The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 29, 2014, 08:31 PM   #1
kwm1971

re-use nickel plated cases

I reload my target, hunting, and defense ammo. I almost bought some hornady critical defense round (.40SW), but wasn't sure if I could reload the nickel plated cases.

I am using LEE pistol dies for my 9mm & .40SW. Can I resize & re-use these cases with my LEE dies?
Old June 29, 2014, 08:38 PM   #2
StripesDude

I do. Have a bunch that I picked up at the range, and have reloaded them multiple times without issues. From what I hear, they may not last as long as brass, but I haven't had any split or bulge yet.
Old June 29, 2014, 08:54 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

No trouble with reloading them. Some seem more fragile than others. I've got some Speer Gold Dot nickel plated cases in .357sig that crack on firing the factory load about 1/3rd of the time. I don't even try reloading them. Other folks report using some nickel plated stuff until the nickel wears off.
Old June 29, 2014, 09:55 PM   #4
William T. Watts

I have embedded nickle in a RCBS sizing die

Nickle can damage a steel sizing die if the nickle starts to flake off the case, personally I have damaged a sizing die that RCBS replaced for me "free". RCBS further stated if I damaged any more sizing dies I would have to replace them myself. I no longer use nickle cases period! If your using a carbide sizer for a pistol round the carbide may be hard enough that nickle can't damage the die! William
Old June 30, 2014, 07:26 AM   #5
chiefr

Been reloading NI for years. The more you size, the more NI will strip off.
I have never been a fan of NI brass even though it looks cool. If it is given to me or range pickup, I use.
NI plating was created for long term holster carry. Primarily for law enforcement personnel. It does not tarnish like brass.
Old June 30, 2014, 07:59 AM   #6
mnoirot64

I've never had any issues reloading nickel plated brass. I like the way it looks.
Old June 30, 2014, 11:18 AM   #7
mikld

If you ask questions about nickel plated brass, use common sense when reading the answers. Nickel is a relatively "soft" metal, softer than steel. Normally a "softer" metal is cut/scratches by a harder metal. Flaking may occur, but rare (I've seen less than 1/2 dozen in 30 years)

The plating process may shorten the case life, but in my experience, not enough to notice. I have some .38, .357, .44 Mag. nickel cases, some 30+ years old (some range pick-ups from late '69-early '70s), and have not seen any noticable shorter lifespan...

I'm not a chemical engineer nor a professional plating expert, just my personal experiences and observations (I started loading .38 Specials with nickel range pickups in '69 with a Lee Loader).
Old June 30, 2014, 12:10 PM   #8
TylerOutdoorsman

I've loaded lots of 38 special in Nickel Cases. Ruined a steel sizing die doing it. (deep scratches in the cases after sizing) I have a carbide sizing die now and haven't noticed and scratches in my cases yet.
"...Let he who does not have a sword, sell his cloak and buy one." Luke 22:36b

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
Old June 30, 2014, 01:02 PM   #9
Shootest

Quote:
I've loaded lots of 38 special in Nickel Cases. Ruined a steel sizing die doing it. (deep scratches in the cases after sizing) I have a carbide sizing die now and haven't noticed and scratches in my cases yet.
Me too.
Old June 30, 2014, 01:13 PM   #10
Sevens

I have been using nickel plated handgun brass since the late 1980s. I have not yet ever harmed a carbide sizing die using this brass. Matter of fact, the first die set I ever purchased was a Lee .38 Special 3-die set, early 1989, and I'm still sizing all of my .38 Special with that same exact die. We're talking many tens of thousands of loaded rounds, and a huge percentage of that has been nickel plated brass.

In all those years, I've learned a few things about nickel plated handgun brass at the load bench:

--it stays cleaner no matter the load
--it cleans far easier and is cleaner to begin with because of the above
--it definitely will not give an equal service life to brass, on average, across the board

In a low pressure round like .38 Special, I very much prefer nickel plated brass. Besides the fact that it stays cleaner and it looks pleasing to the eye... nickel plated brass slides in to chambers and out of chambers easier. It's got a much more slick surface. If I were competing with a revolver and I wanted that small edge of smooth, slick handling in/out of the the chambers, I'd go nickel for sure.

In a high pressure round, nickel plated brass tends to split lengthwise far, FAR earlier in it's life than does brass. I have seen it enough times to know that it is simply true, and the best evidence I've seen from it is from .327 Federal Magnum brass. I find this to be a good example because this brass is all of fairly recent manufacture, so it's history is not suspect nor up for debate. And I have almost equal amounts of brass and nickel plated .327, so I've watched the rate of eventual case failure and I'm certain of my position on it.

In a lower pressure revolver round, I'd rather be using nickel plated brass. However, if I'm purchasing brass (new or used, either way) or I'm trading something to get it and I have the option of choosing, I know that chasing down brass is far more likely to get me a longer service life than nickel plated.

For anyone with a huge supply of nickel plated .38 Special who either does NOT like or fears using it... send me a PM if you're interest in swapping it 1-for-1 for brass .38 Special. Not interested in other calibers though.
Old June 30, 2014, 03:05 PM   #11
Salmoneye

I have nickel .357 cases from the early 90's I am still loading...
Old June 30, 2014, 03:50 PM   #12
docskeet

I routinely reload 45 ACP nickel brass. I have had no issues (Dillon dies). Also, with the nickel brass I don't lube the cases.
Old June 30, 2014, 07:24 PM   #13
filthy phil

I load it all.
Brass, nickel, even steel
Old June 30, 2014, 07:54 PM   #14
Farmland

I have a friend that just started reloading a few years ago. I stopped one day to pick up the Dillon trimmer we share. He just happened to mention some one gave him a lot of 9mm and 40 brass but he has to go through it and toss the steel cases.

I took a look and it was all nickle plated. I explained that he could reload these with no problems. Over the past three years he estimates that he tosses several thousand cases. He has another good friend that is a range master for a large VA police department and gets a lot of free brass.
Old June 30, 2014, 09:01 PM   #15
Fullthrottle

I have a small amount(250pcs) of nickel plated .38spcl and .357mag, that I got from my grandfather before he passed. He had not been reloading for 25yrs when I obtained them. And I have no clue how old they are or how many reloading's they have been through. Also the have the low crimp ring on them as many older WC do!

I have reloaded them at least 4 times now using a carbide die. No issues yet!
Old July 1, 2014, 02:25 PM   #16
WESHOOT2

I have nickeled 357 Magnum cases I've been loading since 1976. And I bought them used
Old July 2, 2014, 09:41 AM   #17
datum214

long lasting

I have Winchester nickel .280 brass that is on it's 12th loading and primer pockets are still holding in. Most of my R.P. brass the pockets are done at 9 loadings or less. I'm not sure if the nickel coating has an effect on that or if it is just the difference in the brass. I anneal every third or fourth firing and clean the "burn" marks with fine still wool which has started to wear the nickel but I haven't had any peal and haven't noticed any residue in my die's (RCBS FL and Redding body). I've just started using it in .357 so I will pay attention to the condition and it's effect on the carbide die.
Old July 3, 2014, 11:45 AM   #18
bedbugbilly

Do it all the time. In fact, for some calibers I much prefer nickel. I use Lee dies and no problem.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old July 3, 2014, 01:11 PM   #19
mehavey

Throw the nickel-plated stuff into your tumbler w/ walnut.
After a week (or so), they'll be plain brass again.