The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 1, 2000, 02:00 PM   #1
Jeff Thomas

I've fired a Thompson, and an M-14, but that is the extent of my full auto experience.

I've been blessed by an invitation to the Front Sight school, after the SHOT Show in Vegas this month. I'll do some reading on this forum, but I wondered if any of you would provide any advice before I go?

Thanks. Regards from AZ
Old January 1, 2000, 02:24 PM   #2
Wingspan

Start saving your pennies NOW! After your training is through, you will want one REAL BAD!!
Old January 3, 2000, 01:42 PM   #3
artech

Well, the Air Force might say aim high, but in the Corps we used to say aim low and left and let the burst walk into 'em. Keep the bursts short and find your front sight during the recovery, aim low and left, another burst. For tactical training, keep looking all around you, as most courses like to sneak things up on you while you are focused straight ahead. Hope this helps.

------------------
With my shield or on it...
Old January 6, 2000, 01:27 AM   #4
Jeff Thomas

Thanks.
Old January 7, 2000, 10:46 PM   #5
Rob Pincus

I will be providing pictures from Jeff's first "small package" full auto experience.

Expect big smile and wide eyes....

(follow up picture will no doubt be Jeff on the phone with his wife explaining the need for a modest consumer loan.)
Old January 7, 2000, 11:54 PM   #6
Jeff Thomas

Rob, you are one bad boy.
Old January 9, 2000, 03:32 AM   #7
fastforty

Advice? Dress WARM !!!

I've attended Front Sight's Submachinegun courses, along with about a dozen other Front Sight courses. Currently working on my Handgun Combat Master degree. The school's founder, Dr. Piazza as you may know, was the second man in the world to complete the rigorous Four Weapons Combat Master Certification. He has attended virtually every course offered by virtually every firearms training facility in the United states, repeating many of those courses numerous times. (See "Founder's Message" at link below. Also, "Our Students Speak".) His school is top notch, his instructors are very adept.

The article in February's Guns&Ammo mentions the use of the open bolt, Cobray M-11. They have just purchased 120 brand new Uzi's, which will bring much satisfaction to all who attend the FREE one-day course, as outlined in G&A.
http://www.frontsight.com

Seeya all there
Old January 10, 2000, 12:59 AM   #8
Rob Pincus

So, does that mean that you'll be there too, fastforty?

Old February 15, 2000, 08:42 AM   #9
Keifer

I just got back from the free course held on 2/11/00. We shot the UZI's in the course and it was a blast! About 20 students were instructed by 5 or 6 instructors all day in the proper deployment and use of the SMG. In the morning, we concentrated on handling, operation, and controlled bursts to the thoracic cavity. In the afternoon, we worked on failure to stop drills with single rounds to the ocular cranial cavity. With the UZI, it was very easy to consistently put on (or occasionally two) rounds into the head. Dr. Piazza stated that the UZI is the easiest subgun with which to master this feat. He said the HK MP5 is the Rolls Royce of subguns but it's higher cyclic rate makes single round shots very difficult (but certainly not impossible) to master. The course finale consisted of two magazines of "go till you're empty" rock and roll full auto. All of the instructors stated many times that anything more than a three to five round burst from a subgun is a waste of ammo but that Front Sight knew that was why people wanted to attend the course. The final magazine was on a clean target that we got to keep as a souvenier. The course was followed by a sales pitch about Front Sight First Family memberships. It was a voluntary attendance meeting and I thought the fact that they put it after the course and made it voluntary showed a lot of class. Everyone in my class attended anyway. There were two women in my class; one of whom was my wife. Both enjoyed the course, learned much, and shot well. I encourage anyone who wants to learn how to shoot a subgun or familiarize themselves with a different type, to attend the course. You really have nothing to lose, unless you stay in Las Vegas like we did. If you do stay in Las Vegas, you'll need to rent a car and when you do, make sure you get something with enough horsepower to make it over the 5000' pass between vegas and the school. Do yourself a favor and go.