The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 3, 2015, 08:57 AM   #1
Shooter2675

Bolt Action .223 Help

Since I already own an AR-15, and was looking to buy a bolt action .223 for varmint hunting. Since I live in PA, I cannot use my AR-15 for coyotes or anything for that matter, so I wanted a bolt action. I own one Savage rifle and it is very accurate, so I was thinking of buying another one in .223. I saw one on Cabelas' website, called the Savage Model 11 Prairie Dog, in .223. I understand it is a Cabelas special, and it has a blind magazine, but I have a couple of questions. One, could I out any stock on it that fits a Savage Model 11, and two, I heard the magazine loading system is a little funky, so could I replace it?

John
Old March 3, 2015, 10:04 AM   #2
precision_shooter

1) Yes, any stock made to fit a model 11 should fit, provided the barrel channel in the stock is big enough for the barrel (possibly heavy profile) on the rifle you are looking at.

2) If it has a blind magazine (load from the top), then you may be able to replace with another type from another line of rifles from Savage. Like the detachable box mag on the model 10, but you will either have to modify the stock from #1 above to work with the detachable mag, or buy a model 10 stock that is already able to use the detachable mags and then just buy the mags.

Some trial and error will probably be needed for #2.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old March 3, 2015, 11:40 AM   #3
Husqvarna

savages are great but

the mossberg or ruger that takes ar-mags?

or the CZ carbine, thsat is a great little nifty gun, probably not as accurate as the savage or the mossberg thou
Old March 3, 2015, 12:03 PM   #4
Shooter2675

Precision shooter, the reason I was asking is because it has a top bolt release. I am not sure if this would effect stock fitting? Any ideas?

John
Old March 3, 2015, 12:18 PM   #5
precision_shooter

Bolt release is on the top/right side of the receiver?

Should be plenty of stocks available to fit. The stocks are built based on action screw spacing. The older smaller action screw spacing had the bolt release up top, the newer larger action screw spacing have the bolt release on the bottom in front of the trigger guard.

Just measure your action screw spacing and order the correct stock. Most sites will list which models they fit with regard to where the bolt release is or what the action screw spacing needs to be.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old March 3, 2015, 03:04 PM   #6
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
ruger that takes ar-mags
??? I missed it. Can't find one.
Old March 3, 2015, 03:08 PM   #7
precision_shooter

Only the Mossberg uses AR mags, the Ruger still uses proprietary mags...
Old March 3, 2015, 03:18 PM   #8
johnwilliamson062

I'm nt sure why Ruger is so foolhardy on the proprietary magazine issue. I was almost surprised when the SR 556 used AR mags. If their scout 223 used stanag mags I would look at it.
Old March 3, 2015, 03:47 PM   #9
Shooter2675

I am definitly not looking for something like the a Ruger or Mossberg. I liked the Savage but just had a few questions about it.

John
Old March 3, 2015, 06:34 PM   #10
9x19

There is another Ruger in 5.56 that may work for you... the American Ranch.

http://www.ruger.com/products/americ...ch/models.html

I like mine quite a bit.
Old March 3, 2015, 09:44 PM   #11
Txhillbilly

Shooter2675,That rifle should be a Centerfeed magazine model short action receiver. If it has the top side bolt release,you could use any aftermarket stock for a Savage SA Centerfeed action.
Savage doesn't make the Staggered feed actions anymore,all of them are Centerfeed.
Old March 4, 2015, 01:41 PM   #12
pltx2000

the American Ranch.

has a 16.5" barrel. I would think you'd want at least 22" on a bolt action. However, if your happy with it, more power to you.
Old March 4, 2015, 03:34 PM   #13
precision_shooter

Quote:
has a 16.5" barrel. I would think you'd want at least 22" on a bolt action. However, if your happy with it, more power to you.
Why is that?
Plenty of bolt action rifles with barrels less than 22", and they shoot just fine! I have a Savage 10P-SR in .308Win that has an 18" barrel and it shoots great...

Wondering where you heard that bolt actions need at least 22" barrels?
Old March 4, 2015, 06:40 PM   #14
jmr40

Look at barrel twist before deciding. The Ruger American and Scout are an 8 twist and very popular for guys wanting to shoot the same heavy bullets as their AR's. The Hawkeye is a 9 twist. Not sure about Savage or any others for that matter, but many are 10 or 12 twisted barrels meant only for lightweight varmint bullets.
Old March 4, 2015, 08:06 PM   #15
Rimfire5

I have an old Savage 10 FP .308 with a built in magazine but a bottom plate. Some Savages that are listed as "hidden magazines" don't have a bottom plate so there is no hole in the stock to put a mag through.

I have put over 7,000 rounds in and out of the old 10 FP magazine with zero problems. I wouldn't worry about the internal magazine operation.
I used up one barrel and replaced it but kept the built in mag.
The Savage safety is a 3 position safety and the middle position is designed to allow the bolt to function so the hidden mag can be cleared safely.
I wouldn't hesitate to get another one.

I also have a 10 FCP-K in .308 that has a detachable magazine. It is handy for loading and preloading mags but I still like the older non-detachable mag version.
Old March 4, 2015, 08:20 PM   #16
Arizona Fusilier

I have to agree with the twist analysis. Had a Weatherby Vanguard that would not stabilize anything above 64 grain. Figure out want you want to do with it, then shop accordingly.
Old March 4, 2015, 08:24 PM   #17
pltx2000

Why can't you use your AR?

Getting a bolt because PA won't let you use your AR??? Just wondering why that is. BTW, my point was that the AR is 16", if your going to a bolt action why not get a longer barrel for greater accuracy.
Old March 4, 2015, 08:33 PM   #18
4runnerman

pltx2000- A shorter barrel gives nothing up in Accuracy, only MV is lost.
I believe the Savage you are talking about is a 1-9 twist. Will work fine for the heavier bullets. I have 3 Savages with the blind mag. Never had a issue with any of them.
Old March 4, 2015, 08:42 PM   #19
Shooter2675

Pltx2000 - not sure what you mean? By PA law I cannot hunt with a semi auto rifle. It is not my choice. I would to you my AR but the politicians won't let me.

John
Old March 4, 2015, 10:01 PM   #20
jmr40

The blind magazine won't hurt a thing. In many ways it is better. Most of my bolt rifles have floor plates or detachable magazines but I have 2 with blind mags and wouldn't dream of changing them. They cost less, reduce the rifles weight and help keep the stock stiffer. They function just as well and it takes about 3 seconds longer to unload your rifle. There is no magazine to lose and you don't have to worry about the floor plate opening and dumping your ammo on the ground. Both do happen at times, almost never at a good time.

A 223 just doesn't benefit much from a barrel longer than 20" and is not terribly handicapped with 16". The length has no effect on accuracy.
Old March 5, 2015, 02:16 AM   #21
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
BTW, my point was that the AR is 16", if your going to a bolt action why not get a longer barrel for greater accuracy.
MV increases point blank range. This, too many shooters effectively increases accuracy as it increases the ranges they can shoot and hit the target without making any adjustments or calculations. Most of the guys I hunt with zero their rifle at whatever range from a bench and would never consider making adjustments in the field; even with click adjustable optics.

Barrel length won't result in a lower MOA group shot from a bench at a static target. In many cases, especially light profile sporter barrels, a shorter barrel will actually shoot lower MOA.
Old March 5, 2015, 02:33 AM   #22
wingspar

The Savage Hog Hunter would be worth looking at. I have the Hog Hunter in .308 and had no problem finding an aftermarket stock which I just installed.
Old March 5, 2015, 06:47 PM   #23
3kgt2nv

Have you looked at the cz 527? 223 bolt action. Set trigger from factory. Light gun and not to pricey
Old March 5, 2015, 07:16 PM   #24
wingspar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3kgt2nv
Have you looked at the cz 527? 223 bolt action. Set trigger from factory. Light gun and not to pricey
A CZ 527 is also another option. A bit more pricy than the Savage Hog Hunter, but a darn nice rifle and with a detachable magazine. As a coincidence, I’ve had a CZ 527 in 7.62x39 on backorder for about 4 months. It’s in stock now, and I should have it in a few days.
Old March 5, 2015, 07:31 PM   #25
precision_shooter

Quote:
I’ve had a CZ 527 in 7.62x39 on backorder for about 4 months. It’s in stock now, and I should have it in a few days.
You will like that 527, I love mine! I mounted a Leupold VXR 1.25-4x scope with German #4 reticle and a light weight nylon web sling. The set trigger is excellent and the normal trigger pull is not bad either. Mine shoots S&B and Hornady brass cased 123gr ammo very well!

Tags
cabelas , magazine , savage , stock , varmint