The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 29, 2008, 09:09 PM   #1
troy_mclure

how many people do you see carrying?

how many people do you see carrying in a week where you live?

just today in the mall i saw 3 people i was absolutely sure were carrying, and another 2 that i felt were very likely carrying.

1 was a hot chick, she was carrying on her right ankle, i noticed as she was trying on a pair of shoes.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old December 29, 2008, 09:11 PM   #2
vytoland

zero.......i am in illinois
Old December 29, 2008, 09:15 PM   #3
dmwphoto

if they are doing it right we should not see any.
Old December 29, 2008, 09:20 PM   #4
tranks

i've only seen two people besides the clerks at the gun shop carrying and it was my friend and his dad.

but i don't walk around public places very often.

"Stan, what did I tell you about watching the Osbournes? It's going to make you retarded!" Stan's Mom (south park)
Old December 29, 2008, 09:26 PM   #5
Recon7

I saw one guy on a motorcycle wearing 5.11 pants and then noticed his barrel peeking out from under his jacket.

Another guy in a vest at a gas station, same thing wearing on the waistband with too short of a cover garment.

Both cases, I looked at them closely because of the way they were dressed.

I live in an open carry state, and I think there is something to be said about crummy concealment being at least better than open carry. That is as long as you don't intend on ignoring any signs.
Old December 29, 2008, 10:27 PM   #6
Teuthis

I'm in southern Arizona. I see people carrying openly at times; once a month or so if I'm looking. You rarely notice anyone carrying concealed, largely because the older people do not seem to be carrying firearms down here.
Old December 29, 2008, 11:38 PM   #7
chris in va

I've carried primarily in VA and KY and hardly ever seen anyone carrying outside of a gun store or range.

I did see a couple guys open carrying near WalMart, but discovered they were detectives when I saw the badge on the belt...
Old December 30, 2008, 12:49 AM   #8
2cooltoolz

Texas; Never, Ever, spotted a true CCW (CHL here). We kinda have a "don't look at me" attitude here that is pretty well accepted, but I have been trying to find it on "likely"types (including my own category...semi-retired mid 50 white guys). Never spotted one yet! And a lot of us carry! That's why I have been semi comfortable lately carrying my CS45...in my pocket!!!
Old December 30, 2008, 01:44 AM   #9
jfrey123

I make it a point to play "Spot the CCW" when I'm out and about. It's one way to keep yourself alert to your surroundings at all times.

Obvious ones are the vests and ManPacks. One guy was carrying a fanny pack with a fixed blade knife, tactical ring flashlight, and mace all attached on the outside. One other time I saw a man wearing the fishing or tactical vest (your choice of words), but unfortunately the vest was A) too tight and B) buttoned up around his gut and his fullsized something-or-another was printing beautifully.

Here in Reno, I spot a person I believe to be armed about once a week. I'm usually only out on the weekends, but it's fairly random when I spot one. Shopping mall, grocery, movie theater, etc. they're all around up here.
Old December 30, 2008, 01:57 AM   #10
scorpion_tyr

2cooltoolz seems to be right. I'm from Texas as well, and I know a lot of people around here carry. I've never played "spot the CCW". True it would help enhance SA by trying to figure out who has what where. The reason I don't do it is, duh, everyone has a gun in Texas! I just assume everyone else has a gun, but nobody is planning to do anything legal with it.
Old December 30, 2008, 02:08 AM   #11
hoytinak

You can usually spot a new carrier by their body movment (pulling down on the outer garment, pushing up on where a holster would be....stuff like that). I'm a people watcher as it is, I've spotted several that I believed to be carrying concealed. Even some of the ones that have been carrying for a while are easy cause alot of them don't even try to hide it anymore...around here (the panhandle) it's a normal day for the wind to be 20-25 mph and I've seen tons of people that just let their outer garment blow around exposeing their CCW. But then again...it is Texas and I know ALOT of people CC around here.
Old December 30, 2008, 10:05 AM   #12
amprecon

The only CCW's I've ever noticed were those on motorcycles during the summer, flying down the highway, the air blows their shirt half-way up their back exposing their CCW's fully.
Then when I was buying my motorcycle, the owner made a customer leave the store to leave his weapon in his car before she'd let him in and had her hand on her CCW during that entire encounter. After he came back in they exchanged apologies and he went about shopping. I never saw it on him. Guess she'd been there, done that before enough to make her wary.
Old December 30, 2008, 10:42 AM   #13
thirdeagle

I'm in Athens, GA and I've seen two people carrying in two years. The first guy was open carrying at a local Blockbuster (no one said a word - life went on as usual). The second was an older fellow carrying at McDonalds. I didn't see his wheelgun (must have been in his front pocket) but I did see his reloads in a leather pouch on his belt. I could almost read the headstamp. The guy noticed me giving him a quick look over and would only present his right side to me. His reloads were at 2 o'clock so I'm guessing he was a lefty with his revo in his left pocket??
Old December 30, 2008, 11:26 AM   #14
cnutco

Saw a guy OC in Ingles and from time to time I see ppl OC walking into gas stations.

I find myself trying to spot CCW when I am out. A few possibles but no for sure CCW spotted.
Old December 30, 2008, 11:41 AM   #15
AirForceShooter

The truth is I don't look.

AFS
Old December 30, 2008, 02:56 PM   #16
Keltyke

I don't look, and I don't care. I don't look for good guys, I look for bad guys. Besides, unless the person accidentally flashes, you may SUSPECT, but you never KNOW, so what's the point?

What you people really SHOULD be looking at is the guy who makes your hair stand on end or the crowd of people who look like they're out hunting trouble.
Old December 30, 2008, 03:54 PM   #17
anythingshiny

funny enough i dont look for cw either...i normally 'pass them by' when looking around...hence i'd think i would get looked over too as i try to avoid the big give-aways...i'll have to play that game at the mall next time.

although i did chat with a guy at a book store the other day because he asked who made my bag...maxpedition...he obviously id'd it as a tacticool thing but we were both a tad coy about the fact. turns out he was affiliated with a company that makes shoot houses and we actually knew a few of the same folks....

without going off on the man bag/murse tangent...i have carried a mountainsmith lumbar back over the shoulder for over 20 years...so the current crop of cool man bags covered in MOLLE is not a big deal to me, i have have a 'bag of evil' as MERCOP calls it, on my shoulder for a long time.

The gun usually stays on my hip but occ goes in the bag depending on weather and situation...anyway..i showed him the bag and it was a nice chat
Old December 30, 2008, 04:03 PM   #18
Creature

Quote:
I don't look, and I don't care. I don't look for good guys, I look for bad guys. Besides, unless the person accidentally flashes, you may SUSPECT, but you never KNOW, so what's the point?

What you people really SHOULD be looking at is the guy who makes your hair stand on end or the crowd of people who look like they're out hunting trouble.
I 100% agree with Keltyke.
Old December 30, 2008, 04:55 PM   #19
Deet

I've seen a few, but I'm sure I didn't see quite a few, I guess that's why they call it concealed carry.
Old December 30, 2008, 05:22 PM   #20
megarouge

I Have only seen 2 people carrying and both were too busy holding up their pants to have realized there was a pistol outline at their pockets.
Old December 30, 2008, 05:36 PM   #21
wayneinFL

Most of the people I've noticed carrying are those with fanny packs or photographer's vests. I see people with cargo shorts or Hawaiian shorts and often wonder if they're carrying, but I don't think I've ever seen an imprint.
Old December 30, 2008, 05:38 PM   #22
badlander

I saw A guy yesterday He had A Short 1911 stuffed in his left rear jeans pocket muzzle up tight jeans. Have no idea how long it would take to draw it?
Old December 30, 2008, 06:14 PM   #23
Recon7

No idea why you were staring at his tight jeans
Old December 30, 2008, 07:23 PM   #24
jfrey123

Quote:

I look for those guys too, but I figure why limit myself? If SHTF, and a fellow CCW'er draws beside me, I'd like to think I've already assessed that guy and decided he's on my team.

I simply make it a point to quickly glance over each person I see out in public. A marine on here once had a sig line that read something to the effect of: "Be professional, be polite, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet", and I think that sort of fits what I'm talking about. The person who makes my hair stand up on end gets my attention for sure, but the soccer dad next to him in the check out line deserves a quick look over as well.
Old December 30, 2008, 07:46 PM   #25
the foot

I see many young guys trying to CC under a long t-shirt but printing like crazy. I only started noticing because that's how my son carries in warm weather.

When I see a guy with a fannie pack that's out of context with the situation, or a gal (like my wife does) clutching a leather holster-handbag, I assume there is a CCW in there somewhere. There has to be.

And in my environment, old white haired guys like me are pretty much all carrying. But I never see the weapon.