The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 28, 2014, 10:37 AM   #1
sknowskier

Browning 16g Won't Fire

I have a Browning A5 16g that works great except I get no Boom. I've taken everything apart cleaned it, cycled it, test fired it (empty), and everything seems to work perfect. That is until I put shells in it. I pull the trigger and all I get is a click. It sounds like I'm dry firing it. I checked the firing pin and it's not broken. Anybody have any ideas?
Old July 28, 2014, 11:45 AM   #2
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Is the hammer spring okay? Browning A-5's have flat hammer springs, and are probably their only design flaw, and they will break. They generally crack, and break where the screw goes through at the tang behind the trigger guard.

The other thing to look at is if the bolt is fully locking up into the barrel. The bolt retracts the firing pin during recoil, and it is possible that it could block it, if the bolt is not fully locking into the barrel's extension. A weak/dirty bolt return spring might cause this, and that is the long spring in the tube which is inside the stock. Look at the bolt handle, as it should be all the way forward, with no gap showing, when it is locked up.
Old July 28, 2014, 01:00 PM   #3
sknowskier

I replaced the bolt spring, tube, and the wooden plunger at the back. I don't know about the hammer spring but as far as I can tell it seems to be okay. The gun acts like the firing pin is broken but when I pulled it out it seemed to be fine. Would you know how long they are supposed to be? Maybe the tip was broken off and somebody filed it down so you couldn't tell. I'm really reaching on that one.
Old July 28, 2014, 02:22 PM   #4
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

I take it that you for sure hear the hammer fall after pulling the trigger? If not, it could have something to do with the safety sear not being pushed off the trigger by the link.

If the profile is rounded or domed, on the end of the firing pin, it may be okay, as I have never seen one worn down, only broken on these. Take out the bolt, and push the firing pin until it is flush with the rear of the bolt. It should protrude from the front enough that it will indent the primer as deep as any other gun. If it does not, somebody could have been messing with the tip. One other thing, make sure that the slot in the firing pin, at it's top rear, is clean of any debris-dirt, as it would not allow it to go far enough forward against its retaining pin.

Last, make sure the hammer moves freely on its pin. If there is any drag, it may be enough to maybe keep the hammer from hitting the firing pin hard enough. Double check the hammer spring by depressing it with the hammer, and look for anything abnormal, like not enough pressure, as that flat spring is heavy, and should be stout. It is possible that the spring could have taken a negative set over time, but it would be hard to tell without placing it beside a new spring. Also, make sure the hammer spring screw, on the tang, is tight.
Old July 28, 2014, 02:29 PM   #5
sknowskier

Ok thanks I'll check these tonight.