The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 20, 2009, 05:15 PM   #26
armoredman

Always wanted one, could never find/afford one. One character in an adventure serial carried one, can't remember the name of the book.
Old October 20, 2009, 05:46 PM   #27
SteelJM1

Ooh. I'll need to get one of these for the zombie invasion. Just think of how easy it would be to barter for ammo!
Old October 20, 2009, 05:53 PM   #28
HeroHog

Will it shoot 9x23 or 9x29 (9mm WinMag)?

I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `Nuff said.
Old October 21, 2009, 11:03 PM   #29
Charger Fan

Wait a minute...it's page 2 already & there's not pics of this new gun? We need pics!

Woops, I see this thread started over a year ago...
Old October 22, 2009, 12:13 PM   #30
Jeff #111

Production run of 500 with approximately half going out of the United States. Possibly to countries that restrict how many handguns or firearms that one can own? In a country like Brazil the Medusa would really hold it's own.
Old October 24, 2009, 04:09 AM   #31
harrison_20319

Got one

I've had this pistol for many years. It's amazingly accurate. I have shot it with all the ammo that it said it would fire and it works as desribed but I liked the .357 the best or even the 38 special. I did like the smaller ammo just because it feels like a 22 when I was using the 380 or smaller. I haven't fired the pistrol alot but enough to know it works and is accurate. Most pistols are more accurate thab the person shooting it anyway. I plan on selling mine because I want a rifle. Either a .223 bolt action or .45ACP in a rifle and yes I have seen a few. I want it to use the .45 so I can use my pistol ammo in a carbine etc. So if anyone is looking for one in/aroundTexas area we can make a tradeor something. Oh and I have oics if someone jusy wants to see one..send me your addy or tell me how to post a pic.
Old November 29, 2009, 01:13 PM   #32
Glenn

JWPhillips2

Jonathan, I purchased a Medusa from you a few years ago and would like to get in touch with you about a possible schematic and other things. I have purchased some spare parts from Gary Reeder (as a "just in case") and would like to know which additional parts I should purchase that are unique to the Medusa. Bye the Bye, I really enjoy the gun and shoot it just about every week at the range. [email protected]
Old November 29, 2009, 03:46 PM   #33
surfzombie

Found one at auction on gunbroker.com Starting bid is $2500.00 Cool gun but WOW on the price.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=147901532
Old December 8, 2009, 10:54 PM   #34
nospam865

Parts

Does anyone know where to get an extractor for one of these? If there aren't any parts available, any info on how and what the extractor is made of so I can have my brother (a machinist) make a new one?
Old December 9, 2009, 12:08 AM   #35
TimM

Where's the photos?
Old December 9, 2009, 12:21 PM   #36
D-Ric902

Didn't Gary Reeder make one of these called the Scorpion or something like that. Black Chrome and engraved.
Old December 9, 2009, 01:04 PM   #37
SaberOne

Not a clue but sounds like quite the gun!
Old December 21, 2009, 12:00 PM   #38
Lar45

I was very sad to see you guys go. That was a dirty deed from Colt.
Even with the recession, there seems to be alot of money being spent on custom firearms. I wonder if you guys could start back up with just making cylinders?

Smith & Wesson should do this on the 500 and pay you royalties. On my 4" 500, when extracting shells with the barrel pointed down, the tiny rim slips over the extractor and falls back into the cylinder. If this happend trying to reload in an emergency situation, it could cost you your life or a leg to a hungry bear. I contacted S&W about this, they said that they have no control over reloaded ammo, I said it was factory new ammo, they said to point the barrel up.

Here are some of the pics from the Gunbroker auction:

Old December 21, 2009, 04:14 PM   #39
Lar45

For a multi-caliber semi-auto handgun, I have a Star Super in 9mm Largo. I modified it to shoot 38 Super and it will feed and shoot most everything from 380 to 38 Super. I cut a small lip in the hood for the semi-rim of the 38 Super to headspace on. The magazine lips needed tweaked a little also. I cut down a recoil buffer for a 1911 to fit, but I'm not sure if it really needs it.

If you look at the bullet weight and velocity of the 9mm Largo and 38 Super, they are really close. The length and diameter of the cases are almost identicle. The Star Super looks like a well built solid gun and should be much stronger than the Astra 400 blow back that everyone is going to holler saying, you can't shoot 38 Super in a 9mm Largo...

I can load a magazine with a mix of 9mm Para, 9mm Largo and 38 Super and it will feed, cycle and shoot them all without any problems. It will feed and fire a 380, but it doesn't have enough power to cycle the slide.
I'm sure someone is going to say it's bad for the extractor. I'm not planning on shooting it with odd ammo every day, but if I needed to it's nice to know that it will.
Old December 22, 2009, 02:00 AM   #40
Atlatlien

Here's one

Too expensive for me but I sure can wish...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=150914489

Unlike the other auction, this one started at the somewhat more reasonable floor price of $1000.00 and is at $1225.00 as of this post. 4 days left, I'll be watching this one to see where it ends up.
Old December 22, 2009, 02:45 AM   #41
Foreverunstopable

The Medusa

I just piked up a Phillips & Rogers 47. It does everything it said it will and more. Mr. Phillips, thank you for an incredible firearm. Would you mind answering a few questions? My serial number starts with AAA and is in the 1020's. Does that mean its #20? Something else that caught my attention.

"Sometimes when an expanded case like a .30 carbine or 356 TSW gets jammed in the chamber, it's a natural tendency to gently tap on the extractor rod to eject the reluctant case. DON'T DO THIS."

Does this mean I can fire .30 carbine (7.62x33mm) as well as 7.62x25mm?

The Medusa didn't come with a manual and I'm extremely curious to know exactly what calibers it can chamber and fire safely.

Any information would be well appreciated!

Here are more pictures for the rest of you. I'll have targets posted soon.

Old December 22, 2009, 02:47 AM   #42
Foreverunstopable

Old December 25, 2009, 04:57 AM   #43
Linear

Well JW I'm convinced...Now i just need to find one

I've seen 2 for sale in online auctions since I've started looking, 1 for around $1000 that was listed as excellent cond. but looked a little on the used side...pass...another which is still (and repeatedly) on auction for between $2500-$3500 because of the "rarity" of its Satin Nickel finish and looks factory fresh.

I would think 1K is a reasonable price for a factory fresh Medusa...I like the way the satin nickel looks but honestly couldnt care less what finish it has...at least not enough to fork out that kind of dough.

If anyone has advice on tracking down a factory cond. Medusa I would greatly appreciate it.

I check the online auctions every other day...have already tried the local gun expo and firearm vendors...it's depressing how many folks who know mountains more about guns than I do give me a blank look when I ask about finding a Medusa....

merry x-mas
Old December 27, 2009, 09:42 AM   #44
ceadermtnboy

Gary Reeder at Reeder Custom guns one of his versions called the scorpion for sale on his website now.

Arthur
Old December 28, 2009, 06:29 AM   #45
Linear

Unfortunatly for the Scorpian does not seem as reliable as the medusa, at least as far as useing p+ or +p+ ammo...no, the Medusa is tough as guts and thats a big reason why i want one.

From what ive read almost 1\2 of the scorpians produced were returned to the manufactuerer for repairs. With JW's warnings about what to do and what not to do with the medusa i would rather throw my $ in that direction.

Ty for trying though

BTW, i know nothing about the production of firearms...but when Mr. Phillips said that the Medusa's production was 500 with roughly half going out of country, did that mean 500 total or 500 per production run...500 per year say.

I guess what im asking is: How many Medusa's are there out in the world?

Last edited by Linear; December 28, 2009 at 06:41 AM. Reason: ps
Old January 5, 2010, 03:11 PM   #46
Glenn

Medusa manual

I have a Medusa owners manual. I could (I think) attach the significant pages to an email. Let me know
Old January 8, 2010, 12:14 AM   #47
Foreverunstopable

Manual

Glenn, will you please post the manual in its entirety? I would be greatly appreciative! I have a Medusa but no manual. Im interested to learn anything you may know. Thanks.
Old January 20, 2010, 01:15 PM   #48
Glenn

Foreverstopable, I sent an email to the address on this system but no reply
Old January 20, 2010, 01:16 PM   #49
Glenn

oops...ForeverUNstopable
Old January 20, 2010, 09:14 PM   #50
Pezo

I'm turning to STONE!