The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 28, 1999, 10:03 PM   #1
Spencer Stewart

Hello All,

I've been eyeing this slingshot and thinking about purchasing it. It is a nice slingshot with fiber optics sights and you can order stabilizer rods for it.

I was wondering what experiences you've had with slingshots or even this one in particular.

Spencer
Old October 29, 1999, 11:04 PM   #2
EQUALIZER

Spencer,

I've seen pictures in adds for that model. I don't know how it compares to other hunting slingshots or if the fancy fiber optics and weights are worth the extra $. I can say that my experience w/ hunting sling shots (SS) is:

1. The heavier tubing is FAR more accurate than what is found in most factory models I've seen in recent years. Wish I knew of a source to steer you to. Whatever the model SS, the heavy grade latex tubing is the ONLY way to go. The medical grade to me seems too weak. Still not enough power & consistancy.

2. If you decide not to go w/the fiber opt.sight model, you can paint a 3 dot sight that seems to help. One dot/stripe on top of grip. One dot/stripe on both sides just below bands.

3. I used to wonder if the weights really helped too. Someone who has owned this model and others may correct me, but I personally came to the conclusion that they were mainly hype. After practiceing w/standard models, found that proper grip, muscle control, sight picture had everything to do w/steady accurate shot placement. That's my .02

4. If you get it. I don't think that the weights and sight that come w/it is detrimental or takes away from its accuracy. I just don't know that they help. If $ and ease of carry/packability are not an issue, by all means get it and let me know what you think.

5. For ranges out to around 20 yds. they are great for rabbit hunting and plinking.

Good shooting,

Robert
Ps: Add a)round ammo , b)even tubing length, and c)proper pinch & follow through to #3.
------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)

[This message has been edited by EQUALIZER (edited October 30, 1999).]
Old October 30, 1999, 03:40 AM   #3
Scott Evans
Staff Alumnus

Sling shot with sights …???

I grew up with a “Wrist-Rocket”. Awesome tool for hunting Rabbits, squirrels or what ever. I agree with heavier tubing being better. A good source is MSC.

I’m sure that I have spent thousands of hours practicing, hunting, and plinking with mine. However, I never used sights. I preferred both eyes open and pointing to any type of sight gizmo. Not that sights would be bad for anyone else I just like doing it the old fashioned way. They are great fun and also effective weapons once you acquire a measure of skill with them.
Old October 30, 1999, 03:31 PM   #4
beemerb

Scott could you tell me what MSC is?Been looking for slingshot rubbers and have found no good source.
Thanks
Bob
Old October 30, 1999, 04:27 PM   #5
Spencer Stewart

MSC is an industrial supply company which has just about more than you'll ever need in the way of tools, machinery, raw materials, etc,

You can find their website and order their HUGE catalog (and CD) at http://www.mscdirect.com

Spencer
Old November 2, 1999, 06:59 PM   #6
slickpuppy

Spencer,
Thanks for the MSC link! Now, where is this fancy slingshot available?? I used to have a wristrocket many years ago and it was a blast to play with. I would love to check out this guy with sights and everything.
Old November 2, 1999, 07:50 PM   #7
Spencer Stewart

Here is the website for the slingshot:
http://www.slingshots.com/index.html

Here is the lowest price I have found on it so far (this one is w/out the stabilizer)
http://www.blowgunsnw.com/rocket.htm

Have fun! I know I will as soon as I get one...

Spencer
Old November 3, 1999, 04:43 PM   #8
slickpuppy

I was looking around and found http://www.slingshots.net
It has a variety of slingshot manufacturers listed there.
Old November 3, 1999, 10:45 PM   #9
EQUALIZER

Spencer and Slick puppy,

Auwwwww! Now you went and did it! You got me interested in sling shots again dag nabbit! Now why in the world did you have to go and post those sites. I would have been quite content going out to my range and shooting some handgun, but NOoooo. Now I have to get out my old SS or buy one of those fancy new ones and get back into shooting it again............D)

I remember as a kid when I started using a wrist rocket. The only thing that I could manage to do real consistantly was to hit my hand with home made arrows and pieces of glass and whatever looked half way shootable.

I wished I had time this week to get out that ol SS. Just one more hobby to add to my already too busy schedule...But it sure was fun...except when I'd get blamed for every broken window in the neighborhood. I DIDN'T do it.........

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)

[This message has been edited by EQUALIZER (edited November 03, 1999).]
Old November 4, 1999, 02:18 PM   #10
CHEMNCO917

Hey Scot.....WoW.... have not heard the name "Wrist Rocket" for years...... I still have it... taught my son and dauther and now I get to teach the Grandson..... very handy tool.... took it to VN with me but that another story..... I used 1/4" ball bearings and cracked marbles.... what did you use ???

Old November 4, 1999, 06:07 PM   #11
Scott Evans
Staff Alumnus

CHEMNCO917,

Likewise, I still have mine … now you have me thinking … let’s see I first purchased it when I was in 7th grade … that makes it … hum … 26 YEARS. Wow, I have very little that I have held on to for that long. Mine is still in excellent condition and from time to time when I pick it up to shoot I am still accurate. The best ammo for me are .38 lead balls. It has been my experience that you can accomplish the best level of penetration with those. The consistent shape and weight is essential for developing top-notch accuracy. For economy practice ammo I used glass marbles into a cardboard trap. However there have been times when I have shot nearly anything possible as it was all that I had. And once hooked you must shoot or all is not well in the world. Come to think of it… it has been far too long since the last time.
Old November 5, 1999, 11:26 AM   #12
CHEMNCO917

scott... yeah,, I bought mine in '61 (parents did not know about it for years) I also, have replaced the surgical tubing about three times.....The neighborhood that I grew up in would not sell lead balls or shot to minors so I just got ball bearings and the hardware store.. (was cheap too!!)... when I hunted doves & ravens I would heat the marbles in the oven and then drop them into cold water, that cracked them and when you shot at a bird at about 100 ft or so, the marble would frag in flight and still bring it down like a shotgun pellet...would not work on rabbits though, the damn things would just keep running... only the bearings would stop them..... any stories to tell?? I'm listening....