The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 13, 2015, 10:58 AM   #1
IDT

Alien Gear Holsters - I can't recommend them...

Ok - so here is the full video review I did on the Alien Gear Cloak Slide holster for the Springfield XDS-4.0 in .45acp...

The short is that I don't think this is a safe holster for two reasons.
1) The belt loop straps are too narrow and not enough material around the grommets. This could cause a failure and an unsafe condition.
2) There is excess leather on the back that interferes with drawing the weapon. This can cause a bad draw, a dropped gun, or other catastrophic conditions.
I cannot recommend the Alien Gear Cloak Slide for the Springfield XDS to anyone until Alien Gear fixes those issues.
For $35.00, I can overlook many many things, but safety factors are not one of them.
I will be taking advantage of their 30 day warranty and I will be sending this holster back.

If someday in the future they decide to fix those issues, I will be willing to try them again - but I can't trust my life to a holster that may keep me from drawing my weapon. It's my opinion that the holster was neither designed nor QC'd by a "shooter."
Click Here For The Full Video Review
Old February 13, 2015, 12:25 PM   #2
phwe9774

This is the first negative anything I've heard about alien gear. I don't use one myself but a number of friends do and they all recommended it when I was looking for a new holster. None of them carry an XDS 45 or OWB so it doesn't exactly line up with this review, but, like I said, this is the first negative I've heard about alien gear. Kinda surprised honestly
Old February 13, 2015, 12:32 PM   #3
IDT

Quote:
This is the first negative anything I've heard about alien gear. I don't use one myself but a number of friends do and they all recommended it when I was looking for a new holster. None of them carry an XDS 45 or OWB so it doesn't exactly line up with this review, but, like I said, this is the first negative I've heard about alien gear. Kinda surprised honestly
If you take a look at the video you can see what I'm talking about.
I am very positive about certain aspects of the holster, but because my two complaints are safety based, I can't recommend the holster.

Other than the belt loops, my issue is specific to the XDS-4.0 .45acp and this holster - other guns *may* not have that same issue. I think my review is fair and I give credit where it's due and criticisms where it's needed..
Old February 13, 2015, 06:34 PM   #4
tobnpr

The clearance issue is, well, just that- a real issue, legitimate "beef". Far as the belt loops, I would agree that something a bit more substantial would be better.

However, given that you seem to predicting premature failure based on your belief that they're too thin- without having worn it for any length of time, let alone actually witnessing even the beginnings of failure is, IMO, unfair.

I own a Cloak Tuck (Kahr CM9), couldn't be happier with it. They're cheap (as they should be), functional, and secure.

I do find it interesting that their rubber "spacers" are itty bitty pieces of fuel hose...
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old February 13, 2015, 06:46 PM   #5
IDT

Quote:
Far as the belt loops, I would agree that something a bit more substantial would be better.

However, given that you seem to predicting premature failure based on your belief that they're too thin- without having worn it for any length of time, let alone actually witnessing even the beginnings of failure is, IMO, unfair.
I can see why you'd say that - but hear me out for a second.

If you went to go buy a set of tires for your car and you noticed that the rubber was very thin - you would assume that the tires would wear out prematurely and you would probably skip the purchase.

In this case, I have to trust my sidearm to two small straps of leather. I am sorry, but I am not going to use something that I feel is going to fail during use. If I were a testing lab - sure, I'd hold onto it and pull and tug and stretch and otherwise abuse the holster to see how it holds up. I am not going to take the risk that my assumption is correct and that after a period of time the holster belt loops will fail.

And to be fair, had AlienGear posted photos of the backside of this holster or a 360 degree view, I would have passed on the purchase and this thread never would have existed... but they didn't afford me the opportunity to see the entire product and when I saw the back - well, that combined with the clearance issue, are deal breakers for me.

Blemishes, loose screws and bad cuts (not that those existed, just as examples) are cases of QC errors that I can and do live with - but when it comes to safety and overall weapon retention, I am not going to cut corners and I don't expect the company to either.

I wasn't trying to be unfair...just very picky when it comes to safety.
Old February 14, 2015, 09:16 AM   #6
tobnpr

I'm not saying you are "wrong", just that it's an assumption. The leather straps might fail- but I also think one would notice the beginnings of a tear, or wearing out of the mounting hole (for instance) and that it wouldn't be an out-of-the-blue catastrophic type failure without warning.

Again, I agree with your premise that they're cheesy... I wonder why they don't make them out of the same plastic compound they use on the IWB Cloak Tuck. They're wide, and substantial. Even getting in and out of my car/truck, running, etc. it holds the handgun securely without shifting. With my old one, I needed to "re-adjust" every time I got out of my truck- and try to do it inconspicuously if others were around.

Though as cheap as you could get, the rubber spacers are a very clever idea, IMO. Quick and infinitely adjustable as to tension desired with a few turns of an allen wrench.

I think you should contact A.G. to discuss your concerns- especially the clearance issue with drawing the weapon. I'm sure they are unaware of this and would appreciate the input.

Edit to add:

The Cloak Tuck allows for cant adjustment. Is this not possible with the OWB model? Might not be ideal depending on positioning, but could increase clearance between the gun and top of the holster for finger space.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old February 14, 2015, 10:25 AM   #7
rocket12

If you don't like the leather belt loops, why didn't you order it with the metal belt clips??? they work much better.
Old February 16, 2015, 04:55 PM   #8
JHLL

I own and use a few of their holsters. In fact waiting for another. I'm very happy with them.
Old March 13, 2015, 03:05 PM   #9
Moomooboo

Yea leather buckles i wouldnt do that either.