We cannot buy that, or $125,000 cannons.
Old September 22, 2011, 10:19 PM   #33
oldkim

Man it's a TV show... We wouldn't watch if all you saw was the "average" trigger job on a 1911... Over and over again...

Okay let me rephrase that... 98% of us wouldn't watch that...

But if they made a 12 gauge Gatling type gun... I guess we would.

Young Kim
Sent from my iPod touch.
Old September 22, 2011, 10:30 PM   #34
chasep255

Don't forget that we are all gun people here so we obviously have different views that that of the other 90% of the audience.
Old September 25, 2011, 11:33 PM   #35
Auto426

It's a Discovery Channel TV show, and Discovery is famous for over-dramatizing daily activities and jobs. As was said earlier, how many people would stay tuned to the show if all they ever did was convert and modify Saiga's and AR's.

The same goes for Orange County Choppers. Who would watch the show if all they did was build their production bikes, and not the un-rideable rolling advertisements they are now famous for. Or how about Pawn Stars? It's "reality TV", and there's nothing real about it.
Old September 26, 2011, 10:57 AM   #36
csmsss

I watch the show simply for the comedy. Like the owner putting his scary daughter into a skimpy dress at a gun show then telling one of his knucklehead employees he couldn't "fraternize" with her. The most comedic part of that is that the daughter is...well...let's just say she will never be a supermodel. Then there's the absurdity of a custom-milled shoulder stock for a Desert Eagle. Did the thought never occur to them to just tell her to buy a cheap carbine chambered in whatever that DE was chambered in? How much did that shoulder stock cost plus all the taxes the customer would have had to pay? Absurd. But as comedy, highly amusing.

Oh, and for the OP, it's probably not the guys with their hides covered with artistically done, multicolored tattoos obviously done in a parlor costing many thousands of dollars you should be worrying about. It's the guys with crappy black prison tats should be of most concern to you.
Old September 26, 2011, 08:55 PM   #37
Eghad

lol.. Its a great show. TV is for entertainment! Will is a big boy and knows what and what he can not do.

I like the show because I know every time it airs some gun contol person is out there beating his head against the wall.

I have watched the folks folks here second guess the show over several times and crash and burn after Will explains it.

If you watched the show about the Desert Eagle they told the lady that she had to wait until the papers came back. If the lady has the money to buy a shoulder stock for her DE then whats the problem as long as it doesn't become a safety issue?

In the capitalist system you make money by meeting demand.

NRA Life Member
Old September 27, 2011, 01:18 AM   #38
9mm

Oh I remember that, the DE with stock, wasn't RJF engraved in it? The funny part is she probably won't shoot it that much... .50AE is so much.

Quote:
then telling one of his knucklehead employees he couldn't "fraternize" with her.
Kris is crazy, so hyper around firearms. It's like everytime I turn around when hes on camera hes like "I LOVE MY JOB, I GET TO BLOW STUFF UP"
Old September 28, 2011, 12:55 PM   #39
meatgrinder42

I heard about this thing from a buddy who watches the show. I immediately Youtubed it and my jaw dropped to the floor. I have this thing against firearms I think are absolutely ridiculous to give to the public, this is now number one on the list. Trailed by the 20mm Vulcan rifle. I don't understand how it was legal to build or how someone didn't die from it but...they must have a real good system of lawyers... And I mean REAL good.
Old September 28, 2011, 10:23 PM   #40
csmsss

"Vulcan" rifle? Are you referring to the Lahti rifle they welded up and reassembled? Those are actually somewhat common - there are a number of videos on Youtube of individuals firing these things.
Old September 29, 2011, 01:22 AM   #41
Eghad

There are a number of individuals who own a Lahti. Why should they not be available to the public? I would like to own one. 99.999999999999999999999 percent of citizens who own firearms are law abiding. I don't see massive amounts of articles on NFA firearm owners going crazy and shooting up the place.

NRA Life Member
Old September 29, 2011, 04:50 PM   #42
meatgrinder42

No not the Lahti specifically (which is more understandable to me because it's a collectors item). The 'Vulcan' rifle gets it's name because it fires a 20mm round which is shared with the Vulcan gattling cannon. I see no reason why someone needs a 20mm rifle. I'm not going to go to Washington about it, it's just one of my opinions that the 20mm rifle has no real business in the civilian market.
Old September 12, 2012, 12:50 AM   #43
Blindmike

Gives me bad ideals and I'm impressionable

If Red Jacket can do it I guess I can string some cheap AK's together and make my own Gatling Gun until ATF says its a no-no. Wow, open market for multi-barrel weapons COOL!